DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2020 WRESTLING TALK.

12 minutes ago, Morganti said:

I mean. Truthfully? For WWE as long as they get paid it probably is.  The only way things change is if usa/fox start hammering vince or they stop makin merch money.

I'm wondering if USA and FOX will believe WWE is worth a billion dollars when the next contract comes. FOX is probably ok with Smackdown doing 2+ million each Friday Night.  I think they are usually winning the 18-49.  The thing with USA is if they get rid of WWE what does USA become?  The ratings are dwindling and they are no longer #1 on cable but what else does USA have? 

13 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Not good for the current RAW roster who we’ll get the share of the blame.

I mean, yeah, they will.  Internally.  Externally, anyone who has been following the WWE and Raw post 2001 has seen the slow steady decline in well, everything, as Vince ages and loses touch and loses the yes men who could actually filter a good wrestling and entertainment show that the crazy old man likes and keeps fan interest. Now he only has the yes men who collect a check, the people who keep their heads down, and the various members of the board who actually get the blame when its still all Vince.

However, the traditional recourse when a publicly traded company is starting to fuck off and potentially harm profits won't work coz even as the ratings drop WWE gets paid and makes a profit so the shareholders won't force out Vince and with how the stock structure is set up, they couldn't even if they wanted to iirc.

She has been SD champion, but the di

5 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm not sure about her ceiling but she's already been SD! champion so that wouldn't be a new accomplishment.

The Smackdown Woman's Title is now really obviously the Main Title; I think that's they key thing. Also she main-evented Smackdown, which I'm not sure ever happened before.

Asuka is essentially a transitional champion, despite a relatively long reign.

Smackdown still does good numbers on Fox. So they have a chance to get something there. USA is the one to worry about. The main demo rating has slipped in such a way that I wouldn’t be surprised if it does NXT’s usual numbers eventually. It’s like the audience is treating RAW as an afterthought, like they do NXT. But it still pulls in USA’s best ratings, for now. So this might be what saves them.

45 minutes ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

She has been SD champion, but the di

The Smackdown Woman's Title is now really obviously the Main Title; I think that's they key thing. Also she main-evented Smackdown, which I'm not sure ever happened before.

Asuka is essentially a transitional champion, despite a relatively long reign.

I haven't been watching much of RAW but from the rumor mill I am expecting 

Charlotte comes back soon,  they team up and then rekindle their feud? Asuka/Charlotte for Mania again?

On the Smackdown side it's tougher it could be another multi women match something like Bayley vs. Sasha vs. Carmella vs. Bianca

But what I'd really like is a straight up singles match between Bianca and Sasha. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

On 12/13/2020 at 11:11 PM, twiztor said:

speaking of Kinnikuman, a couple years ago i found the first episode (and only the first ep) dubbed into English. now that i'm looking for it again, i'm striking out. anybody run across it recently?

https://www.thewatchcartoononline.tv/anime/muscleman-english-subbed

Fan-subs of the first 86 episodes.  I always wondered how Mattel would've edited it to get it to make sense to an American audience cause the main toy-line villain doesn't show up for quite a while.  Also, cause it's weird as shit and maybe not all that appropriate for children in the 80s.

The sequel series Ultimate Muscle was officially dubbed into English.  The voice work and dialogue is awful though.

• Thanks 2

Anyone good enough at Photoshop to make a version of the No Country for Old Men poster, only it says Some Wrestling for Old Men and has RAW wrestlers instead of the movie cast?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just go home from work and I saw on Twitter that Raw had its lowest ratings Monday and people were celebrating and people speak Doom and gloom upon the company. Obviously it isn't a good thing for them to be drawing such low viewers but they are still having record revenue in their history its not like in the mid 90s when they were at risk of going out of business. They do finally have a legitimate competitor in the market in AEW but its not like they have been a direct cause of the TV ratings decline of the 2 flagship shows. I don't like to see that the ratings declined so low but the company does themselves no favors. The business itself is at a downtime  right now anyway plus the pandemic doesn't help. Honestly though I havent sensed any urgency my Vince and company to really turn things around anyway for years. Its like all they do is either shuffle their roster or make a rule for guys to work both shows. Say what you will about NXT and their ratings but atleast you get the sense that they are actually trying, actually making an effort to have something appealing to their audience 

5 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Just go home from work and I saw on Twitter that Raw had its lowest ratings Monday and people were celebrating and people speak Doom and gloom upon the company. Obviously it isn't a good thing for them to be drawing such low viewers but they are still having record revenue in their history its not like in the mid 90s when they were at risk of going out of business. They do finally have a legitimate competitor in the market in AEW but its not like they have been a direct cause of the TV ratings decline of the 2 flagship shows. I don't like to see that the ratings declined so low but the company does themselves no favors. The business itself is at a downtime  right now anyway plus the pandemic doesn't help. Honestly though I havent sensed any urgency my Vince and company to really turn things around anyway for years. Its like all they do is either shuffle their roster or make a rule for guys to work both shows. Say what you will about NXT and their ratings but atleast you get the sense that they are actually trying, actually making an effort to have something appealing to their audience 

I don’t think any real wrestling fans are truly celebrating, it’s more of the same type of trolls that shit on everything aew does. I just don’t see Vince ever making a change. Remember like 2-3 years ago Stephanie and Vince did a promo straight up saying creative would change? And that was a theme in a number of straight quarterly calls, we are overhauling creative. Honestly Vince won’t change direction until it was officially too late (not that it would get that far, and what a disaster for the industry that would be). 

• Like 1

I'm certainly not celebrating RAW's continued free fall in the ratings. We know it's not the fault of the talent. They can only do and work with what they are given. I can't blame the writers because as we know Vince has a habit of taking the show and making them redo it on a literal hours notice. So for all we know they have been coming up with good stuff, but since it's not what Vince wants (and no one has the guts to tell him he's wrong) we are stuck with what we have now.

There really has to be some sort of corporate bylaw somewhere in the WWE that would allow for Vince to be forced to retire or something. At this rate he's gonna be around another 20 years like Sumner Redstone.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, matt925 said:

I don’t think any real wrestling fans are truly celebrating, it’s more of the same type of trolls that shit on everything aew does. I just don’t see Vince ever making a change. Remember like 2-3 years ago Stephanie and Vince did a promo straight up saying creative would change? And that was a theme in a number of straight quarterly calls, we are overhauling creative. Honestly Vince won’t change direction until it was officially too late (not that it would get that far, and what a disaster for the industry that would be). 

Smackdown was been really good overall lately. I hope they don't do something to where the change the roster. Raw has a ton of great talent but Vince doesn't want to them

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, matt925 said:

Yeah that was Vince’s carny arrogance on full display, selling the perception of change to investors who don’t know better, papering over it. Just like Heyman and Bischoff coming in. And Raw Underground. And Retribution. And the Thunderdome. And the global NXT expansion. And ‘you are The Authority’. And the draft. And Tyson Fury/Cain Velasquez. And the NXT fresh meat into the Raw grinder. I love some of the WWE talent and the occasional show. I cannot stand its leadership, strategy, and what has been evidenced of its culture.

I think the fervour around the historic low numbers is also those living in naive optimism of a mythical ‘tipping point’ that lights a fire under Vince, ignite innovation etc but to your point it’ll never happen or happen way too late

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Smackdown was been really good overall lately. I hope they don't do something to where the change the roster. Raw has a ton of great talent but Vince doesn't want to them

So much talent. I’m sure it’s not easy from watching certain mishaps aew has made, but it can’t be that hard with the talent man. The fans clearly want to like it.