DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2020 - WEEK 13 of this cursed season

RIPPA

That was bullshit, but it's not like it was the key event that cost the Steelers the game.  Ben's pick and poor clock management lost the game.

File a grievance for the sake of argument, but there is no sense in moaning about it.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

K-Balls are just an old stupid gimmick born out of the league being mad decades ago about kickers getting Too Good at field goals. Hopefully this exposure of how terrible and exploitable the K-ball switching process can be will lead to getting rid of the balls or getting better refs, or both.

Washington was given a big break in its comeback win over Pittsburgh by the officials wrongly stopping the clock to before Washington kicked a field goal at the end of the first half.

With just seconds remaining in the second quarter and Washington out of timeouts, quarterback Alex Smith was tackled inbounds, and Washington’s field goal team raced onto the field with the clock running. But as the field goal team ran onto the field, Smith ran off — while still carrying the ball.

That meant the officials didn’t have a ball to spot for the next play. Usually, the NFL uses separate “K-balls” for kicking plays, but when a team is hurrying its field goal team onto the field, the officials don’t use the K-ball and instead just use the ball that was used on the previous offensive play. At least, they do when the quarterback doesn’t take the ball with him to the sideline.

But because Smith took the ball with him to the sideline, the officials had to signal to the sideline crew to bring out a K-ball. And when that didn’t happen immediately, the officials stopped the clock with eight seconds left. That gave Washington extra time to get its field goal team on the field, and Washington kicked a field goal before halftime.

Stopping the clock to benefit Washington was a mistake. As noted by former NFL referee and NBC rules analyst Terry McAulay, when the offense’s actions cause a delay in getting the ball spotted, the officials are not supposed to stop the clock. In this case, it was clear that Smith’s action of taking the ball with him to the sideline caused the delay, and so the officials should have let the clock run while they got a K-ball to spot for the field goal attempt. The umpire, who signaled to the clock operator to stop the clock, should not have done that.

Smith said after the game, “It was not intentional.” But intentional or not, Smith’s move gave the Football Team an advantage it shouldn’t have had, and was a key contributor to Washington’s comeback win.

BTW - the two NFC East teams are both just one game out of the final wild card so you while the East is finally righting the ship, the rest of the NFC is collapsing around them

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

BTW - the two NFC East teams are both just one game out of the final wild card so you while the East is finally righting the ship, the rest of the NFC is collapsing around them

So can we finally end the "lets give their spot to someone else" talk?

20 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Apparently you can just away with the ball so the refs can’t spot it, face no repercussions and get a free timeout

As I said before - Did the decision screw over the Steelers?  Yes?  Then it's the right decision.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tabe said:

As I said before - Did the decision screw over the Steelers?  Yes?  Then it's the right decision.

No Christmas card for you, Tabe.

God, the Ravens are playing the Cowboys.  It's like watching a fist fight between Moriarty and Lex Luthor and hoping they will beat the shit out of each other.

The only way I will be a winner is if Bane shows up and implodes the football field out from under both teams like he did in TDKR.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 3

It really doesn't matter.  I would moan if the Steelers had lost by three points, but it was six and the K-Ball thing wasn't even the main reason why Pittsburgh lost that game.  

That would be the fucking pick that Ben threw at the 11th hour and Pittsburgh's now iconic shitty clock management.

I can believe that Smith just mind farted and took the ball with him.  I am a proponent of Hanlon's Razor so I never blame on evil what I can blame on sheer stupidity or apathy, at least the first time around.

I am a trusting idiot like that.

Edited by J.T.