DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2020 WRESTLING TALK.

4 hours ago, Infinit said:

I saw a Bix tweet and I thought it would make for some fun debate here. 

Anoa'i vs Fatu

Who ya got??

It's close...but I got the Fatu's. Rikishi, Umaga, Tama, Usos, Jacob. 

Man, I'd hate to have to break up the Samoan Swat Team....

I guess I'm taking the side with UMAAAAAAAAAAAGAAAAA

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Casey said:

I don't even like WWE anymore, but give me Roman Reigns and Yokozuna over people like Umaga or Jacob Fatu any day of the week. Plus you have the Wild Samoans, too.

Rikishi? Tama Tonga? Laughable.

Tama = Samoan Savage/Sam Fatu

The Anoa'i side is top heavy with Roman/Yoko, but they also have Manu/Black Pearl/LA Smooth which kind of brings down their average, IMO. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Infinit said:

I saw a Bix tweet and I thought it would make for some fun debate here. 

Anoa'i vs Fatu

Who ya got??

It's close...but I got the Fatu's. Rikishi, Umaga, Tama, Usos, Jacob. 

Someone should do a March Madness style Tournament thread where we all vote on the Best Wrestling Family over time. It would probably take some thought on which Families are apart of it there's a ton of Lucha Families that are only familiar with people that follow Lucha. And its another way do discuss or mention under appreciated members of a particular family 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Someone should do a March Madness style Tournament thread where we all vote on the Best Wrestling Family over time. It would probably take some thought on which Families are apart of it there's a ton of Lucha Families that are only familiar with people that follow Lucha. And its another way do discuss or mention under appreciated members of a particular family 

The Casas family wins and if they don't win, the tournament is invalid and nullified.

4 hours ago, Edwin said:

The Casas family wins and if they don't win, the tournament is invalid and nullified.

Haku is part of a wrestling family, so he wins because I don't want to die a horrible death. 

• Haha 8

15 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

Is Samoa Joe done for good as an in-ring competitor? As good as he is on commentary, I'd like to see him get one last main event push.

If you ask Samoa Joe no, but Vince might have a different answer.

I don't see him getting a main event push exactly, though I could see them maybe feeding him to Roman Reigns at some point.

But generally speaking, if you're a 41 year old wrestler being paid not to take bumps then it's a pretty sweet gig.

• Like 3

Listened to an interview with Tavu and Morgan of West Side Mafia. They are a more modern three person faction with the other member being Nazareno (Ash Rubinsky from IWA and WWC under a hood) from Puerto Rico. Morgan is Mr. 450/Hammett/Mecha Wolf/Mecha Wolf 450's younger brother.

Tavu mentioned him and Mecha Wolf would do spots in school and they were always getting in trouble over it. To raise money to pay for wrestling school, they would put on hoods and do high spots at intersections for people passing by.

They were both trained by Invader #3 Johnny Rivera (no, not the Bruiser Brody incident Invader. This Invader actually had a tremendous reputation) (Mecha Wolf was also trained by him). The school's ring was bricks, a layer of wood and a rug. The fee was $10 a week and they would train on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. There were weeks they couldn't pay, but Invader #3 would still let them attend and he would tell them they would have to sit out that day but after a bit he would let them join. It was a small group, but eventually the group grew and even vets. who had already worked for WWC and IWA would come in to train, teach and help the trainees. They created a bond together and they would all travel together to shows and most of them (may have been all of them) got tattoos of Invader #3's mask. 

They split up after a few years in the business. Tavu worked smaller shows and Morgan got picked up by WWC and he was added to the Jr. heavyweight division and of course that run killed his passion for the business and he quit after getting jobbed out endlessly. Mecha Wolf was the only one who stayed in the business and he got to do a number of tours including Japan where he worked in All Japan and tours of Mexico where he's worked everywhere from indys to CMLL and even making appearances in NXT and 205 Live.

Mecha Wolf eventually convinced Morgan to make a return and Morgan convinced Tavu they should make another run and they began working smaller shows and 100% Lucha and they are still active. 100% Lucha closed down, but they weren't traditional Puerto Rican wrestling. It was more US indy Ring of Honor influenced highspot influenced wrestling. Before signing with WWE, they booked Lince Dorado vs. Mecha Wolf and it's their most famous match for those of you curious.

4 hours ago, Six String Orchestra said:

Should have smashed a light tube filled with pink powder over Moxley's head, right?

Well, if they really want to get Kenny Omega over as a heel, they should have done a vignette where Omega blindsinds Mox with the V-Trigger knee at home or while he was walking down the street, stands over Mox while he's down and drops a pair of pink baby booties on Mox's prone body, then screams "It's a girl!!!".

Ruining gender reveal = nuclear heel heat.  Thank god Russo and Bischoff didn't know that.  We would have gotten pregnancy storylines with Flair four times a year in late 90's WCW.

Edit: I just reminded myself of the awful David Flair-Stacy Keibler "Who's the daddy?" angle, which I had someone managed to block out of my memory.  Ugh.

Edited by Eoae
To share the horror.
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Log said:

Roux Rollins?  Is it pronounced Row?  Row Rollins?

Like Roo, I assume.

Now why they named their child after a mixture of equal parts flour and fat that's heated and used as a base for sauces or stews is anyone's guess.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2