DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2020 WRESTLING TALK.

2 hours ago, Hayabusa said:

So for fun I'm watching WWE Timeline covering the Danielson/Miz rivalry and especially that promo.

Goes into all kinds of background and angles and covers a couple years etc

Okay so get to the point right, lmao. During Danielsons' retirement they got AEW ref Aubrey Edwards in the crowd as one of the fans losing their shit over D-Bry having to hang up the boots. Ain't even recognize her at first, so used to her in the referee uniform. 

I just realized last week that her and I have been connected on Linkedin for a over a year. Her real name isn't Aubrey, go figure. 

• Like 1

Characters only have flaws if they are written to have them. What do you all think was the worst unnecessary flaw WWE wrote in for one of their talents?

I'll give my choice as an example. Why the fuck did they have John Cena kiss Eve while she was with his best buddy Zack Ryder? I know she came on to him...but why would you have your number 1 babyface and top merch seller and role model for children kiss back his buddy's girl?? And what was the possible payoff? All it did was make Cena look like an asshole and give the men in the audience another reason to bury him. Thinking back it still kinda ticks me off because they were so staunch about not turning Cena because of his value as a face, but still have him pull the ultimate dick move, for absolutely no reason. 

Anyone else have any similar totally unnecessary character flaws written by "creative" that grinds their gears?

27 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Why the fuck did they have John Cena kiss Eve while she was with his best buddy Zack Ryder? I know she came on to him...but why would you have your number 1 babyface and top merch seller and role model for children kiss back his buddy's girl??

Apparently it's none of our business. ?

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

The WWF/E Ace is always a friendless, selfish arsehole. Doesn't matter if it's Hogan, Hart, Michaels, Austin, Rock, H, Cena or Reigns. It's always the same booking. That and the no-selling on the comeback.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AxB said:

The WWF/E Ace is always a friendless, selfish arsehole. Doesn't matter if it's Hogan, Hart, Michaels, Austin, Rock, H, Cena or Reigns. It's always the same booking. That and the no-selling on the comeback.

At the beginning, Hogan was booked as an ace with backup. Andre, JYD, Hillbilly Jim etc. had his back for the most part. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Infinit said:

At the beginning, Hogan was booked as an ace with backup. Andre, JYD, Hillbilly Jim etc. had his back for the most part. 

As well as actually coming to help these guys out, when needed (e.g. Andre and Tony Atlas vs Studd & Bundy).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Eoae said:

Not really.  It’s none of our concern in the slightest.  It should have been a private matter between four adults.

Please understand that technically I don't disagree with you and I feel this is a valid point. 

To be fair though there's an entire industry related to scandals and gossip, with TMZ and all those being the modern version, but I mean gossip magazines and papers have been around since forever that I can remember 

These matters should be between them and them only i don't disagree but you've got the paparazzi rapid for private moments photos, and if you think they're bad then what do you think about the public thats ravenous for these photos/videos/recordings?

Personal anecdote but as a kid I loved Sunday mornings getting the newspaper and the first section id go to was the copy of Star for gossip 

Back to the issue though, I mean if the greedy fans/public weren't starved for this shit then there probably wouldn't be any gossip sites without the income from clicks

About edge/matt I can't remember exactly what was first but wasn't it hardy calling in to byte this that kinda jumpstarted it becoming a big thing? Or were there reports leaked before hardy called in?

10 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I just realized last week that her and I have been connected on Linkedin for a over a year. Her real name isn't Aubrey, go figure. 

That's tremendous, sincerely. She comes across as a great funny friend on the unrestricted podcast

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Peck said:

Raw is doing a Legends Night on 1/4 so basically every WWF/E wrestler ever who still lives in the Tampa area will be invited. 

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL this fucking company.  When I heard there'd be a shakeup, I figured it would be some dumb gimmick that they abandoned in three weeks.  I gave them too much credit.  Christ, Vince has no new ideas and no faith an new talent, does he? 

9 hours ago, AxB said:

Here's a good article I read a while back about NJPW's stable system vs WWE's lone, friendless babyface system.  I feel like this thing is heavily tied to Vince's right-wing leanings, and the myth of the American Dream that people of that ilk like to romanticize, that everyone should be a rugged individualist, the only worthwhile success is the "self-made" kind, getting help from friends is for losers, and that your "friends" just want something from you and will eventually stab you in the back to take it.

8 hours ago, Infinit said:

See comment above.  For every friend Hogan had that stayed true, he had another who turned on him (Andre, Orndorff, Savage).

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

For every friend Hogan had that stayed true, he had another who turned on him (Andre, Orndorff, Savage).

And everyone of them was justified in doing so. Hogan couldn't even be bothered to learn how to pronounce Orndorff's last name correctly. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I can name three friends who never turned on Hogan and there are good reasons why that never happened. 

• JYD: left the company before that could be booked
  • Hillbilly: pretty much retired before that could be booked
  • Beefcake: even in their most coked-fueled wildest dreams, Hogan and Vince didn't see Beef as a draw on top vs Hogan.  It really says something about Ed Leslie that two guys who locked themselves in a hotel room and worked their way through a Tony Montana size mountain of nose candy to rewrite No Holds Barred couldn't get in any frame of mind where the guy could be a draw.  :D
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I can name three friends who never turned on Hogan and there are good reasons why that never happened. 

• JYD: left the company before that could be booked
  • Hillbilly: pretty much retired before that could be booked
  • Beefcake: even in their most coked-fueled wildest dreams, Hogan and Vince didn't see Beef as a draw on top vs Hogan.  It really says something about Ed Leslie that two guys who locked themselves in a hotel room and worked their way through a Tony Montana size mountain of nose candy to rewrite No Holds Barred couldn't get in any frame of mind where the guy could be a draw.  ?

And of course, Beefcake did turn on him in WCW, eventually. I'm guessing it didn't particularly draw. It's also funny that Tugboat didn't actually turn heel on Hogan, but once he did turn, he did actually face Hogan at least once.

• Like 1