DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DEC 2020

Dolfan in NYC

Jim Ross has made millions and helped others make millions so for anyone to disregard him and make fun of him when he's trying to help them is incredibly arrogant.  It's not like he's cursing at them and telling them to kill themselves like Cornette does.  Guys like Ross, Tom Prichard, and Les Thatcher are legitimately trying to help guys be better at their chosen profession.  It doesn't matter if you disagree with his assessment, they should just be thankful for him giving them some of his knowledge and increasingly limited time.

Also, that's a bold move by The Young Bucks' errand boy.  Publicly sassing off to Khan's senior advisor after they just signed a high-priced free agent and it's been stated that there's bound to be some cuts next year.

• Like 2

Just watched this weeks BTE. Who was that woman behind Kip Sabian? Can't believe that‘s Penelope. Looks completely different.

Also, I wanna hear Miro sing and play his guitar. His run so far has been kinda underwhelming, but Miro is so obviously the second coming of Kurt Angle in beeing able to switch seamlessly between an absolute killer inside the ring and a comedian outside.

Hangman Page over the last few years ist the best storyline in wrestling ever. It’s shame it’s so hard to follow because you‘d need to watch a few different promotions and a Youtube show for a couple of years to really follow it making it a virtually-niche product not known by that many people - but I’ve never been that invested in a wrestling storyline in 22 years of beeing a wrestling fan. Although, my hopelessly in love teenage-self could emphatize quite good with Jimmy Jacobs longing for Lacey…

• Like 2

This is going to be the best part of the inter-promotional stuff after last week's promo, isn't it?

edit: also, last week's Dynamite beat this week's Raw in the demo for all three hours. O_o

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

This Omega and Callis storyline has so much potential way beyond the awesome Page title change. Throw Ibushi into the mix down the line. The match. The story of Omega freeing himself with the help of Ibushi from The Invisible Hand's grasp to reunite the Golden Lovers one last time. Brings a tear to my eye. I need it, Rock. I need it more than anything you could imagine. That story cannot end how it did. I don't care where. I don't care when. Just happen. And have Milano in the house. 

Callis' quick li'l worked interview with Alvarez just now highlights that Callis sees himself above Omega and manipulating even Kenny. He obviously is going to be credited as the driving force in Omega's push away from the Bucks and Hangmin. Such good shit. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, Jiji said:

This Omega and Callis storyline has so much potential way beyond the awesome Page title change. Throw Ibushi into the mix down the line. The match. The story of Omega freeing himself with the help of Ibushi from The Invisible Hand's grasp to reunite the Golden Lovers one last time. Brings a tear to my eye. I need it, Rock. I need it more than anything you could imagine. That story cannot end how it did. I don't care where. I don't care when. Just happen. And have Milano in the house. 

Callis' quick li'l worked interview with Alvarez just now highlights that Callis sees himself above Omega and manipulating even Kenny. He obviously is going to be credited as the driving force in Omega's push away from the Bucks and Hangmin. Such good shit. 

There are a multitude of things that sucked about WCW going out of business when it did, but Callis not getting a big run in a rebooted WCW in 2001 is pretty high up the list (at least for wrestlers/stories, much less the health of the industry). I did not fully appreciate his talent back then (and yes, Vince could fuck up with talented guys back in the 90's also), but he was primed to be a big star on the national level before the carpet was pulled out from under WCW. He's still young enough now though to be a huge star in this program, and I hope that fans are back in the arenas in the spring/summer to boo the everloving shit out of him.

Also, while last year's Blood and Guts would have been awesome in his own right, the seeds that are starting to form for Hangman/Bucks on one side and Omega/Good Brothers on the other could rival the best ones of the JCP/WCW era. 

• Like 1

On 12/13/2020 at 7:25 PM, Bryan said:

And can someone explain to me how a dive that is done by almost every wrestler male and female every week is a suicide dive? At least a dozen are performed without issue on tv every week...at some point shouldn’t it just be a dive?

Yes. It's not a "tope suicida" unless it's over the top rope.

