DVDVR Message Board

Raw is The Sledgehammer of Plot - 11/30/2020

Dolfan in NYC

With apologies to @CRZ I honestly cannot remember if it was him or Netcop who came up with "Sledgehammer of Plot" quip when it came to WWE.  As it was, this whole episode was them foreshadowing every turn that's coming in the next two months.  

Also, I didn't think I could be any more pissed with how badly Mia Yim's call up has gone but then...  

• Like 2

Random thought: The Fiend is essentially like the Road Warriors (Pretty much killed any babyface they worked with) except nowhere close to them as a draw.

Orton and Wyatt playing hot potato with Alexa was something. It's a story that I understand but don't get, if that makes sense. I still don't see how Joker Bray and Alexa Quinn are faces. But I like like how Orton connected how both he and Bray have voices in their heads.

Jeff Hardy smacking his head against the stairs was terrifying. He and his brother have no regard for their lives.

Miz TV needs to stop. I can't remember the last time it was entertaining.

Lana has zero chemistry with Nia. They both goofed on that spot with Nia going through the ropes, yikes. However, Lana does have chemistry with Shayna. Their sequence was good IMO. Lana is a strong seller, I appreciate that she continued to limp on the ankle Shayna stomped after the match. 

Alexander vs Woods was the best match on the show for me. Really good stuff.

Styles vs Lee vs Riddle was also strong. They need to drop the backstage stuff with Riddle, though. The stoner thing can only go so far. Lashley vs Riddle should be solid from an in-ring perspective, though I get no joy in seeing Riddle on my TV.

Good touch on having Dana Brooke confront Retribution after being attacked, but yikes on that match with Reckoning. The mask coming off was the cherry on the dirt sundae.

They're clearly spinning their wheels with the women's division until Charlotte returns. Alexa is the only woman with direction, and she's doing nearly 100% character work with the men.

Main event was--fine. The finish didn't work. Bad delivery. I thought McIntyre's promo was corny and cliché. And can he bump and sell better for most guys' finishers? He took the Skull Crushing finale worse than he does the RKO.

A C-level show for me. 

Edited by Burgundy LaRue
  • Like 1

Why was Elias's pinfall stopped when Jeff placed his hand on the ring ropes in a falls counts anywhere match, yet when Jeff pushed the guard rail while pinning Elias outside the ring the pinfall count continued? The rules are confusing.

Edited by aloniv

Nia is the drizzling shits, and she is *mostly* at fault for that botched spot which is overused anyway.

So was Mia-Yim's mask supposed to fall of. I mean...it was always ridiculous that we are somehow not supposed to know who Retribution are, but the fact that the commentary team completely no sold it.....ffs.

I actually hope they don't make Io the 4th Team Shotzi member and give it to one of the Retribution women.

13 hours ago, Peck said:

If you’re going to carve multiple guitar picks in to someone else’s forehead then there better be fucking blood. 

I thought it was a cool spot. But they need to be metal guitar pics. He could have used some as a tribute to Eddie Van Halen. Sadly the WWE would have stopped everything if there was in even a trickle of blood. I did get a good laugh from R-Truth hiding in the piano. God, I wish they would kill that 24/7 title all ready. They need a Sid Vicious type to be champion. He doesn't run. You know where to find him. Come try if you dare.

Rest of the show was all right. I really felt bad for Mia Yim though. They make her wrestle in this bootleg Hanibal lecter mask and then it falls off. Same thing with Shane Thorn...err Slapjack (for the life of me I thought Dio Madden was Slapjack). Why the hell is he wrestling in a hockey mask? Why was Ricochet punching him in the face with said mask on? Has Slapjack ever used a slapjack? Suckas gots to know.

I came to a conclusion about Alexa Bliss last night. She would be an amazing actress in Hollywood. I was getting young Jamie Lee Curtis vibes from her last night. She would make a killing in a horror franchise.  I could care less about Orton vs. The Fiend though. It's really amazing how they made The Fiend into just another guy on the roster. Oh here he is. Orton should have left the WWE when his contract was up. There's literally nothing left for him to do here.

The Triple threat was fun. Drew/AJ should be a good match. Any of the three would have been a good match.

Hopefully Riddle vs. Lashley will be good a US Title feud. Riddle vs. The entire Hurt Business should be good.  The stoner babble stuff has to be something to make Vince laugh. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

Jackie Gayda's debut wasn't even this bad

I have to wonder, though, if this is as much a Developmental problem as anything else, that Jax and Lana were either unable or unwilling to think of how to improvise a more organic way to get back on track instead of just doubling down on the missed cue and going through with it anyway and shattering kayfabe on the way down.

