DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2020 WRESTLING TALK.

44 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Watching it THEN was excruciating! ?

Shawn and Hogan both in the NWO... good lord. 

You know some things back then I absolutely hated. But looking at this stuff again I completely had a 180 on. Things like Mongo, Buff Bagwell, the actual Blood Runs Cold matches, Colonel Parker, etc... Hogan’s act is still impossible to get into. I would even say that Steiner in the nWo dragged it down further when he was Hogan’s sidekick, and then Hogan’s shit rubbing more onto Bischoff, who’s ego exploded.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eoae said:

I take it they did something to offend you?

Generally if a wrestling reporter basically calls the widow of a wrestler a liar and says she's in cohoots with a company to cover up his death - yeah, I'm offended.

• Like 6

They did something to offend anyone with functioning moral sensibilities. Basically being ambulance chasing journalists trying to get the real story of how Brodie Lee died, with added baseless speculation.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Casey said:

Generally if a wrestling reporter basically calls the widow of a wrestler a liar and says she's in cohoots with a company to cover up his death - yeah, I'm offended.

Ok.  I haven’t seen whatever story you’re referring to, so I’ll take your word for it.

1 minute ago, Casey said:

You don't need to take my word for it, it's literally on the front page of PW Torch. 

Ok.  I haven’t seen it and this is the first I’ve heard of it.  Not sure what expect me to say.  I wasn’t questioning you, so you don’t!5 need to take it like that.

It really comes off like trying to be the first on a major story that may or may not actually have happened.   What that major story I don't get.  Hell we haven't even had an autopsy. 

Makes me wonder if wrestling "journalists" were stepping all over themselves trying to be the first who knew Benoit was a murderer not a victim.  

6 hours ago, OSJ said:

Wanna bet he had the same back doctor as Ric Rude?

Rude was just collecting on a Lloyd's of London policy because even though he could work, he had a back that was so bad from repeated bumping that any doctor would have told Lloyd's that he qualified as disabled, yeah?

Which is to ask/point out that these doctors likely weren't cranks, but that both Rude and Michaels probably shouldn't have been bumping anymore considering how destructive bumping is to the body over time. 

Especially for guys like Rude and Michaels, who are athletic, sometimes wild bumpers.

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

Ok.  I haven’t seen whatever story you’re referring to, so I’ll take your word for it.

Long story short, he basically claimed that Brodie died of COVID, his wife is a liar, and it's a huge cover-up on AEW's part.

Once he was called out on it, he backtracked, and pulled the "I would never" to the thing he just did, said people (and the backlash) made him feel bad, and used the "I have mental health issues" excuse card.

• Like 4

Snowden/Evil Clown from here can go fuck right off too with his "I thought it was brave of you to write it" comment to Bruce Mitchell. There was nothing "brave" about what Bruce wrote. It was fucking stupid. Snowden is about the least bright bulb out there. Feels like he's a hair away from coming back on here to proliferate his dumb as fuck MMA opinionz.

• Like 1

I've been a Torch subscriber for a couple of years now and have really enjoyed hearing the diverse range of opinions and analysis across their various contributors, even/especially those that are different from my own position.

This is not that. This is a callous and hurtful disregard for a community of grieving friends, family and well-wishers of a beloved man. It is also a mind boggling lapse in editorial judgement on the part of Wade Keller to let this see the light of day barely 24 hours removed from the terrible news - I had naively thought him better than that.

I'm not big on performative outrage but I don't plan to give Bruce Mitchell a lick of attention in the future.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Rude was just collecting on a Lloyd's of London policy because even though he could work, he had a back that was so bad from repeated bumping that any doctor would have told Lloyd's that he qualified as disabled, yeah?

Which is to ask/point out that these doctors likely weren't cranks, but that both Rude and Michaels probably shouldn't have been bumping anymore considering how destructive bumping is to the body over time. 

Especially for guys like Rude and Michaels, who are athletic, sometimes wild bumpers.

I work in insurance. 

A key point in any policy timeline is assessing the change where total and permanent disability policies went from "own" occupation based to "any" instead. (I.e. going from being considered unlikely to ever return to their pre-disability occupation to being considered unlikely to go back to any they are able to do by virtue of their education, training or experience).

I marked out heavily during the training session when I pieced together from the training material examples that the likes of policies held by Rude and Hawk were largely responsible for global change on this scale.

Edited by RolandTHTG
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

I work in insurance. 

A key point in any policy timeline is assessing the change where total and permanent disability policies went from "own" occupation based to "any" instead. (I.e. going from being considered unlikely to ever return to their pre-disability occupation to being considered unlikely to go back to any they are able to do by virtue of their education, training or experience).

I marked out heavily during the training session when I pieced together from the training material examples that the likes of policies held by Rude and Hawk were largely responsible for global change on this scale.

Yeah, this being the real world, you can only catch insurance people off guard a couple of times, before they go "hey, wait a minute...". In wrestling, hardly anyone ever learns a lesson. Loyds learned theirs pretty quickly, all things considered.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RolandTHTG said:

In hindsight, I wonder if the change of policy had much impact on why managers completely died out around that time also.

Yes, Vince found them too southern, but the timing is coincidental.

Never thought of it that way, but that is a very intriguing thing to consider. Who was the last guy to be considered a full fledged manager in WWF? I was thinking Cornette, but it's probably heel Paul Bearer (w/ Mankind and Kane). But becoming a manager after being a wrestler pretty much ended with Dibiase, right?

Re: Brodie Lee

Honestly, when someone says "lung issues" and Mayo Clinic to me, I think lung cancer.  I have some personal experience that condition and have met a few young-ish people who appeared healthy only a couple months earlier but passed away quickly after their diagnosis.  I'm told there's a lot of room in the lungs for a tumor to grow without causing obvious symptoms, so it's not unusual to be in advanced stage by the time you see a doctor and get the diagnosis.  It's one of the reasons survival rates for lung cancer are relatively low.

Was it rumored that Brodie had Covid?  I never heard that.  Little hard to believe that Brodie both had Covid and died from it without someone hinting at that on social media or leaking it to Meltzer.  None of the comments I've seen from AEW or fellow wrestlers are of the "It was so sudden.  I'm in shock" variety, so I'm thinking the locker room knew what was going on with him.

The Torch piece seems tasteless and grasping at straws to be relevant or whatever, but just ignoring it seems the better play.  I'm of the mind that "performative outrage" just draws more eyeballs and gives the offender the publicity he's seeking in the first place.

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

Re: Brodie Lee

Was it rumored that Brodie had Covid?  I never heard that.  

His wife in the post noting he had passed away said that he had succumbed to a "non-Covid lung" issue (or along those lines). Now when someone specifically notes that it wasn't one thing (while not stating what it actually was), this can often be a cover-up (Which is probably why various reporters jumped on it) but it's much more likely that she was just trying to head off the internet speculation that as soon as anyone hears "lungs" they immediately insist it was covid and start blaming the victim for not being careful enough.

• Like 1