DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2020 WRESTLING TALK.

3 hours ago, Hayabusa said:

If you were going to make a list of Top 10 or even just Top 5 John Tenta matches, an appreciation style highlights package, what would you have on there?

Honestly, you really do have to include the sumo match against Yokozuna on Raw. It's such a great moment when he wins (spoilers for a 25 year old match). It was a really nice send off for him, as it was his last televised match before heading to WCW.

Probably one of the few times a wrestler was given a big win by Vince on his way out the door. Definitely a testament to how well liked he was.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I thought he started that in Stampede with the Zodiak as his manager. Then again given Stampede's shaky on-off scheduling, he could have worked PR at the same time. 

Working out Puerto Rico history is tricky but Chicky Starr took credit for the gimmick, bringing in Moffat from a New Japan tour to play Jason. Moffat said he hadn't even seen any Jason movies at that time and had to rent them in Japanese while in Tokyo. After a six month run in PR, he took the gimmick back to Calgary.

• Like 1

Double post!

Cagematch's entries for these monsters are all over the place. They list Bob Baragail as working a lot of them in W*ING when he only really turned up right at the end. They undersell Rafael Rodriguez's tenure as Jason considerably.

Edited by Linus

Not sure if this is too random to belong here, but with the news that Russia is forbidden from using their country name, flag and anthem for the next two Olympics, my mind obviously went to wrestling, having all the athletes embrace their ‘otherness’ and insist on being announced ‘...from Parts Unknown......’ with some kickarse alternative flag and entrance music. Just a thought.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Custos said:

Not sure if this is too random to belong here, but with the news that Russia is forbidden from using their country name, flag and anthem for the next two Olympics, my mind obviously went to wrestling, having all the athletes embrace their ‘otherness’ and insist on being announced ‘...from Parts Unknown......’ with some kickarse alternative flag and entrance music. Just a thought.

"The athlethes from parts unknown request that you all rise, and respect their singing of the Soviet National Anthem!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

10 hours ago, The Natural said:

A Twitter thread made up of Bobby Heenan quotes. Enjoy.

I'll have to go through those.  But while on Twitter it might be worth following this account.  They do a pretty good job being Monsoon and Heenan and cover live shows going on.  And while Heenan was alive apparently they found out from his wife that he liked it.  So there you go.  

Edited by NikoBaltimore
Had to put just the link as linking to their page lists a bunch of tweets. Yikes.
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, AxB said:

Which will happen first in 2021... full attendance indie wrestling shows being allowed throughout the USA, or Speedball Mike Bailey being allowed to enter the country and wrestle on them?

Jan 2021 in MS there will be no attendance caps on indie shows.

One state to the west,LA,their commission has said it might be 2022 before they allow any wrestling to happen.

8 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Yup! And we have the front row seat over here, watching this unfold, but we are too busy looking the other way and feeling super uncomfortable. It's the Finnish way.

Don't feel bad, you guys kicked their asses in the Winter War. I don't think they'll try you again. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bobholly138 said:

Jan 2021 in MS there will be no attendance caps on indie shows.

In unrelated news, BLP, Paradigm, Glory Pro, Beyond, and every other indy not named AAW or PWG has just announced they're moving from Indiana to Mississippi.  ?

Edited by Technico Support

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

Don't feel bad, you guys kicked their asses in the Winter War. I don't think they'll try you again. 

Yeah, well our grandfathers were damned bad-asses and still got extremely lucky. Hey, I was in the army, like the majority of Finns, as a civic duty, and I don't really like our chances. So, thank you for the vote of confidence, but we REALLY hope it will never come down to that, again!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, they did try you again in the Continuation War, which I didn't know about until now. The more you know... 

But anyway I'd like to think Scandinavia is pretty much off-limits whereas the UN are murkier about Ukraine and other satellite countries. 

Yeah, there's a super valid reason us Finns don't like to talk about that one! Our own little "wait, doesn't that make us the bad guys, then?"-moment.