DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2020 WRESTLING TALK.

What a moment to this day. Mankind was the first heel wrestler I ever liked, I was drawn to him when he debuted in the WWF in 1996 and he's still one of my ten favourite wrestlers. THAT pop. Great meeting Mick Foley back in May 2003, Foley was so nice to me:

1934160_10130808861_6539_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1

Years later on Facebook I thanked Mick Foley for what he did and Foley said the same to me.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 14

Someone posted the last page of Sabu’s biography on Twitter, where he gives a series of shout-outs.... to people he dislikes and wants to tell to f*** off.  Literally.  

Spoilered for nsfw language.  Probably don’t want to read aloud with kids in the room.

Spoiler

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 9

21 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

I wasn't aware Sabu had a book out. Has anyone read it? I could see him having some really interesting stories.

I wasn't aware of it until today either.  Looked up customer reviews and got some feedback from Twitter.  It doesn't sound polished, but it's supposedly a raw, entertaining read with some funny stories (much like the page I posted).

I ordered a copy about an hour ago, so I'll post some feedback after I read it.  I'm not sure what I'll make of it.  I mostly dislike Sabu and I have a feeling the book isn't going to do anything to dispel that notion.  Someone related a couple anecdotes from the book and to me they sound funny, but also make him sound like a bitter jerk.  That "shout out" page doesn't make him look good (calling out a dead guy - Test - for "tattling"?  Really?)

• Like 2

So looking in the gif thread reminded me that Murakami is a guy I've always liked as a personality, but never really caught a many matches of. I don't recall him ever being touted highly in the ring, but I figure there are at least a few good matches of his I should check out. Any suggestions?

2 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

I wasn't aware Sabu had a book out. Has anyone read it? I could see him having some really interesting stories.

I read it last year, I posted about it in the Wrestling Book thread a few times.

Vader's book is better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

So looking in the gif thread reminded me that Murakami is a guy I've always liked as a personality, but never really caught a many matches of. I don't recall him ever being touted highly in the ring, but I figure there are at least a few good matches of his I should check out. Any suggestions?

Start with the Murakami vs. Yuki Ishikawa feud from 2000 Battlarts. There's a bunch of tag matches and there's the eventual big singles match between them in November. Murakami & Otsuka vs. Ishikawa & Sano from March, Murakami & Taira vs. Ishikawa & Malenko from September, Murakami & Nagai vs. Ishikawa & Malenko from October and their singles match in November that I mentioned previously.

Going back and revisiting this year, Daniel Bryan has got to be in ring wrestler of the year no? He missed 2 or so months on paternal leave and he still managed to put on some great matches with Bray Wyatt at Royal Rumble and on SmackDown Drew Gulak and AJ Styles in the first half of the year before his leave and then the quality series with Jey Uso. And I'd say my top 3 matches this year would be Ikeda vs. Ishikawa from wXw, Bryan vs. Gulak from Elimination Chamber and WALTER vs. Ilja from NXT UK.

A lot of the Attitude era is absolute dogshit (I re-watched '98 Raws a few years ago, the Austin/Vince stuff pretty much holds up but DX and all that shite? Absolute pish) but, holy shit, that Austin pop is still my all time favourite crowd reaction. 

22 years though? Jesus. I know this year has seemed to last about 400 years but, fuck,that makes me feel old. I remember people in school going absolutely bonkers about Mankind winning the belt even if it would never put some butts in the seats.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Edwin said:

Going back and revisiting this year, Daniel Bryan has got to be in ring wrestler of the year no? He missed 2 or so months on paternal leave and he still managed to put on some great matches with Bray Wyatt at Royal Rumble and on SmackDown Drew Gulak and AJ Styles in the first half of the year before his leave and then the quality series with Jey Uso. 

Its Rhea Ripley for me. I thought she had some great singles matches with Io, Raquel, Mercedes, & Charlotte along with a bunch of really good stuff in tags and smaller singles matches.

Of brand new footage to people in the US, including everything that was first run on TV, streaming, or caught handheld, wrestler of the year, is probably Al Hayes. He was like freaking Brock Lesnar in the 50s but, at least in tag work, positioned as the more vulnerable guy because he had Hunter as his partner, always full of tricked out stuff to the point where you looked forward to every lock up (usually in the double knucklelock/test of strength entry point) just to see what he'd do next.

So yeah, my totally earnest vote for 2020 wrestler of the year is 1957-1960 Al Hayes.

• Like 1

Aaaand Bruce has been kicked. Addendum to the article below. And finally the apology comes from Wade. What a stupid hill for Mitchell to die on.

Spoiler

Addendum (12-29-20)

Bruce Mitchell is no longer a staff member of Pro Wrestling Torch. I spoke with him earlier today and let him know my decision, as well as the reasons behind it.

I thank him for over 30 years of contributions that helped shape and grow Pro Wrestling Torch. Bruce informed and entertained readers and listeners with sharp, hard-hitting, informed columns and podcasts.

In addition, he has been a dear friend outside of the professional realm. I wish him well.

I also apologize to the Huber family for any pain the column caused.

Edit: Apologies, just saw this was also posted in the RIP thread.

Edited by Custos

17 hours ago, The Natural said:

Steiner Screwdriver compilation.

Sadly, this one was missing the Glenn Ruth one from Superstars, but I think I saw some really sloppy and dangerous ones here too. Compared to some of these, the one I thought was the sickest one I've seen, looked crisp and well protected! I guess it was the perfect camera angle where you can see Ruth's head make contact and bounce off the canvas.

Either way, "this is wrestling, clap-clap, clap-clap-clap!"

• Like 2