DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DEC 2020

Dolfan in NYC

10 hours ago, Shadow said:

As great as that is (and it really is) I would like to submit something for your consideration.  Brandi's cooking show is generally a nice watch depending on the guest.  But this one I really loved because it featured not just Statlander being adorably nerdy but also mentioned the time Darby was on "Sex sent me to the ER"  I had no idea about the latter but am oddly curious to find that clip.  Plus I kind of like that black bean burger recipe and might give it a go.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

Holy shit that's amazing.  One great thing about working from home is I can laugh uproariously at little Darby swatting around bees.

Instead of the obligatory "Not the bees!" video or gif instead I instead checked the comments for this video.  Apparently the story was a lie and he hired an actress off Craigslist for this.  But he did get paid $800 so good for him.  But man is it wild seeing a relatively different Darby with that hair.  If not for his chest tattoo and voice you almost couldn't tell.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

Does Cornette know about this? Im sure he’s gonna scream about it being in the art section and not the sport section. “Wrestling isn’t a performance it’s goddamn real mother fuckerrrr”

Edited by Web Conn
  • Haha 4

54 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Funny that the article doesn't even mention Jericho.

edit: they really should use that to create more dissension.

Some weeks the athleticism at this professional wrestling start-up is more exciting than anything happening in Vince McMahon’s empire. And no one in the WWE has this kid’s combination of diction (Juilliard by way of Long Island), intensity or cheesiness, either. Even when Friedman’s lost his cool (his nom de ring is MJF), he still has astounding control. The character is part heel, part tool (hair gel, loafers, Burberry bling — tacky, tacky, tacky) and part goodfella wannabe; his mouth does more running than he does. For reasons only the producers of this show can explain, a long segment in October between MJF and the veteran Chris Jericho culminated in a version of “Me and My Shadow” complete with dancing women and live singing. It was less than spectacular, though not for anything Friedman did. He wasn’t embarrassed at all. He was smooth in a way that should worry Ric Flair. This kid makes you wanna say, “Woo!”

?

You can also feel Jericho's presence in the phrase "less than spectacular." And credit where it's due, he correctly described the segment as "long."

• Thanks 1

On 12/2/2020 at 11:21 PM, just drew said:

Given their shared history, and the apparent AEW/Impact relationship, Mox's attacker is gonna be Sami Callihan, isn't it? Oy.

Callihan doing Callis' dirty work wouldn't make any kind of sense though.

I really don't think this IMPACT crossover is going to be all that extensive.  It seems like its more about getting Callis over as a heel more than IMPACT as invaders.  It's probably just an Omega appearance for use of IMPACT's Sting footage.

23 minutes ago, BEN! said:

Callihan doing Callis' dirty work wouldn't make any kind of sense though.

I really don't think this IMPACT crossover is going to be all that extensive.  It seems like its more about getting Callis over as a heel more than IMPACT as invaders.  It's probably just an Omega appearance for use of IMPACT's Sting footage.

I haven't seen an episode of Impact since that live one where "the Band" got back together when Hogan and Bischoff took over. I'll defer to you.

There have been a few examinations of Omega's long-term storytelling/character arc. This one may take a liberty here or there but does a good job of outlining his time in AEW and the consistency of the big picture thinking. It's this stuff that makes him the best in the world imo. Love it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I know Tyson had that Fight coming up with Jones he had to focus on,  but is there any other reason AEW stopped working with him. You would think AEW would try to get the rub by having one of their guys associated with him, maybe even apart of the event, I know the original idea was for him a Jericho to work each other but they didn't have to work a match. Apparently it was Tysons idea to get involved with AEW but I guess now he's involved with promoting fights himself.

"Kenny hasn't lost a step or gotten a a little dull, he just wants you to think he has!" is some top-rate eisegesis. It makes more sense to me that they leaned into it because they were aware the sentiment was out there. Knowing when to pivot or lean in is impressive enough. Not sure I buy the grand unified theory of Kenny's brilliance being used to smooth over a comparative rough patch in his career as being his intention all along. 

As you said, they're taking liberties. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 1

Still feel like that has been blown out of proportion when he's churned out a handful of fantastic matches in the year plus of Dynamite, including the best or second best tag match I've seen, with a step down in competition. And they've consistently played it up on commentary and in interviews. Even his initial tron vid had sad boy Kenny in Tokyo. I was less interested in that part of the article, as I knew it would not sit well with some people, than I was with the dynamic of his relationships and their affect on him and his character. The Golden Lovers reunion and success, as short lived as it was, is my favourite shit I've ever seen in wrestling. There's some fun stuff ahead with Impact, Page, Bucks, and even the NJPW situation. 

• Like 2

It was definitely blown out of proportion and a good deal of it was a perception thing, hence the "comparative rough patch." I think a lot of it had to do with being exposed to a wider audience who might not be following much NJPW outside of the high end stuff or are not following it at all, but he came in with mammoth expectations for his first time as the featured act on a big American TV show and based on the nature of the beast he wasn't able to meet those expectations immediately. For a guy who'd gotten to walk on water for a few years, that is a rough patch. Comparing unfavourably to Cody out of the gate didn't do him any favours either when he was supposedly an Ace. 

In general I'd agree the wrestling's been fine. He certainly hasn't left me with a lot to complain about in that department. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 2