DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DEC 2020

Dolfan in NYC

This thread makes me sorry we can't have a Stan Hansen-Kenny Omega tag team.  I mean, the backstage skits alone would be gold.

Kenny could try to explain to Final Fantasy to Stan.

Stan could then try to explain to Kenny that if Kenny didn't stop talking, Hansen would beat him within an inch of his life and lariat him back to the womb.

License to print money.  Build a time machine and book it, Tony Khan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Another huge Dark this week, I'm still making my way through it but I stopped into say that Brandon Cutler and Danny Limelight (from the Bodega in CWH and UWN) tore it up. Surprised at some of the strength Cutler showed and Limelight made everything count by working the arm in fun ways. Good stuff.

• Like 2

Bobby Wayward and George South Jr. were Very Bad in there with the Acclaimed.

Also the Fenrir guy has been terrible every time I’ve seen him.  Match with Starks was the shits.  It almost seemed like Starks got fed up with him blowing everything and just abruptly hit his finish to clock out.

If that’s the case, good on Starks. Strong Veteran Presence (compared to the Acclaimed, who would just repeat the spots that were blown).

Edited by EVA

I honestly skipped through a lot of matches because they just didn't hold my interest.  That and looking up the Shanna controversy distracted me.  I did like the main event and thought Limelight looked good against Cutler.

Speaking of Shanna I did see she DMed somebody who called her out on it.  The response did make it seem well-meaning but that's assuming you didn't know about her RTing Le Pen or deleting them and making the account private for awhile.  So while I wish I can disassociate the art from the artist I just unfortunately can't.

And was that really George South's kid in that tag match?  If so he looked a lot like his dad.  I'm assuming if he looked bad that he started really recently so who knows how good he'll be down the line.

According to Cagematch, South Jr. is a 20 year veteran, but His last documented match was in 2015 (against his dad!).  Seems like his career has been pretty sporadic.

Edited by EVA
  • Thanks 1

I haven't seen Kaz use it in a while, but

Spoiler

He broke out the Flux Capacitor (Spanish Fly Superplex) against Jericho tonight.

As for Dark, I echo the goodness of the Brandon Cutler vs. Danny Limelight match.  Lots and lots of psychology.  Everything else was pretty meh except for Stu and Uno murdering Baron Black and Fuego del Sol.  Ricky Starks's commentary was golden during the Dark Order public execution ( ".... He dead....")

Peter Avalon is still fun to watch but I miss him feuding with Cutler.

I felt badlyor The Acclaimed.   You could see their rookie bleeding through when they were re-doing blown spots.   You don't do that in a live match.  You move on to the next spot.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Strange question, but does anybody know if Kaz still uses the Fade to Black (Hangman's Deadeye)? If not, when's the last time anybody remembers him using that move? 

I think before Trent showed up in ROH. 

• Thanks 1

Even though I dislike Sami (edit: didn't mean to straight lift the beginning of your post, Curt...), he's a decent shithead to root against when I'm inclined to have a rooting interest (ie: the Tessa feud and Penta/Fenix vs oVe). They can do worse than Mox-Sami. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't think AEW has to get anything out of this other than compelling television.   Their world champion is appearing on a "rival" promotion's program. It's different and opens up the door for some possible cross promotion match ups..  

Mox was attacked a few weeks back,  we now know that it likely was not Omega who did it,  it could have been the Good Brothers for all we know.  Kenny,  obsessed with besting Mox and finally becoming world champion in AEW turns to his former NJPW buds in Good Brothers/Don Callis?  Possible.   He said a couple weeks ago he had a plane to catch so I presume he was orchestrating this for a minute. 

Good Brothers attacked Mox? Yes, now we do have this possibility. 

Wardlow with a moment of gold on the  AEW podcast this week. He is discussing possibly getting into MMA and Tony asks “have you ever talked to Swagger about MMA?”

Wardlow “no. Me and Jack do not speak much.”

“I don’t even know why we hate each other, we just do”

Blur the lines brother!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I thought Callihan was  decent worker 5 years and 50 pounds ago.

Like many others, I have no use for Sami Callihan. The only times Sami really "entertained" me was when the CZW fans would air horn his promos. He had a surprisingly good match vs Davey Richards in AAW many moons ago. And I was invested in any matches against Penta because Penta is one of my favorites.

The last thing Tony Khan needs is for either Dark or Dynamite to turn into the Sami and Friends Show. Jessica Havoc has regressed in the last 5 years. I have even less use for OINK/OIFK. 

• Like 2