The Orton/Fiend segment was ok.

Jeff/Elias was fucking scary at the end with that swanton leaving the back of Jeff's head landing on the stairs. I'm at a point where I mostly just wish Jeff can retire breathing and able to walk with the amount of dumb shit he is willing to do to himself still this late in the game.

Jax/Shayna vs. Asuka/Lana was alright outside of that horrible botch. That was just embarrassing for everyone involved. At the same time I'm not sure how they could have adapted to get where they were planning to go in the next spot, at least not main roster tv which I'm sure is a bit more set in what they want to happen. 

Dana/Yim was short, but nice while it lasted. Loved seeing Dana so fired up. Not super bothered by Yim losing. Her current gimmick is terrible, and I have never viewed her as great or anything as far as talents go. I only feel for her having to continue this shitty gimmick with such a worthless mask.

Cedric/Woods was pretty damn good. Loved how fired up Cedric was from beginning to end with Woods not trailing too far behind by the end. I assume Hurt Business vs. New Day ends up a TLC, but I'd much rather just see them get a 2/3 falls match with this exact intensity.

Everything building p Sheamus/Drew vs. Miz/Morrison was ok I guess. Honestly, Miz with the briefcase is just not interesting at the moment. They have regressed him too much as a character this past year being back with Morrison. I enjoy the two at times, but its nothing that makes me want to see either guy main eventing. The tease for a Sheamus turn is being pushed so hard that I actually want them to pull a swerve and not do it. Just have to two beat the shit out of each other in the eventual title match but remain good friends. I continue to dig AJ with Omos. The two have a good dynamic, and Omos carries himself well in general. The man could never actually wrestle on tv, and he still will have been a good investment in the end.

I loved Maffew's taken on the following:

"- I love the backhanded insult of booking Lana as a useless, crying loser to make her relatable to fans.

- Riddle doing stoner promos but they can't say he's a stoner so everyone's treating him like he's Mitch Hedburg instead.

- Nia Jax running out the ring for no reason."
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Jackie Gayda's debut wasn't even this bad

I have to wonder, though, if this is as much a Developmental problem as anything else, that Jax and Lana were either unable or unwilling to think of how to improvise a more organic way to get back on track instead of just doubling down on the missed cue and going through with it anyway and shattering kayfabe on the way down.

I was just thinking about how just about every Samoan currently are the best thing about the business today from Reigns to Jacob Fatu to Samoa Joe being a far superior commentator in the WWE paradigm to Jey Uso and then you got Nia Jax. I be patient with her but man I can't defend her. I hate to be one of those guys but if she wasn't Rocks cousin she'd been cut already. She needs to go back to beginners class

Edited by Ziggy
  • Like 1

I'm liking the Drew and Sheamus duo. A babyface champion with friends on the roster may be a revolutionary idea for WWE but it was one of the things that made seem Hogan likeable, especially at the beginning of his run. I could dig Sheamus being the loyal, ass kicking best buddy for an extended period.  They better not pull a nonsense turn in 3 weeks. 

3 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

I loved Maffew's taken on the following:

"- I love the backhanded insult of booking Lana as a useless, crying loser to make her relatable to fans.

Yeah, I have no idea how this is supposed to work.  I keep expecting her to win matches through flukey "opponent slips on a banana peel" type finishes and they won't even give her that much,  She's presented as completely inept against fair competition, to the point she looks grateful and relieved when someone like Asuka steps in to protect her.  Oh, and she seems to be fighting back tears a  lot.  Ugh.

The spot they've done several times lately where her tag partner starts to whomp on the heels, only for Lana to tag herself in and immediately get her ass kicked sure is something,

On that topic, how was end of the women's tag match not a dq?  Shayna gets Lana in a submission, Lana looks ready to give up, so Asuka runs in and clocks Shayna hard enough to not only break up the pin, but give Lana time to roll on Shayna and get the three count.  All of this in full view of the referee.  I mean, that's basically begging for a dq.  

Edited by Eoae

53 minutes ago, Eoae said:

On that topic, how was end of the women's tag match not a dq?  Shayna gets Lana in a submission, Lana looks ready to give up, so Asuka runs in and clocks Shayna hard enough to not only break up the pin, but give Lana time to roll on Shayna and get the three count.  All of this in full view of the referee.  I mean, that's basically begging for a dq.  

Uhm, breaking a pinfall is not dq worthy. Want to say even in WWE's official rule at least one breakup is allowed. In most tag matches everywhere no fucks are given as long as the partner is out before the five count.