DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2020 WRESTLING TALK.

3 hours ago, Hayabusa said:

Please understand that technically I don't disagree with you and I feel this is a valid point. 

To be fair though there's an entire industry related to scandals and gossip, with TMZ and all those being the modern version, but I mean gossip magazines and papers have been around since forever that I can remember 

These matters should be between them and them only i don't disagree but you've got the paparazzi rapid for private moments photos, and if you think they're bad then what do you think about the public thats ravenous for these photos/videos/recordings?

Personal anecdote but as a kid I loved Sunday mornings getting the newspaper and the first section id go to was the copy of Star for gossip 

Back to the issue though, I mean if the greedy fans/public weren't starved for this shit then there probably wouldn't be any gossip sites without the income from clicks

About edge/matt I can't remember exactly what was first but wasn't it hardy calling in to byte this that kinda jumpstarted it becoming a big thing? Or were there reports leaked before hardy called in?

If it was just something that the dirt sheets were reporting on, I could agree that it's not our business because it's their personal lives. But all of that went out the window when a real life situation was made into a storyline for television.

For example: Bray Wyatt & JoJo's personal lives aren't any of my concern, but if it was made into a storyline all those years ago based off of what happened, then I could absolutely comment on it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Moral grandstanding on a topic from 15 years ago for an entire page? Yeesh...

If we have to do it can it at least be about Dusty cutting Magnum's brakes?

One of my favorite recurring topics on the Wrestling Classics message board was "How would Dusty have managed to kill Magnum TA's heat (if the accident hadn't happened).  It was what it sounds like.  People speculating how Dusty would have kept the spotlight on himself while passive-agressively booking Magnum in heatless, dead-end feuds until he was just another guy.

The scenario I still remember had Dusty feuding with (and going over) young Sting while Magnum traded wins with heel Tim Horner.  Lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

48 minutes ago, Eoae said:

One of my favorite recurring topics on the Wrestling Classics message board was "How would Dusty have managed to kill Magnum TA's heat (if the accident hadn't happened).  It was what it sounds like.  People speculating how Dusty would have kept the spotlight on himself while passive-agressively booking Magnum in heatless, dead-end feuds until he was just another guy.

The scenario I still remember had Dusty feuding with (and going over) young Sting while Magnum traded wins with heel Tim Horner.  Lol

(Cody Rhodes eagerly scans the WC thread, frantically scribbling notes)  "Hey Darby, I have some ideas for this program!"

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

(Cody Rhodes eagerly scans the WC thread, frantically scribbling notes)  "Hey Darby, I have some ideas for this program!"

Lol, every time good 'ole Jr botches a call, says something dumb, or goes off an a tangent, I wonder if even Dusty would have been a big enough carny to keep JR in his spot.  It's been a lonngggg time since I though Ross consistently brought his A game and some of his comments about the product sound like he's trying to channel Cornette (I hope they at least reprimanded him privately for "coils"  I don't think he's wrong, but stop cashing the company's checks if you're going to undercut them publicly).

• Like 3

5 hours ago, EVA said:

But Beefcake did turn on him in WCW, and they main evented Starrcade (!!!).

EDIT:  Damn, simultaneous post.

I never really thought about this before, but when he came back in '98 as The Disciple, was it ever even mention d that he was Beefcake/Booty Man/etc. or were we supposed to believe he was just some dude who liked Hulk Hogan a lot?

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

Scott Steiner was actually trending on Twitter a few days ago thanks to Mikel Arteta:

EpxiK_tW8Ag1s2Y?format=jpg&name=medium

Hope this sparks a trend of soccer managers using famous wrestling promos

“This is Robbie Mireno reporting from West Bromwich Albion, Big Sam Allardyce, what just happened?”

”Whaddya mean what just happened? What are you blind? JEEEEZUS”

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

They seemed to assume we already knew/recognized him and/or that he had always been Disciple.

or they just didn’t care because the only reason he was even there was as a carrot to Hogan so so what?

49 minutes ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

I "liked" this, but as an Arsenal fan I did not like this (he says while hate watching the match against Man City) 

Fellow gooner, Arsenal are the football equivalent of watching Raw. 

Edited by Mr Harms
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Mikael Arteta going full Steiner in trying to explain away his managerial ineptitude is fantastic.

Ask any Gunners fan and Arteta's the far more effective heel. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Eoae said:

(I hope they at least reprimanded him privately for "coils"  I don't think he's wrong, but stop cashing the company's checks if you're going to undercut them publicly).

I doubt it, all those guys in charge especially Tony Khan is a mark for JR. I'm sure Khan wishes JR was more into the product but realistically, He watched enough NJPW on AXStv to know that JR isn't that much of a fan of current wrestling and honestly I believe Tony Khan had a vision for AEW to have alot of MidSouth influence that would impress JR. Also I'm sure he felt like just having him on the team would benefit the locker room and other staff by being a consultant to people. With people like Schiavone, Tully, Arn, Sting people like that around, I'm sure he's enjoying being around alot more. Even during the Attitude era , JR had his way of shitting on things he's not a fan of so it's no different here. I still thing his voice adds to AEW. If your an old fan stumbling across AEW and you hear JR on the call you might not change the channel. The casual fan isn't gonna be paying attention to JR's lack of enthusiasm like people like us. He's still better than the overly produced commentary in WWE. Unless you're Samoa Joe or in NXT it's impossible to be a good commentator. JR is far from Pat Patterson in than even as time went on he seemed to be just as enthusiastic about the business as he was in the beginning and even pitching ideas he did it in a way where he was constructive in his criticism by adding his ideas .

• Like 2

I will say that wrestling isn't the only sports presentation where the "curmudgeonly pbp announcer" is commonplace. This past postseason for Major League Baseball was rife with former players taking a wet shit on how the game is played now. John Smoltz is one of my favorite players of all time, but if dude doesn't like baseball, he shouldn't be calling it...

• Like 4

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
5 hours ago, Mr Harms said:

Fellow gooner, Arsenal are the football equivalent of watching Raw. 

I would laugh at Arsenal's misfortune but then I'm a Sheffield United fan, who at the moment are the football equivalent of watching Sharmell v Jenna Morasca on a loop.

8 hours ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

I would laugh at Arsenal's misfortune but then I'm a Sheffield United fan, who at the moment are the football equivalent of watching Sharmell v Jenna Morasca on a loop.

There's always room for schadenfreude at the expense of a traditional power. Look at all the abuse Sunderland supporters gleefully tossed at Newcastle when the Toon were relegated a few years ago.

On 12/21/2020 at 4:35 PM, paintedbynumbers said:

I was team Hardy at the time. Met Matt when it happened. He came in to work AJ Styles and Justin Idol.  I believe Gorman did the call on the AJ match??   But either way I was expecting Edge to be a prick and he was 100% the opposite, signed my hat and chatted for quite sometime. Matt Hardy had a new Gf pretty fast after the breakup too.  

I wish! I came home to take care of the baby at the end of 2004.

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
6 hours ago, Pete said:

There's always room for schadenfreude at the expense of a traditional power. Look at all the abuse Sunderland supporters gleefully tossed at Newcastle when the Toon were relegated a few years ago.

Fair point, had a chuckle at the Man City highlights. Not sure I'll be in such a good mood after Blades v Everton on Boxing Day 

Edited by Jimbo_Tsuruta

6 hours ago, Pete said:

Sunderland? The tiny, tiny club stuck in League One? I think I saw a documentary on their attempts to rise to the level of the PL awhile back.

?