DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2020 WRESTLING TALK.

So wrestling year in review:

Coronavirus does a number on the entire world.

Some of the best wrestling documentaries ever made came out. Undertaker: The Last Ride, Edge: The Second Mountain, Dark Side of the Ring: Benoit and Dark Side of the Ring: The Last Days of Owen Hart.

The Undertaker had his last match at WrestleMania XXXVI in the Boneyard match vs. AJ Styles.

The Undertaker announced his retirement in Undertaker: The Last Ride. Undertaker had his final farewell at Survivor Series. 30 years exactly to the date he debuted for the WWF as The Undertaker.

Vince McMahon going for Twitch and Cameo money of the talent. Said it before and will again...tell Vince McMahon to fuck off and unionize.

Rhea Ripley stupidly lost the NXT Women's Championship to Charlotte Flair at WrestleMania XXXVI.

WWE started using and overused cinematic matches.

Edge returned after nine years retired due to his neck in the 2020 Royal Rumble match.

We lost the best ring announcer ever, Howard Finkel.

We also lost Shad Gaspard, Hana Kimura, Road Warrior Animal, Tracy Smothers and Mark Rocco.

Roman Reigns turned heel, he's the hottest act in WWE as the Tribal Chief and the Head of the Table.

Becky Lynch vacated the WWE RAW Women's Championship announcing her pregnancy.

Jushin Thunder Liger retired.

Tetsuya Naito became the first to hold the IWGP Heavyweight and Intercontinental Championship belts at Wrestle Kingdom 14.

The Speaking Out movement.

Two MOTYC in the same week from AEW: Kenny Omega vs. PAC in a 30 minute Iron Man match on Dynamite and Omega/Hangman Page vs. The Young Bucks at Revolution 2020.

AEW introduced a secondary championship, The TNT Championship.

Eddie Kingston's impact on AEW deservedly getting him a contract.

What have I missed?

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Some of the best wrestling documentaries ever made came out. Undertaker: The Last Ride, Edge: The Second Mountain, Dark Side of the Ring: Benoit and Dark Side of the Ring: The Last Days of Owen Hart.

What have I missed?

The brilliance that was the Herb Abrams episodes of DSOTR.
Sammy Guevara repeatedly being chased by vehicles.
Le Dinner Debonair.
The rise (and possible fall) of the #SpeakingOut movement.

Edited by The Green Meanie
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

What have I missed?

FTR vs the Young Bucks happened.

Sami Zayn finally won a main roster WWE title. 

Drew McIntyre got his coronation. 

Tessa Blanchard won the Impact World Championship and got dragged for some dumb shit she did and fucked off to Mexico and didn't come back to drop the title. 

Brodie Lee finally got his WWE release.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sabremike said:

The release of the most great wrestling/mma books in a single year (Andre, Shamrock, JR, Bucks, WON 1997, the Mania 3 book by @Liam) just to name ones off the top of my head.

Cheers for the shout out. Most also co-sign on the Andre and the 1997 WON books as really good reads. Own Shamrock but not yet got around to reading it.

Edited by Liam
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

The release of the most great wrestling/mma books in a single year (Andre, Shamrock, JR, Bucks, WON 1997, the Mania 3 book by @Liam) just to name ones off the top of my head.

1 hour ago, Liam said:

Cheers for the shout out. Most also co-sign on the Andre and the 1997 WON books as really good reads. Own Shamrock but not yet got around to reading it.

I would like to pick up the 1997 Wrestling Observer Year in Review book as 1997 is my favourite year in wrestling history. Like to pick up the Brian Pillman book at some point also. That's by our very own, @Liam, right?

Edited by The Natural

30 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I would like to pick up the 1997 Wrestling Observer Year in Review book as 1997 is my favourite year in wrestling history. Like to pick up the Brian Pillman book at some point also. That's by our very own, @Liam, right?

Different Liam. very good book though.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention the Sasha Banks/Bayley pairing becoming the Golden Role Models. Bayley was WWE Smackdown Women's Champion for a year while holding the WWE Women's Tag Team Championship with Banks who went on to hold the WWE RAW Women's Championship at the same time. Highlight of WWE programming this year with Roman Reigns and Daniel Bryan, the GOAT.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

EVIL became the second person to hold the IWGP and IC title, winning the New Japan Cup over Okada and defeating Naito for the titles in back to back nights.

YOSHI-HASHI finally won a title!

Kota Ibushi won back to back G1 Climaxes and has now gone to the Finals 3 times in a row. 

The G1 Climax 1/4 brief case was lost for the first time. 

Wrestle-1 shut down and a lot of their talent has gone to AJPW. Shotaro Ashino, Kumo Arashi and Koji Doi are guys i wish I had heard about sooner. 

WWE's house show schedule was halted and will never return to the 4 nights a week they were doing.

WWE held the greatest wrestling match ever at Backlash. It was okay. 

The ROH Pure title is back and the tournament to crown the new champion was really good.

In ring I felt it was actually a excellent year. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for mentioning IWTV, @Curt McGirt.  Does anyone in the know on the indy side know what a wrestling promotion makes from IWTV on a per-show basis?  I ask because I'm kind of shocked that indies came back when there's no damn way companies like BLP can make enough money to cover their overhead with diminished capacity and, at the same time, I kind of can't believe that IWTV can cover that difference.

In the meantime, PWG does DVD only, and Highspots a year later, because it gives them more booking flexibility.  And they had to cancel their March show and thus have had no shows at all in 2020. 

• Like 1

Jon Moxley went through perhaps the best rogues gallery in a single year, that I can think of, for a top babyface of a major American promotion in the past 20 years.

Cobb, Jericho, Hager, Lee, Cage, Archer, MJF, Kingston

With maybe the MJF match being the only miss. 

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 2

Since his return in 2012 I think this is the longest we've gone without a Brock Lesnar match. I can't see him returning until there are 100% capacity crowds. 

AEW announced a video game(s!) so there is finally competition for WWE 2K, much needed after the last bug ridden mess.

Kento Miyahara tied the record for most Triple Crown defenses in a reign.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Jon Moxley went through perhaps the best rogues gallery in a single year, that I can think of, for a top babyface of a major American promotion in the past 20 years.

Cobb, Jericho, Hager, Lee, Cage, Archer, MJF, Kingston

With maybe the MJF match being the only miss. 

When I start that "shit AEW did that we all forgot about" thread, bringing in Jeff Cobb for a show or two as the Inner Circle's hired gun absolutely makes the list.

• Like 4

Daisuke Ikeda and Yuki Ishikawa take their ongoing Bati-Bati rivalry to Germany and beat the heck out of each other even though they are 50+ years old.

And I know it's cool to hate on the evil empire because KNOWING Vince (makes my blood boil thinking about him! ?) and all that...

Bryan's incredible run this year with an absolute classic against Gulak at Elimination Chamber, plus other very good matches against Bray Wyatt, AJ Styles and Sami Zayn.

WALTER and Ilja put on one of the stiffest matches in WWE history in the UK.

Edited by Edwin