DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 12/2/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Wasn’t the expansion into the US a Meij thing and people behind the scenes wondered why he was pushing so hard for that? I swear I remember reading something about it in the Observer when he got fired or whatever.

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

JFC... I thought we said no mid-show comments. ? 

To be fair, when's the last time you had shows so consistently exciting that you had to enforce that rule? ? 

3 hours ago, Jiji said:

Did anybody else think for a hot second that they spent more money on Glacier's new tron than WCW did on his outfit with that Sting debut?

Had the same thought immediately. Especially with the snowfall going. Then his name flashed on the screen and it was on. Delightful.

I like that AEW recognizes a class of legend that WWE avoids. And Sting getting that kind of shine as King Shit was the greatest. Classic segment. 

Everyone harping on the Darby interaction is nice, but no way Sting finds himself in the ring again if Cody can't involve himself at some point. And no lie, I'm here for it. 

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I've missed Callis on commentary on Impact. Madison Rayne is okay but Callis was really good on there. 

Callis was even better here than in Impact, where him and Josh are inclined to grab-ass and not take things occasionally on a semi-regular basis. Here (and at the PPV) he was all-business enhancing Kenny's work. He's better at calling Omega matches than any of AEW's regular commentators. He applies a narrative and drives story for Kenny so well, and I say that as someone who leans toward thinking Kenny is highly overrated. 

Callis on commentary during the main event was low-key the MVP of this show.

3 hours ago, EVA said:

It was good to see Jungle Boy get featured in the battle royal after we were just lamenting his recent booking.

I was thinking about that during the match. Added a lot of fun to a pretty good battle royal.

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

FTR are on twitter calling out both The North and MCMG. I'd love to see both of those. Same with the Bucks working those teams (again, in the case of the Guns).

I can only get so erect.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I could be wrong, but I don’t see how FTR vs The North can be title vs title when neither team has titles, and Ethan Page is probably leaving Impact and not doing anymore shows with them this year due to exposure to COVID.

Fine. I'll settle for non-title and we'll check in with Page in January. 

• Like 3

Re: the Impact relationship, the people saying Impact has a lot more to gain from this and AEW risks diminishing its reputation are correct. That said, the optics of how TV wrestling shows present in a pandemic is a great equalizer. 

I won't bother fantasy booking too extensively because I know Jordynne Grace squashing Shida isn't coming. Probably...

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 1

I don't think AEW has to get anything out of this other than compelling television.   Their world champion is appearing on a "rival" promotion's program. It's different and opens up the door for some possible cross promotion match ups..  

Mox was attacked a few weeks back,  we now know that it likely was not Omega who did it,  it could have been the Good Brothers for all we know.  Kenny,  obsessed with besting Mox and finally becoming world champion in AEW turns to his former NJPW buds in Good Brothers/Don Callis?  Possible.   He said a couple weeks ago he had a plane to catch so I presume he was orchestrating this for a minute. 

• Like 3

While we're on the women's division, after two appearances on Dynamite it's clear to me that Leyla Hirsch is worth developing and I hope they invest considerably in her. Britt's also improved, but it was clear where she was pulling a couple of her kicks. 

Shida being scared of a crawling cosplayer last week made little sense. This week, I feel it made even less. This is rough stuff. 

1 minute ago, DangerMark said:

It speaks to how much good will AEW has built up with its fanbase that people can look at this, and look at pretty much any invasion angle in the history of pro-wres and still be excited. 

ROH/CZW had a great match.  InVasion angles have left a bad taste in my mouth because of WWE and really only because of WWE. I can't think of one that was more haphazard and insulting than the WCW/ECW Invasion. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, DangerMark said:

It speaks to how much good will AEW has built up with its fanbase that people can look at this, and look at pretty much any invasion angle in the history of pro-wres and still be excited. 

As opposed to a Kenny Omega title win just presented straight up? Give me the side-order of sloppy invasion angle, please. 

