DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2020 WRESTLING TALK.

I'm honestly surprised Roman is on Smackdown. Usually anytime RAW is in a jam, they figure out a way to pillage Smackdown to boost RAW. Honestly I don't think it would matter if Roman were on RAW and Drew on Smackdown. Things would be exactly where they are now. The really good Roman angle would just be the highlight of these otherwise meh show's. 

9 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

But again, who's to say that they're in for a correction? Investors keep telling me TSLA is going to correct any day now, too.

But Tesla has what you described with Disney.  They will have multiple streams of revenue,  are making cheaper more efficient batteries in-house,  dabbling in being their own energy company,  expanding in China and Europe and likely to have a vehicle under $25K by 2023.  Plus, it seems that everyone is on board with EVs moving forward. 

WWE was actually ahead of the curve with WWE Network but I feel they sort of squandered that a bit and if TV rights do run into an issue down the road I don't see where the alternatives are for increasing revenue. 

It sucks I'm not allowed to post them, but I have a bunch of great Tarzan Goto matches from Shin FMW. He would often work both the opening match and the main event, the opening matches would always be against rookies. Some of the guys he faced in Shin FMW, Mitsunobu Kikuzawa, Keisuke "Buffalo" Yamada, Masaaki Mochizuki, and Masashi Aoyagi. I want to say the later two were singles matches on the same show, the Aoyagi singles match was really good and hard hitting. I've also seen footage of him vs Masao Orihara in a really good looking barbed wire boards match.

Ichiro I really like but he can be pretty bad, I heard via my friend from our source he had a really awful match with a young Daisuke Sekimoto in Keizo Matsuda's DO promotion.
But having said that him and Goto tend to deliver as a tag team, he also seems to be really happy to be there even on small indie shows. I've seen him work a masked Vader inspired gimmick in some obscure indie and that was a ton of fun. Oh and on several DO shows he tags with Dump Matsumoto which might be one my favorite things about that promotion.

Possibly the most how the hell did this get booked thing that will soon be a part of my collection, is a show with Satoru Sayama vs Koichiro Kimura in a shoot match, other matches include a 6 man with a Ryuma Go team vs a team with Uchuu Majin Silver X and a match with the Mummy.

Yes Tanahashi was in the same group as Hard Gay, I think, not just them but Hayabusa and Mr.Gannosuke also started as student wrestlers.
I know Sasuke had a match with a guy from JWA (Tokai) last year or so, which I think was either the first or one of the first student groups.
They released 2 DVDs sadly the one I get mainly consists of them talking but the other DVD is supposed to have the match.

Sorry for going on like that but I love talking about this stuff.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Edwin said:

TIL the Freddy Kruger gimmick was done outside of W*ING and reading his Wiki entry, it says he actually wrestle as Freddy in Memphis before than the gimmick even debuted in W*ING.

I know Jason worked in Stampede and in Puerto Rico before W*ING.

Now I'm curious, did Leatherface or any of the other monsters show up elsewhere outside of W*ING or Japanese indys?

I just finished writing a history of W*ING for my 'zine (cheap plug: wrestlingcanbeanything.bigcartel.com) and based it around the various monsters. The first Freddy was Tommy Gilbert in Memphis, and Memphis also had the first Leatherface (Mike Samples). Jason started in Puerto Rico with Karl Moffat under the hood, and The Boogie Man (Eddie Gilbert), Crypt Keeper (Jose Estrada Jr), and Grave Digger were W*ING originals.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Wasn't there also a completely different guy named Nightmare Freddy in the 80s, who had nothing to do with a Krueger gimmick? I wanna say he popped up briefly in Continental with Eddie Gilbert?

It was Doug Gilbert, as one of the masked Nightmares with Danny Davis.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ziggy said:

USA being as much behind NXT going on USA as WWE is interesting.

Right?  I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.  I understood WWE needing to hurt AEW to keep their spot as the top-rated wrestling show because they are conning USA for that money.  What I didn't consider was that the USA execs who signed that deal need to work the people they answer to as well.  Carnies, all the way down!

If USA NBC Universal had any insight beyond the simplest bottom line thinking, the real question to ask isn't "do we have the number one wrestling show on TV?"  The question should be, "why did TNT pay a fraction of what we did for a close number two?"

Value for your money-wise, USA overpaid $2000 for a dinner for two at Ruth's Chris while TNT went to Outback with a coupon and paid like 60 bucks.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, Sawada's Cobra said:

It sucks I'm not allowed to post them, but I have a bunch of great Tarzan Goto matches from Shin FMW. He would often work both the opening match and the main event, the opening matches would always be against rookies. Some of the guys he faced in Shin FMW, Mitsunobu Kikuzawa, Keisuke "Buffalo" Yamada, Masaaki Mochizuki, and Masashi Aoyagi. I want to say the later two were singles matches on the same show, the Aoyagi singles match was really good and hard hitting. I've also seen footage of him vs Masao Orihara in a really good looking barbed wire boards match.

If you could get this stuff on YouTube or Daily Motion, it would be great. I got some Shin FMW videos from BAHU a little while ago and they were entertaining. One of them had a match with Super Leather, but I don't think it was Corporal Kirchner, I think it was Tony Myers or someone else.

Ichiro I really like but he can be pretty bad, I heard via my friend from our source he had a really awful match with a young Daisuke Sekimoto in Keizo Matsuda's DO promotion.

DO? Never heard of that promotion. I know Ichiro Yaguchi also is a musician, so wrestling seems more like a side gig for him.

