DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2020 WRESTLING TALK.

31 minutes ago, Nineteen said:

How can people keep bringing up Dark Side of the Ring without talking about the New Jack episode?

"Jack I can't feel my legs..."

Vice just got added to our cable package about six weeks ago, so I watched all of season 1 and 2 over the course of about four days (long weekend).  Really dug almost all of it.  I wish Cornette had been more of a presence in season 2.  There are lots of valid complaints about him as a person, but there aren't many people more qualified to talk about wrestling history and, in a setting like that, he comes across as knowledgeable and articulate.  I suspect it's a combination of being tightly focused on one topic, being able to edit out his off-topic rants and bile, and being outside the wrestling bubble in a a professional setting where he's not surrounded by people who are going to nod while he spouts his craziness.  

Is there any particular reason he wasn't in season 2 much?

Between drugs, sloppiness, and apparently not really giving a damn, it's fortunate Jack didn't murder anyone in the ring.

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Thanks for mentioning IWTV, @Curt McGirt.  Does anyone in the know on the indy side know what a wrestling promotion makes from IWTV on a per-show basis?  I ask because I'm kind of shocked that indies came back when there's no damn way companies like BLP can make enough money to cover their overhead with diminished capacity and, at the same time, I kind of can't believe that IWTV can cover that difference.

In the meantime, PWG does DVD only, and Highspots a year later, because it gives them more booking flexibility.  And they had to cancel their March show and thus have had no shows at all in 2020. 

All I know is the promotions get paid based on amount of views, like youtube. Not sure what that money is like or how much  iwtv is making. It's a cool thing though. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

And Rusev, Zack Ryder, Heath Slater.

I think the mass exodus of the COVID Releases/Furloughs definitely ranks up there when it comes to the annual future-endavoring, the last one this monumental was when JTG finally got the hook.

Edited by The Green Meanie

3 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

I think the mass exodus of the COVID Releases/Furloughs definitely ranks up there when it comes to the annual future-endavoring, the last one this monumental was when RTG finally got the hook.

RTG? Right To Grenade?

17 hours ago, matt925 said:

New Japan selling 70k tickets over two nights at wrestle kingdom ends up helping them a lot during the pandemic. 

Feels like a completely different time period being Pre Covid but that was the real WrestleMania this year for me. I don't remember the last time I was so invested in a PPV or in this case 2 PPV than WK. I didn't over analyze the booking going in or think about who was gonna be Champ at the end of the weekend I watched as if I was completely unfamiliar with New Japan even though I've been Subscribed to New Japan World for a year and a half and I've been keeping up closely enough. When it was over I was insisted In watching more that just the big shows then Covid happened. Although I havent missed a WWE PPV since I got the Network in Late April, I can't remember the last a PPV had me feeling excited about the next big show. Even the Takeovers they always deliver but I never feel like I gotta watch the weekly show 

• Like 2

I love the response by the "WCW version 2" creator saying stuff like well we have 50% of the copyrights.    I am pretty sure it doesn't work that way.  I can't tell if people are excited on Twitter are in on the joke or actually think this is mildly serious.  I am definitely sure that the WCW owner is in on the joke. 

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I liked Sheik's Twitter so much more before his handlers clearly started tweeting for him. 

I liked Natural more when he wasn’t the hogan_bot that went from always responding to posts about Hogan to just randomly posting the same “I have strong opinions about former WWF/WCW/WWE Champion Terry Bollea which you should PM me about. But I wanted to express them here too because I can't help myself” for literally no reason. 

I know times can be slow and this year sucks and yea Fuck Hulk but just meh. 

Yeah, man, I'm not even sure why that prompted a post on Natural in the first place.  He's an awesome dude and if absolutely necessary just ignore him or address it via PM.

Oh, and to add to stuff going on this year I think one of the cooler things to happen here is the pandemic has caused folks to do threads reviewing all types of things.  From Dolfan reviewing every Wrestlemania (braver man than I) to Matt reviewing All Japan there's been some neat things to come out of it.  And Secret Santo has been a pretty fun one to follow as well.  I don't know if these topics will be needed after the pandemic's done with but I'm glad to see them around.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Certainly things like SpeakingOut or the moves towards unionization are probably more important in a general sense, but from an in-ring perspective, I don't think there's anything that could possibly approach the liberation of decades of footage (300+ matches spanning almost forty years including basically everything that was aired over multiple years of this span) of French footage. It would have been if we had gone from having access to only ten pre-2000 Japanese matches ever to having hundreds. Plus, for instance, we've picked up over 35 new matches from 1957. I'm not 100% sure we had 35 full matches in 1957 from the entire world in before this footage was liberated. The fact that everything is of such high quality and that most of these matches could stand to anything in 2020 easily is almost beside the fact. From an in-ring standpoint, nothing else is even in the same stratosphere.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2