If there's one thing Impact has over AEW, it's the women's division. Their women's division possibly even rivals WWE's just in terms of overall talent ability and skill. If there is some invasion angle here, not sure how well it will translate, but I mean ideally, you'd want both divisions to get something out of it. Maybe the less experienced women can get some more ring time in Impact, but we'll see.

Let's just say I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm open to the idea of it being something good. 

And as far as invasions go, I think the ROH vs. CZW one from the aughts went fairly well, though I can't say I was well-versed or knew much about CZW at the time. But I was a fan of Super Dragon.

I'm not sure this needs to be a full-on war or invasion either, but just some minor promotional crossovers.

I definitely agree in this era of pandemic wrestling, North American promotions cooperating and working together for now and helping each other out could be good for everyone. I mean think about this, we could still be dealing with pandemic wrestling in the US for another year. I hope that's not the case, but realistically, it might be. 

Also, it might not go anywhere, but WWE and wrestling have also been facing a lot of that unionization scrutiny, and the major issue with WWE is how they classify their wrestlers as independent contractors when they aren't treated as such. Meanwhile, AEW lets wrestlers work in other promotions, lets them monetize their Twitch accounts and is even working in other promotions. I'm not saying this is a main reason, but secondarily, it makes AEW look like a friendlier place to work and they can say, "Well, we actually treat our workers as independent contractors! You see! Please don't target us!"

• Like 3

I really didn't like the Kazarian/Jericho end.

Kazarian has maybe 5 or 6 believable false finishes on him. That's probably 3 too many, especially when Jericho just kills him dead with the Judas Effect anyway.

Like watching a tennis match where a low ranked guy keeps finding break points against a Federer or Nadal but never converts. If he doesn't break serve, he's a choker who can't seal the deal, rather than competitive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Wasn’t the expansion into the US a Meij thing and people behind the scenes wondered why he was pushing so hard for that? I swear I remember reading something about it in the Observer when he got fired or whatever.

First usa shows were July 2017 with Kenny winning the new usa title. The next show strong style evolved March 2018 was announced in November and that was the show that sold out in 10 minutes and they would have sold out the forum in Inglewood or had a really impressive showing at the staples center. Meij came aboard in may 2018 and it seems like he felt omega and the us expansion were forgone conclusions that wouldn’t require any work or finessing. 

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Would be weird considering that NJPW push into USA started before Meij was hired.

I think the angle at the end really pushed this from OK to GREAT, but more you think about it weirder it gets. I think one of the problems that AEW currently has is that they don't have enough time for everyone they already have signed. Sure, technically AEW could use Impact's women, but who are they going to sideline from their side for it? And then there is a headache of who goes over who. And once you are done do you sign Impact's wrestlers that you liked? Fire your own that got sidelined during this crossover?

Ideally I hope it doesn't result in full out war and they stick on "Omega is working for another promotion" point, maybe add one or two Impact loyalists like Moose to the story so that it feels a bit bigger and provides some back up for Omega. It shouldn't turn into AEW vs Impact, but stay as AEW vs Omega.

Promotions from time to time tend to do big heel storylines about how some wrestler is getting out of control and wants to destroy/take over/whatever the promotion, but it always feels fake-ish because you know that the wrestler is still signed to the company so there is no real gravity to the situation. Impact being a real thing does, in my opinion, bring some credibility to this storyline.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Jiji said:

There kind of is in that NJPW wants to make serious headway into America and AEW is a serious competitor in that territory.

That ship sailed for NJPW as soon as Dynamite got its TNT deal.   There's no way NJPW could compete with AEW without having a weekly show with NJPW's top Stars, and that would require a massive chance in how NJPW does business.

They were never going to make serious headway by running 2-3 big shows a year, and C shows in small tours the rest of the time.

• Like 2

Didn't Shaq just kinda abandon plans to work for WWE two or three different times? If that thing is over, my money is on Shaq backing out.

This is Sting!!! I've said for a long time Darby reminds me of young Sting crossed with Jeff Hardy (others have often said the same) so I hope they find something interesting with the two of them together.

Kenny and Mox was good. The tope sucidia into the V-Trigger was so perfectly timed they managed to air three replays from different angles and not expose it at all.

