DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DEC 2020

Dolfan in NYC

22 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

As I suspected, the Omega/Callis team is gonna completely rule.  Callis has always been underrated.  Don worked the should’ve been weak-nothing Network angle in ECW into some really fun stuff - Rrrrrrock n Bowl!  With this Main event angle, I have no doubt, he’ll shine and fly as high as he ever has.  Kenny was awesome here too.  Wonderful heel!  I liked The Tonys too.  Nice green screen.    I didn’t see anything else from the impact show - sounds like they failed to capitalize on the eyes with any sort of better show.  Not really a surprise.  Anyway, stoked for tonight’s second promo.

Agreed on most of the points but to be fair they taped all their stuff leading into next month's PPV.  So aside from two new pretapes it was mainly a regular episode that happened on the same night as the interview.  The announcers did their best to fill people in though and we'll see how the next set of tapings go.

I love Kenny as a promo guy because of the NJPW post show ‘press conferences’ where he was often hilarious. I agree it improves his overall having Callis, he helps reel in the direction which Kenny then can riff on displaying his charisma/hilarity.  Callis is awesome.  I suspect this will be his career defining run.

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Agreed on most of the points but to be fair they taped all their stuff leading into next month's PPV.  So aside from two new pretapes it was mainly a regular episode that happened on the same night as the interview.  The announcers did their best to fill people in though and we'll see how the next set of tapings go.

Interesting.  I didn’t see the show as a whole so I shouldn’t comment too much specifically to it.  From what I’ve read, it sounded like a less than impressive show.  The taped aspect shouldn’t really be an excuse.  From my experience, Scott D’amore is a nice guy, but his strong suit is not booking.  Nor is whomever else (Callis? Dreamer?) they have steering this ship.  This comment is based on having tried to watch their weak show a few times over the last year and a bit.  They seem completely out of touch.  Just like Bauer they fail with cutesy in ring booking and just awful skits.  Along with tired presentation.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

As much as I hate to admit it, I almost hope that they have Swann drop the Impact title to Kenny so that he can walk out with three gigantic title belts (AEW title, AAA Mega Championship, & the Impact world title). 

I really do miss the J-Crown gimmick of carrying a metric fuckton of championship gold to the ring and of course it will make his title loss asswhipping all the sweeter.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, hammerva said:

A couple weeks ago Dani Jordyn said that on Dark she was going to reenact the holiday dance scene for Mean Girls.  Well she did.   

And for some reason I can't get the Twitter link thing to work so

Funny thing...they actually aired this match a week early. On commentary, Excalibur says that tickets are still available for Dynamite "tomorrow night, December 16th".

49 minutes ago, J.T. said:

As much as I hate to admit it, I almost hope that they have Swann drop the Impact title to Kenny so that he can walk out with three gigantic title belts (AEW title, AAA Mega Championship, & the Impact world title). 

That’s probably part of the plan, and eventually Chris Bey wins the IMPACT belt from him. Rich Swan felt like such a wannabe last night,  that it’s so obvious what the plan is.

Eh, I like Rich Swann as a company title holder and can't say that I disagree with the angle of him getting upset about his own company disrespecting him by parading around the champion from another promotion.   The booking logic is on point.

I think it would be tragic to take the title off of Swann just as his personal and professional lives are turning a corner, but Kenny Omega as a belt collector would arguably elevate all of the titles he held as long as Omega defended them all with equal tenacity.

I'd like to see Chris Bey and Ace Austin eventually have Impact world title reigns.   Promote organic talent.

Edited by J.T.

The thing about Swann losing the belt to Kenny is, Kenny's not holding it forever. And whichever Impact Wrestler beats Kenny (to get the title back in the company) is going to be as made as Impact can make someone.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

The thing about Swann losing the belt to Kenny is, Kenny's not holding it forever. And whichever Impact Wrestler beats Kenny (to get the title back in the company) is going to be as made as Impact can make someone.

Only real candidate worth considering for such a thing is Willie Mack. Maybe Ace Austin, but he’s still a project.

For WTF madness, give me Kenny vs Ken Shamrock. 

7 hours ago, J.T. said:

I really do miss the J-Crown gimmick of carrying a metric fuckton of championship gold to the ring and of course it will make his title loss asswhipping all the sweeter.

Eo1QsLpXYAI2F_O?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1

On 12/7/2020 at 9:03 PM, matt925 said:

Down for a Shaq segment or two without it turning into that mixed tag match, or any other match. End it with someone taking a splash or something. 

Edit: I mean someone taking a splash in a pool or something, not shaq trying to kill himself and someone else. 

I’ll take a $5k consulting fee for stopping any potential match here. Everything can be concluded with a harmless splash. They should have just scrapped that whole segment lol that was pretty worthless. No offense to shaq or anyone else. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goodear said:

Coming soon, DVDVR’s guide to Onomatopoeia which I had to look up.

Sting goes goes Owww!

Flair goes Whooo!

Titus goes owah, owah, owah!

Kevin Smith created an incredible villain named Onomatopoeia who he first used in Green Arrow and later on in Batman. No, I’m not joking, he was awesome.

4 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Let’s put this to bed once, and for all. Is Sting wooo’ing, or is he owwww’ing? Or, or is he howling?

Thanks for bringing this up!  He used to always go OOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW (I've seen the dude's career since Watts) but last night he wooooooo'd and I was definitely bothered more by it than I had any right to be.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

Makes a big difference to me, watching on Fite. You guys don't even know the Dynamite song has verses because you get commercials. I not only know it has verses, I could recite them in their entirety.

1 hour ago, bodyslamdunk said:

Re: the references to last night being a taped show, how much of a difference does this really make to you guys? I would never have known the difference, and it doesn’t decrease my enjoyment any knowing it was taped vs live. Unless you get hit w/spoilers, does it matter?

I normally don't notice anything that is odd when it's pretaped.  But in this case they had so much packed into it that the stuff they had to do to cram it to two hours was much more noticeable this time around.  If they took out even one match it would have been better paced.  Did it decrease my enjoyment?  Maybe a little.  But I still liked the show anyway.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

Which has given Silver time to really shape the DO in his own image along with Uno. It has worked out really well. I cannot wait for Brodie's return and fury, except if they can kind of get Page on board.

• Like 2