DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DEC 2020

Dolfan in NYC

5 hours ago, AxB said:

Makes a big difference to me, watching on Fite. You guys don't even know the Dynamite song has verses because you get commercials. I not only know it has verses, I could recite them in their entirety.

082-D4-A01-4-B7-D-45-B8-B938-AD6-B9352-C

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, AxB said:

Makes a big difference to me, watching on Fite. You guys don't even know the Dynamite song has verses because you get commercials. I not only know it has verses, I could recite them in their entirety.

I watch on Fite as well (no cable=no TNT). Those breaks w/the song and graphic seem to go on forEVER, LOL

• Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 1:14 PM, For Great Justice said:

Definitely echo the love for Callis as Omega’s manager. That does wonders for Omega’s presentation for me at least. Also really like “the invisible hand” as a moniker. 

Omega is such a great heel and I'm glad he has finally gotten back to that. Everyone knows how good of a heel Callis is too. The best part of all is it actually has me thinking to myself, did they really plan this that far out? The whole back story between them makes sense and they fact that the waited till now to be full on heels makes this better. 

It hasn't been since WWEs Summer of Punk that I'm sitting back like whats going to happen next, at least until they fucked it up. AEW has a few big angles going on right now so they can completely take their time with this.

• Like 3

BTW, Britt’s talk show has been a great addition to Dark. This is the kind of experimenting on a B-level wrestling show we haven’t seen for years. I mean I know it has produced good TV for the live programs, but saving your character building segments for a secondary show is a plus. The only issue I have with it, is that she shouldn’t be conducting interviews in a waiting room. If she does then she should only be standing in the doorway to talk to her her guest. My doctors rarely ever completely step into the waiting room to ask me additional questions.

• Like 1

Danny Limelight getting a lot of shine on Cage was interesting.  I would assume he has a contract coming his way, if he isn’t signed already.  But the way the match went also kinda feels like they’re giving up on Cage ever being anything.

I certainly understand the appeal of getting in on the ground floor with Max Caster, who clearly has the potential to be a star if you nurture him the right way, but man you can tell he’s only been a pro for a few years.  He’s got a ways to go in the ring.

Putting him in a tag team with another young but more experienced guy like Bowens was a good call.  And being paired with Caster seems to have brought out more of Bowens’s personality than I had seen him show before.  I think it shows good awareness/business sense on his part to understand that he risked being overshadowed as the mechanic of the team to Caster’s future star if he didn’t step up his presentation.

All that said, they’re still figuring out how to be a team in the ring!  I don’t know that they’ve landed on any double teams that really work.  That sunset flip->neckbreaker->lungblower combo has yet to look particularly good.  Hopefully this program with the Bucks will help them along.

Apparently Sting, and quite a few segments pulled in over a million viewers. So they have something real great going on. This is what they should do, and it’s what they’ve done with him so far, that is not putting him in any concrete angle during this pandemic set-up for as long as possible. Sting’s peak WCW run with brief appearances on Nitro was a success because he wasn’t in any concrete story. Ultimately it was to get him Vs. Hogan, but they always had a few side stories to get him there. The same should be applied here. Because one things for sure, they need a big match for when fans attend around the country. Maybe do a tag match on Dynamite, and then a big singles match for whatever months PPV it is(I’m guessing it’ll be Vegas for All Out). But make sure it’s all simple stuff, that doesn’t go over the top.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

15 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:
Canadian’s apparently butcher the word occur by pronouncing it “O’Coor”.

That's just Kenny. Don't you put that evil on me, Ricky Bobby! 

Also, don't believe a word Jiji says when he comes in here and tries to normalize Kenny's abhorrent conduct. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 3

Jim Ross was asked if moves such as Michaels’ superkick or Jake Roberts’ DDT should be protected or is this just an evolution of the business. He said, “That evolution of the business is bull**t. Yes, they should be protected. The DDT is a finish. The superkick is just a part of the flow of the match (now).  Nobody wins with it. What does that say to you? Does that say guys back in the day were more proficient delivering a DDT or a superkick than in this generation where ‘things are evolving’? I want some proof of that sh*t. I want somebody to prove to me that the changing of the wrestling business is what it is today and it’s making a difference. I say no. I told a kid the other day at AEW that everybody does the same fu**ing spot. All you guys go outside. You cluster up like coils. You stand there in a huddle, friends and foes together, side by side so you can catch some leaping idiot going over the top who never wins with this move. They are looking for the “holy s**t chant. They love to hear ‘this is awesome’. It’s a spot folks. It’s a trapeze act. I don’t buy into that. The DDT is a great finish and should be used as such.”

• Haha 7

I'm not having the argument with DDTs and Superkicks. They were great finishes once upon a time. They are what they are now because they're incredibly safe moves that can easily be thrown into the middle of a sequence. They look hurty so they get pops. But unlike other instant-offense moves, they don't require lifting, real bumping, or a ton of precision. It's like quebradora backbreakers in 90's lucha or closed-fist punches in Memphis - there are other, older worlds (some of them real) where these moves *should wreck somebody*. But they don't, because they're too useful and safe of a midmatch glue, and because the crowd says "yay" when you do them.

Counterpoint - waiting around in groups for a dive is dumb. Keeping the camera off the cluster is a decent compromise if the dive is really flashy.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 3

I get JR’s point about the waiting around to catch, but drawing the fans attention to that is counter productive especially when he does it on air repeatedly, he’s burying the talent and exposing the business. I agree with @John E. Dynamitethat if it’s a great dive don’t show them bunching up, show the flight and the impact. Problem solved. And JR also needs to shut the fuck up about leg slapping, it is what it is now, & honestly the only time I notice it is when he fucking brings it up!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WholeFnMachine said:

drawing the fans attention to that is counter productive especially when he does it on air repeatedly

Wouldn't the clustering together part draw the fans attention too? Logic dictates you would walk away from a person trying to dive onto you and not closer to that person with the assistance of other people.

• Like 2