I'm hyped to see where things go with Kenny/Callis/Impact/whatever. And it feels like it's time for Kenny to have the belt and sink or swim as THE top guy.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

So glad I waited until evening local time and avoided getting spoiled. I can't believe how many noteworthy things were baked into a two-hour TV show, without it feeling over-rushed or jumbled.

Would be nice not to have any 'person X wasn't really eliminated' spots at all, but at least they somewhat subverted it in this Battle Royal. Sammy bumping like a loon for Miro just standing up is on-brand for him, and very much enjoyed seeing Miro and Jungle Boy getting to shine. I bet you could cut glass with Wardlow's nipples with that windchill, but I digress.

He was integral in the first few high profile AEW angles but I agree on Jericho giving us a chance to miss him. I expect under normal circumstances he would have had natural breaks with Fozzy touring etc. which I feel would have been more effective.

Yes Sting is old and decrepit but when he's coming out to Schiavone's announcing, brandishing his bat, cupping his hands and shouting in the middle of the AEW ring, it's still a spectacle.  

And then the main event war, the end to one of the best and most consistent top babyface championship runs in recent memory, and the start of the Winter of Omega (was mentioning the season in the title an allusion to 'Summer of Punk'?). There's something to be said for predictability, there's also something for leaving you going 'What the fuck is happening?' and having your mind spin with the possibilities. I was thinking about the AEW video game exactly like one of the comments above, and how Impact could have its own sub-division but no idea how the licensing and such would work for that.    

As for cross-promotional matches, I'd love to see Leyla Hirsch take on Jordynne Grace and see them throw each other around the ring.

• Like 4

At this point I really want to see Adam Page join The Dark Order. 

Kazarian is such a good talent. Id love to see him pushed a bit. I thougut I heard JR say this was the first ever match between Jericho and Kaz... but I swore they worked a match last year. 

Fell asleep again during the main event.. Will have to catch that on the TNT app replay.

Page joining the Dark Order while Brodie is gone, leading to Brodie coming back and berating folks, and then Page finally has enough- could be a way to rehabilitate Page and split DO up (perhaps Anna+Brodie+Five and Dime+ Uno and Stu and Dime vs Page, Beaver Boys, Colt, and Tay?)  Also gives Page time away from Omega so you can come back to that in a few months when it's time for Omega to lose the belt

Hangman learns how to be a leader, and that's what gets him over the hump?

Edited by alstein
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

This is Sting!!! I've said for a long time Darby reminds me of young Sting crossed with Jeff Hardy (others have often said the same) so I hope they find something interesting with the two of them together.

Yeah, hopefully this Sting / Jeff Hardy crossover goes better than the last one in TNA.

What I love most about the plan is the logic and simplicity.

First: Omega has to take Moxley's finish on the floor. This is so Omega can pretend to be crippled. If he actually does get knocked out, the plan fails.

Second: The referee has to step in immediately and keep Moxley from just throwing Kenny back in the ring and just pinning him. If the referee doesn't do that, the plan fails.

Third: If the referee stops the match because Kenny can't continue, the plan fails.

Fourth: Mox goes through the referees to get to Omega and toss him in the ring. If the referees disqualify Moxley for shoving officials, the plan fails.

Fifth: Callis goes down to the ring to say Kenny is hurt. Mox shoves Callis allowing the microphone to get to Kenny and the referee to pay attention to Callis. If Moxley doesn't push Callis, the plan fails.

Sixth: Kenny hits Mox with the microphone. If the referee hears the impact (har, har) of the microphone BECAUSE ITS A LIVE MICROPHONE, the plan fails. To be fair, all AEW officials are legally blind and deaf so this one is easier to accept.

This is some Machiavellian shit.

Success! 

BONUS Seventh: Kenny and Don run from the ring from nobody. As they get in the car, Alex Marvez jumps out of nowhere to ask what the deal is so Callis can plug Impact. If Marvez isn't standing by the car for no reason, there's no way anyone would know to turn in Tuesday for Impact.

Isn't Dark on Tuesdays?

• Like 6
  • Haha 4