DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2020 WRESTLING TALK.

3 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

She had pics of herself doing some heavy lifting while pregnant and a few people asked if it was healthy.  She had pics hunting bears and other shit and people seemed to heavily dislike it.  I get that it's her IG and she can post what she wants, but don't complain when people decide it's not for them and you aren't getting the "likes" that you used to get. 

She killed that bear who refused to put over Tracey Smothers so good on her!!!

• Haha 3

Listened to a podcast with Dennis Rivera and Willie Urbina who is a Spanish AEW commentator and a former IWA and WWC commentator and producer. Dennis asked him about the AEW and Impact partnership and he said it was great as it created a lot of buzz and he wasn't told it was going to occur prior to it so it caught him by surprise.

Dennis mentioned in his podcast with JDS he got heat with some close friends during an angle in IWA. He had a rivalry starting up with Savio and it was leading to him turning heel on his brother. They taped a segment at their house where Dennis was eating dinner his mom had cooked and she mentioned Savio to him and he got hot and went off on her and threw the food in the trash. After it aired on TV, his closest friends began going off on him and telling him he shouldn't be treating his mother like that and that he should make amends with Savio and he had to break kayfabe to them and tell them it was all a part of an angle and that the person behind the camera recording it was Savio. This was 10 or so years ago and yes kayfabe still lives in Puerto Rican wrestling.

12 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Oh crap I remember that! I HAD to have seen it. It was one of the most surreal things ever. 

He knows that Shota is pronounced "Shooter".

Good for him , but if that's the extent of it, then the paperwork must take ages and that's why he hasn't defended the US title since the pile of documents arrived in mail.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Presumably, every subsection of Twitter is as bad as every other. 

from the things that showed up in my timeline, it seemed like it was just  people saying Jericho was old and fat

All I follow is friends and a few comedians and I still get things that enrage me. I think twitter brings out the anger in everyone.

Jim Ross was discussing HBK's career on his Grilling JR podcast and said that Vince kept Shawn on the payroll during Michael's retirement and paid him $750,000 a year from '98-2002.  Anyone know how much active guys were making during that period?  Just wondering how 750K compares to whatever Shawn was making when active.

JR said Vince resisted pressure to cut or void the contract because "that's just the kind of guy he is."  Seems Vince has a lot of affection for Shawn.  Of course, JR also pointed out that Shawn was interested in going to WCW to work with Hall and Nash, so Vince also had a very good business reason to keep HBK under contract.  

His comments about WCW are interesting.  JR didn't really express an opinion, but still gave me the impression that he thinks Michaels "lost his smile" due to the pressure of being a top guy in the company more than the back injury.  There's been some talk over the years that WCW would have liked to have Michaels in the NWO if he had gotten out of his contract.  

HBK leading the nWo would have been something.  Though, as much as I dislike Hogan, he put 100% into the heel turn and completely reinvented himself.  I tend to think most guys wouldn't have embraced the role the way he did.

Edited by Eoae
Typos
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Jim Ross was discussing HBK's career on his Grilling JR podcast and said that Vince kept Shawn on the payroll during Michael's retirement and paid him $750,000 a year from '98-2002.  Anyone know how much active guys were making during that period?  Just wondering how 750K compares to whatever Shawn was making.

JR said Vince resisted pressure to cut on void the contract because "that's just the kind of guy he is."  Seems Vince has a lot of affection for Shawn.  Of course, JR also pointed out that Shawn was interested in going to WCW to play with Hall and Nash, so Vince also had a very good business reason to keep HBK under contract.  

i've said for years that it's pretty "miraculous" that HBK's back was so bad he couldn't wrestle for years, but just when his contract was up and he was about to stop getting paid, he could work a full time schedule again.

i've pondered for a long time whether the "back injury" was an excuse to get out of his contract so he could join his buddies in WCW. or at least, to what extent the damage was.

4 hours ago, Eoae said:

HBK leading the nWo would have been something.  Though, as much as I dislike Hogan, he put 100% into the heel turn and completely reinvented himself.  I tend to think most guys wouldn't have embraced the role the way he did.

While Hogan changing it up is commendable, watching it all back is excruciating. The only reason any of it worked was because Hogan during WCW’s peak was off filming bad movies, while Hall & Nash + the rest carried the nWo brand. If it was all Hogan, it wouldn’t have lasted more than six months. The initial turn did legitimize the group, but it was the WWF invaders who brought it down to earth, where it belonged.

• Like 1

As entertaining as Hall & Nash were as the "Invaders", all that went out the window when Hogan joined up. The dude had past his shelf-life in 1987, I had no interest watching him soil WCW with his unwelcome presence.

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Watching it THEN was excruciating! ?

Shawn and Hogan both in the NWO... good lord. 

I lived through Hogan in WCW (and wish I didn't), the very idea of Michaels in WCW nauseates me strangely.

4 hours ago, twiztor said:

i've said for years that it's pretty "miraculous" that HBK's back was so bad he couldn't wrestle for years, but just when his contract was up and he was about to stop getting paid, he could work a full time schedule again.

i've pondered for a long time whether the "back injury" was an excuse to get out of his contract so he could join his buddies in WCW. or at least, to what extent the damage was.

Wanna bet he had the same back doctor as Ric Rude?

• Like 1