DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 12/2/2020

Dolfan in NYC

I hope Tony Khan and AEW didn't overpay for a 61-year-old nostalgia act that can't really wrestle. I'm somewhat indifferent to bringing Sting in at this point. He turns 62 in March. What he can do in the ring is probably extremely limited, if he can do anything at all, and again, it's a nostalgia act. Sure some people might simply tune into AEW to see if Sting is there, but what's the plan beyond that?

Some people have talked about pairing up Darby Allin with Sting, which OK. Maybe you do that, but is that really going to elevate Darby Allin and put him over more? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Some people have talked about pairing up Darby Allin with Sting, which OK. Maybe you do that, but is that really going to elevate Darby Allin and put him over more? 

I am good with Sting passing the torch... er…. bat to Darby fucking Allin after a PPV title match.  Respect must be earned, after all.

Edited by J.T.

If I have the book, I tell you what I’m doing with this. Sure I’m leading to Omega vs. Mox 2 at Double or Nothing in the bigass AEW/Impact blowoff, but I’m ending that shit like that proposed ending to Freddy vs Jason where Pinhead showed up. Lights out and, no, not NJPW, but motherfucking Matanza Cueto and Dario are wrecking fools to close the show.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

I forgot the show was on (endless Shameless marathon had me) but I turned it on right before the end, they're having a match while I'm doing net stuff and I look up and BOOM Sting is on my TV and Tony is marking the fuck out. Awesome moment. I don't care if he wrestles, he can work the mic for whatever reason or be an enforcer with the bat and it'll fit in anywhere. Real Estate Steve! 

And then they have a great main event where I was not bugged by Omega for once. Don Callis shows up? And THEY'RE GOING TO IMPACT ON TUESDAY?! Holy shit, I thought they couldn't top Sting and they did. And just as an extra kiss blown to me Mox juices for the mic shot. Bravo!

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, MrKothoga said:

I love how much storylines that battle royale featured. From reminding everyone what a beast Miro can be, to Sabian/Miro vs. Best Friends, Spears getting revenge on Sydal for beeing eliminated the last time and his feud with Scorpio Sky, MJF vs. Guevara, MJF vs. Wardlow, a short throwback to MJF vs. Jungle Boy, Hangman maybe joining the Dark Order and Matt Hardy slowly turning heel on Private Party. Okay, one could argue that Matt Hardy turned mega-heel by eliminating John Silver and Hangman Page.

Debut of Sting was cool. Watching WCW in the late 90s as a little kid made me a wrestling fan, mainly because of Sting and DDP fighting the nWo. I'm not really sure what value Sting can bring to the weekly product. He's obviously there to elevate Darby. My first thought was something like Pentagon-Vampiro from Lucha Underground but I don't think Sting has a match left in him, so, who knows. But even if he's just there to talk a little about Darby and dissapears again, maybe some new (old) people tune in and maybe that's all he needs to do.

Shida sighting! This booking... now she's scared of a cosplayer and doesn't know that she's on live tv. Great to make you're champion look strong. Admittedly, she's booked strong in her matches, no complaint there, but her booking outside of the ring is just baffling.

Also: BJ Whitmer sighting. Yeah. Now please get Jimmy Rave (fuck the U.S. health system) and Jimmy Jacobs (I know he's with Impact, but still) so my nostalgic ROH-heart can glow everytime I see one of them.

And: I love how AEW admits beeing part of a larger wrestling world. JR or Tony always namedrop some wrestling trivia from the past, NJPW is mentioned weekly by now, NWA is cross-promoted and now Impact is part of the biggest cross-promoting angle in the US since forever.

This feels like home and a proper send-off for one of my all-time favorites in Sting. Sting, Flair, DDP, Horsemen, Luger, and Steiner Brothers are WCW to me, and AEW is my personal WCW successor, so of course fucking thrilled to see Sting where he belongs (and where we will be treated like the goddamn legend that he is). Like many posters here, he was a childhood favorite and a big reason why I ended up strongly preferring WCW to Vince's product.

After a bit of a slow start, felt like the main event really hit a higher gear till the ending shenanigans (and definitely leaves plenty of room for a likely rematch at Revolution). Love the concept of AEW trying to work with every major fed outside of Vince, and I know that was one of the originals goals for the company. A bit ambivalent about the Impact involvement just because they at the lower rung of groups that resemble major wrestling, but admittedly a fair amount of that is the all of the damage done to the company before Callis and D'Amore inherited things (and that they have had to raise profile of the company just to get on freaking AXS TV). Also, Callis on his own is awesome, so he should strongly help this angle along. If this all ends up with a working relating with New Japan in a roundabout way, it will be well worth worth it. 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I hope Tony Khan and AEW didn't overpay for a 61-year-old nostalgia act that can't really wrestle. I'm somewhat indifferent to bringing Sting in at this point. He turns 62 in March. What he can do in the ring is probably extremely limited, if he can do anything at all, and again, it's a nostalgia act. Sure some people might simply tune into AEW to see if Sting is there, but what's the plan beyond that?

ESPN tweeted out his return so it gets AEW some mainstream exposure.

And being paired with Sting would probably be more beneficial to Darby than him being paired with Cody.

Did anybody else think for a hot second that they spent more money on Glacier's new tron than WCW did on his outfit with that Sting debut?

Also, does this mean we could potentially have Abadon wrestle and then team with Su Yung? ?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, the issue with this is, in no way should AEW  not win theblowoff, and I'm not sure how you have Impact lose without killing what credibility they've struggled to build back up post-Dixie.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I thought that was pretty damned good for a free TV show. I had "Clash of the Champions" level expectations and I don't feel disappointed. They set up a ton of interesting stuff going forward.