Possibly the most how the hell did this get booked thing that will soon be a part of my collection, is a show with Satoru Sayama vs Koichiro Kimura in a shoot match, other matches include a 6 man with a Ryuma Go team vs a team with Uchuu Majin Silver X and a match with the Mummy.

Yes Tanahashi was in the same group as Hard Gay, I think, not just them but Hayabusa and Mr.Gannosuke also started as student wrestlers.
I know Sasuke had a match with a guy from JWA (Tokai) last year or so, which I think was either the first or one of the first student groups.
They released 2 DVDs sadly the one I get mainly consists of them talking but the other DVD is supposed to have the match.

What's the source for this stuff? I'd def. wouldn't mind getting my hands on some of these sleazy indy videos. If you can make mp4s of these, I'd be more than gladly to send you some bucks for you to get these on Google Drive or something.

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Right?  I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.  I understood WWE needing to hurt AEW to keep their spot as the top-rated wrestling show because they are conning USA for that money.  What I didn't consider was that the USA execs who signed that deal need to work the people they answer to as well.  Carnies, all the way down!

If USA NBC Universal had any insight beyond the simplest bottom line thinking, the real question to ask isn't "do we have the number one wrestling show on TV?"  The question should be, "why did TNT pay a fraction of what we did for a close number two?"

Value for your money-wise, USA overpaid $2000 for a dinner for two at Ruth's Chris while TNT went to Outback with a coupon and paid like 60 bucks.

Just want to say the Bloomin' Onion is awesome. That is all.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I can't share them, I get them from a friend who asked me never share, or upload any of the shows online, the Japanese traders are really strict about that.
Even in Japan these shows are very rare, not to mention expensive as hell the prices go from say 16 to 40 or so bucks.

Believe me if I could I'd share them, wouldn't want to make any money on them either, but I don't want to destroy the friendship and trust we have build up over the last 10 plus years.

If it's the first show released on DVD of the post 2000 Shin FMW that was Ichiro Yaguchi wrestling as Leatherface, though there is a other Japanese Leatherface.

DO features guys from IWA Japan, BJW and some other indies. Sadly the DVD releases they put out are hit or miss as some are filmed from very weird angles.
For instance I have one that was shot with the guy filming the show facing the ring diagonally for the entire show, it looks really weird. 

I'm not 100% but that JWA Tokai show was a "commercial" release, probably bought at one of their shows, though I think Toudoukan might also have had a hand in this one.
For the record Toudoukan does have some really rare stuff from time to time, I bought some Nightmare VHS tapes from them and 2 Battle Sphere shows from them.
But like I said these are really rare they might show up once every few years, but you have to be lucky to get them, I missed out on some rare stuff too like a commercial IWA Japan DVD-R which had Goto holding a pineapple on the cover.

• Like 1

Which will happen first in 2021... full attendance indie wrestling shows being allowed throughout the USA, or Speedball Mike Bailey being allowed to enter the country and wrestle on them?

21 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Just want to say the Bloomin' Onion is awesome. That is all.

Absolutely a top tier appetizer

And as I will tell anyone who will listen: Old Dutch makes Bloomin' Onion flavored chips and they are fire.

Edited by Zimbra
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

I'm honestly surprised Roman is on Smackdown. Usually anytime RAW is in a jam, they figure out a way to pillage Smackdown to boost RAW. Honestly I don't think it would matter if Roman were on RAW and Drew on Smackdown. Things would be exactly where they are now. The really good Roman angle would just be the highlight of these otherwise meh show's. 

Looking at FOX's promotion for SD, Roman is the centerpiece. SD's ratings increased back to 2 million-plus after his return. Can't see them giving that up.

USA would surely like to have Roman back on RAW. They supposedly got fussy when Roman was moved to SD in the 2019 Shakeup. It was clear he would be on FOX that October. That's how the Wild Card rule was apparently born, to pacify USA a bit. But Roman being on whatever show is top priority is a given. That's currently SD with the FOX deal. WWE may have Roman appear on both shows, but I'd be shocked if he was moved off SD anytime soon.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Linus said:

Jason started in Puerto Rico with Karl Moffat under the hood

I thought he started that in Stampede with the Zodiak as his manager. Then again given Stampede's shaky on-off scheduling, he could have worked PR at the same time. 

An axehandle with no blade... yeah. Blame that on Whalen I guess. 

EDIT: Holy shit Zodiak starts quoting "The Ripper" by Judas Priest at one point! 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

I dvr'd  Raw because I 'd bet alot on MNF. I literally just now finished watching and it was a chore to get through.  I have no interest in Miz or Morrison anywhere near the main event level and they will not help ratings. In fact I believe they will drive ratings further down. AJ and Drew need to have a 1 on 1 TLC match, a show stealer.  Fiend and Orton need to do something big to make fans want to watch Raw the next night.  If they decide to do a shakeup I would bring Daniel Bryan to Raw, have him win the Rumble and book DB vs Drew face vs face for Mania.  It's a fresh match and would counter the shitty Roman-Goldberg.  Unless by miracle they do Rock-Roman  in which case I would still run DB vs Drew on the Raw side.  Have the show end with Rock and DB standing tall. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, D.Z said:

Apparently some kinda shake up or change  is gonna happen for Raw post TLC. Could be fake news but whatever.

TOORNAMENTS BRO TOOOOORNAMENTS

Sorry I was possessed by Russo for a second there.

How long has it been since their last shakeup gimmicks, Raw Underground and Retribution?  Unless the shakeup is "Vince has decided to retire and move to Mar A Lago with his BFF," nothing's going to help.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1