DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2020 WRESTLING TALK.

Is it any coincidence that every face becomes stale and bland under Vince? How every heel change results in a chicken shit heel act for months? They just split Otis and Tucker for no reason, they were a good opening team! I bet Vince decided the night they split to do so without any thought as to why. I imagine that even if Vince controlled NXT they would still have random call ups. They can't abandon Lars Sullivan but Zelina Vega can't have twitch. 

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

The tattoos would be an issue in Japan as they are generally frowned upon and Black has a ridiculous amount of them. Kotetsu Boku has opened up about having problems because of his tattoos and he has much less than Black.

Westerners aren’t generally held to the same standards as native talent (in several different ways).  NJPW has employed plenty of gaijin with lots of tattoos with no issues.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 2

Somebody help me because I'm drawing a blank: I'm trying to remember an early-2000s tag team active in the NE Indies (pretty sure they were in JAPW/UCW).  Big guys who were kind of a white, not-as-good Da Hit Squad.

Found these clips from a Japanese twitter user while looking for an old anime, anime Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan, Abby, Baba, Inoki, and more.
I have no idea what it's from, but would certainly love to get my hands on the VHS tape for my collection.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't notice but the rest of this page is very NSFW and best left avoided.

Edited by Sawada's Cobra
There's NSFW content on the twitter page and I put a warning up.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sawada's Cobra said:

Found these clips from a Japanese twitter user while looking for an old anime, anime Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan, Abby, Baba, Inoki, and more.
I have no idea what it's from, but would certainly love to get my hands on the VHS tape for my collection.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't notice but the rest of this page is very NSFW and best left avoided.

I have no idea what this is either. At first I thought it was Kinnikuman, but that doesn’t appear to be the case whatsoever.

6 hours ago, twiztor said:

speaking of Kinnikuman, a couple years ago i found the first episode (and only the first ep) dubbed into English. now that i'm looking for it again, i'm striking out. anybody run across it recently?

Not dubbed, but I watched a huge chunk of it on some bootleg Fire TV channel not all that long ago, like within the last 18 months, and I know that there used to be a fansubbed torrent floating around. I have next to zero idea where you might find it now, though. That's pretty niche to be popping up on your typical trackers. I wish I would have grabbed it, because I love that goddamn show. 

9 hours ago, twiztor said:

speaking of Kinnikuman, a couple years ago i found the first episode (and only the first ep) dubbed into English. now that i'm looking for it again, i'm striking out. anybody run across it recently?

Probably an American pilot that wasn’t picked up. There are a surprising number of anime’s they tried to bring over to the US at one point. The majority of things that did make it through were stuff involving mechs, and European flavored shows that could appeal to young women. 

They might’ve planned to bring the anime over because of the popularity of “M.U.S.C.L.E.”. But realized that the anime, and manga was pretty damn weird for the US. 

So looking up more info about that wrestling anime, I discovered a manga that was published in the 80’s that would cover the history of real life popular wrestlers at the time. These two things might not be related, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they did ended being related, and this was the best outcome they came up with to adapt these books for this OVA(I’m assuming it’s an OVA because this looks really good for it’s time).

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Probably an American pilot that wasn’t picked up. There are a surprising number of anime’s they tried to bring over to the US at one point. The majority of things that did make it through were stuff involving mechs, and European flavored shows that could appeal to young women. 

From 2001 to 2004, I worked in the marketing department for ADV Films. Once a week, the production department would gather together marketing and the art department and whoever else was available to watch and give reviews of undubbed pilots for shows that Japanese companies were trying to get us to license. Hardly anything we watched ended up getting licensed, because a large majority of it was garbage. (So, so many shows about robot maids and the young boys who want to fuck them.) Really, really good anime is kind of rare. 

• Like 2

On 12/12/2020 at 8:29 AM, christopher.annino said:

Signing a guy like Keith Lee and then not wanting him to look OR wrestle the way he does is as on-brand for Vince as steak wraps and Red Bull. Constantly shifting and bending to the whims of a miserable old man is wild, and I am immensely thankful there's a legit competitor now. I still get my TV wrasslin' fix without watching my favorites flounder or constantly get their legs kicked out from under them/their legs. 

Only WWE would sign a fat guy who can fly and do amazing things, then tell him to try to not be fat, fly, or do amazing things. 

WWE takes guys who do cool shit, then they remove all the cool shit from their games and make them all average.  There's a great Kurt Vonnegut short story, Harrison Bergeron, that I'm always reminded of whenever I hear how WWE sands down all the edges of their workers until they're all smooth and bland.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 13

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Only WWE would sign a fat guy who can fly and do amazing things, then tell him to try to not be fat, fly, or do amazing things. 

WWE takes guys who do cool shit, then they remove all the cool shit from their games and make them all average.  There's a great Kurt Vonnegut short story, Harrison Bergeron, that I'm always reminded of whenever I hear how WWE sands down all the edges of their workers until they're all smooth and bland.

Meltzer actually put it best: Lee does some things incredibly and some things not so incredibly. Many years back Ric Flair told him that when he turned face he realized that he wasn't great at doing dropkicks (a face staple) and he decided not to do them because he's Ric Flair and he doesn't do anything average. So tell him to do the stuff he does great and don't do the stuff he doesn't do great.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Meltzer actually put it best: Lee does some things incredibly and some things not so incredibly. Many years back Ric Flair told him that when he turned face he realized that he wasn't great at doing dropkicks (a face staple) and he decided not to do them because he's Ric Flair and he doesn't do anything average. So tell him to do the stuff he does great and don't do the stuff he doesn't do great.

Yep, I heard that show and it's a great point.  My impression is that they want Lee to work more like a big man.  Which is ridiculous because Lee's entire gimmick is that he's a big man who doesn't work that way. 

• Like 1