No. Tope means headbutt. The Suicida refers to jumping out of the ring. Any dive out of the ring is called a Suicida. Over the top rope is a Con Giro.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BEN! said:

Jim Ross has made millions and helped others make millions so for anyone to disregard him and make fun of him when he's trying to help them is incredibly arrogant.  It's not like he's cursing at them and telling them to kill themselves like Cornette does.  Guys like Ross, Tom Prichard, and Les Thatcher are legitimately trying to help guys be better at their chosen profession.  It doesn't matter if you disagree with his assessment, they should just be thankful for him giving them some of his knowledge and increasingly limited time.

His "increasingly limited time?"  Yes, we should all be glad he's taking breaks from his busy schedule of inviting women on Twitter to fellate him to give wrestlers shitty advice.

I'm just taking the piss here, but seriously, the impression I got from Ross, Prichard, etc was that their criticism fell somewhere between "actual constructive criticism" and "kill yourself."  And closer to the latter.  Respect is a two way street.  You can't expect these younger guys to just shut up and be respectful of their elders when the elders in question are just shitting on their work and yelling "in my day a DDT was a finisher!"  That is not constructive criticism.  It's old man yells at cloud shit.  If you're just shitting on the current product and not being helpful, and coming across as out of touch, then nobody's going to respect that, and with good reason.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Dark had some really neat stuff going on.  Ricky Starks was always hamming it up with the theme song but now with his new shirt he has now taken that to a new level much to our amusement.  And aside from Spears going through the wall I'm begging somebody to make a gif of Spears closing the door on Marko trying to come in.  That was rather amusing as was commentary throughout the night.  As for matches I was impressed by Bear Country.  I think I saw them once on IWTV but they looked tremendous.  And it was nice seeing King vs Shida's rematch but I'm hoping she gets signed so she can get in the title picture.

• Like 1

Man, Max Caster seems to be getting worse week to week and I’m very concerned that he’s not ready for primetime.

Presumably, the Acclaimed is being rushed into a mini-program with the Bucks so that they can have a match on whatever show Snoop is appearing on and Max can shoot an angle with him and get a mainstream rub out of it,  but...if he’s not on his game for that, it could destroy him in the short-term.  A very high risk/high reward scenario right now.

SIGN BEAR COUNTRY NOW~!!!!

I am still bummed that Danny Limelight is dropping singles matches.  I would love to see The Bodega vs. Bear Country in an AEW Dark main event.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Jiji said:

Ibushi coming out to challenge Kenny might be the third-biggest pop you could pull off in AEW right now (if audiences were a factor, obv), but I think Okada gets a bigger reaction - storyline it's not as juicy but the implications of a stateside Omega/Okada would melt people. The biggest possible pop in current wrestling would be a CM Punk return but that ain't a fair comparison.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, EVA said:

Man, Max Caster seems to be getting worse week to week and I’m very concerned that he’s not ready for primetime.

Presumably, the Acclaimed is being rushed into a mini-program with the Bucks so that they can have a match on whatever show Snoop is appearing on and Max can shoot an angle with him and get a mainstream rub out of it,  but...if he’s not on his game for that, it could destroy him in the short-term.  A very high risk/high reward scenario right now.

I find The Acclaimed's entrance and overall charisma to be very entertaining and worth keeping.  As for the matches I saw the first couple but tend to skip them.  I know Max has been with Create a Pro for awhile and Bowens has been around for awhile so not sure what's going on here.  But if they're doing the match with Bucks then that now be a good time to prepare and lay out the match well beforehand.

31 minutes ago, J.T. said:

SIGN BEAR COUNTRY NOW~!!!!

I am still bummed that Danny Limelight is dropping singles matches.  I would love to see The Bodega vs. Bear Country in an AEW Dark main event.

I knew nothing about Limelight until Dark but with his work and especially his charisma he is somebody that I would like to see more of.  I didn't know about The Bodega but I'll have to look them up.  With that name though if they ended up catching on a cameo from Desus and Mero would just be grand.  That is if not for the Showtime vs HBO thing as that could mess things up.

• Like 1