I agree with @Jiji about the commercial breaks, but I guess that's what differentiates this from a PPV.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jiji said:

Also, does this mean we could potentially have Abadon wrestle and then team with Su Yung? ?

The Living Dead Girls stable of Abadon, Su Yung, and Rosemary is a license to sell merch.

18 hours ago, hammerva said:

I would rather see Contra Unit.  I mean sure Simon Gotch sucks ass but imagine Jacob Fatu in AEW.

Only if Fatu tags with Lance Anoa'i and both guys are ravenous heels. 

The world is ready for The Samoan SWAT Team 2.0.  Lance is hell bent to get to the WWE, so hopefully someone has a chat with him and offer him a large bag of money.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

If I have the book, I tell you what I’m doing with this. Sure I’m leading to Omega vs. Mox 2 at Double or Nothing in the bigass AEW/Impact blowoff, but I’m ending that shit like that proposed ending to Freddy vs Jason where Pinhead showed up. Lights out and, no, not NJPW, but motherfucking Matanza Cueto and Dario are wrecking fools to close the show.

I would spend all my money to see this happen. 

Also, I thought the whole episode was pretty great. Even the most meh match, Jericho vs Kaz, was decent enough, but I'm kinda over all of the Inner Circle drama. It's all watered down and I just want to see Sammy and MJF fight and Hagar and Wardlow fight.

I hope this isn’t a full-blown invasion angle.  A little bleed over between rosters is fine (clearly it was an Impact guy that attacked Moxley and that score will need to be settled), but brand war really only helps Impact and drags perception of AEW down to their level.

Great show!

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Bryan said:

ESPN tweeted out his return so it gets AEW some mainstream exposure.

And being paired with Sting would probably be more beneficial to Darby than him being paired with Cody.

USA Today covered David Arquette's title win, mainstream exposure rah bah bah.

Except Cody can work actual matches with Darby because he's in his 30s and not his 60s. And Cody was actually able to put him over for the TNT title.

I am good with Sting passing the torch... er…. bat to Darby fucking Allin after a PPV title match.  Respect must be earned, after all.

Except what does that look like in 2020-2021? Can Sting even work beyond maybe hitting a few token Stinger splashes and a Scorpion Deathlock? 

2 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Yeah, the issue with this is, in no way should AEW  not win theblowoff, and I'm not sure how you have Impact lose without killing what credibility they've struggled to build back up post-Dixie.

Impact looking remotely strong on freaking TNT does a shitload of good for the brand, even when they lose whatever blowoff there would be in an inter-promotional feud. I'd argue that AEW is gambling far more by merely doing any kind of cross-promotion with TNA, as one brand is featured live on TNT weekly (at least when damn pandemic is not messing with things) and has an objectively excellent reputation and the other needed a reputation boost and ties with the owner to make it back onto AXS TV. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good show overall. One of the main things that puts Dynamite over Raw and Smackdown for me is that there's no constant "earlier tonight" segments or superfluous bullshit, just matches and promos that are kept to a reasonable length.

The battle royal was fine and while I like MJF and Cassidy I'd have rather had some other people who haven't been featured as prominently get the rub.

Jericho/Kaz was an alright match but I didn't have much investment in it. They almost looked to be setting up Sammy/MJF for the #2 spot in the Inner Circle?

I've not been that hot on Britt Baker so far, but the match with Hirsch was solid. I've been impressed with Hirsch ever since I saw her debut in CZW a few years ago and she's got a lot of upside.

The tag match was decent enough, though I keep expecting Cody to turn at some point. We've got Sting involved with the Nightmare Family now, and everyone knows someone has to turn on Sting, so maybe that can be where he finally turns? Speaking of which...

10 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I've got the same sentiments. Part of it is never having been a Sting fan in my formative years, but I'm pretty ambivalent to him showing up.

The main event was good but not great. I like Kenny well enough but also think he's been one of the most overrated wrestlers around for the past few years. While I understand they wanted Moxley to look strong in dropping the belt, I wasn't big on the fuck finish. I keep forgetting TNA is still a thing that exists and don't really think an invasion/interpromotional feud is really necessary at this point in AEW's juncture. If Callis wants to bring in his own crew of a couple of guys then fine, but AEW already has a big enough roster that is being used marginally. I get AEW wants to be the WCW that could have been, but trying to rehash this aspect of the Monday Night Wars isn't going to do anyone any favors.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WINTER IS COMING. what a show. Holy shit. so much hype from all that. Marked out huge for STING showing up. Definitely did not expect that. For all the times the lights have gone out in AEW, the true shock surprise was finally nailed. I love it. To go from that right in to the epic Moxley/Omega match was wild. Very good match, wasn't sure on the finish but am absolutely stoked for this all leading in to IMPACT! Also loved after how hyped I was for last week's Murderhawk ending, they squeezed in that last little second of Kingston showing up to challenge Archer, can't wait for that! 

Rest of the show was filled with good stuff. Battle royal was highly enjoyable with so much going on adding to different stories. Matt Hardy tossing Hangman was a bit of a surprise. Miro wrecking everyone had him looking like a killer. Thought Jericho/Kazarian was fun while it lasted, marked out for Kaz busting out the Flux Capacitor. One of my all time favorite moves, even though anybody does it nowadays, Kazarian doing it back in 2004 was always my favorite so that was super cool to see and a pretty high spot for him and Jericho. Legit Leyla looked good and another awesome Britt/Thunder brawl.  I'd say this show definitely lived up to the hype. 

• Like 6