DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

Random Christmas Bounty (aka best Christmas movie since Die Hard) thoughts:

-The Bell family have to be the genetically unlikely family in movie history. Like, the parents are white. And the daughter is quite obviously Hispanic. At no point did this problem apparently come up in the casting process.

-I couldn't tell if everyone was just doing a bad New Jersey accent or were, in fact, parodying bad new Jersey accents. Probably the former.

-It's never a good sign when a wrestler is the best actor in the movie.

-Miz's character has a black leather jacket and dresses in black all the time. This is supposed to make him look like a bad ass but instead he just comes off as an extra from Grease.

-It occured to me half way through they were basically re-making Casablanca here. Only with Bounty Hunters, pro wrestlers and a Christmas theme.

-"Tori, I love you!" "Don't you mean 'loved', past tense?" "I mean, past, present and always." Miz and Francia deserve Emmys solely for saying this dialogue with a straight face.

-Tori's boyfriend James' occupation seems to be that of a shady, ultra-rich 1%er executive who buys struggling companies, closes them down and sells off the assets for profit. Despite this, he's presented as a really, really nice guy.  

-At first, Tori didn't think she could put up with Mike's hectic, rebellious lifestyle, but then he says he's taking evening classes and is sorting his life out. Besides James didn't really love her for who she was. So, she gets back with Mike. Awwwwww! (Also, I think she was just worried about sticking with James then getting jail time for being an accomplice in his financial-related crimes somewhere down the line).

-the all-cast dance skit at the end is horrifically bad.

Per the observer, David Benoit, along with Cody Hall, is trying to get into the New Japan dojo. His ultimate goal is WWE.

One thing (only thing?) working in his favor is that he's, like, 6'2.

the one time when the WWE disconnecting a guy from his family name is undoubtedly best for business. If they think they could employ him at all

Judging by the pictures of him, he's getting a hillbilly gimmick.

http://www.pwmania.com/chris-benoits-son-training-to-be-a-pro-wrestler-photos-of-david-benoit-two-stars

He has a good story that could be used to get him over. Someone trying to redeem his family name and overcome the sins of his father. 

This isn't exactly "Zack Gowan had cancer" or "Eddie Guerrero was a drug addict and wants to redeem himself" underdog type of story. This is a situation so fucked up WWE still edit Benoit out of DVDs and refuse to even utter his name on air.

And say they did decide to bring in David and mention his dad...do think the same people behind Katie Vick and Eddiesploitation could handle that storyline with even a modicum of class and grace? Of course not. We'd get promos where Randy Orton made mean-spirited jokes towards him while Triple H cut promos about how Benoit was innocent and he was, in fact, the one behind the murders.

• Like 2

Per the observer, David Benoit, along with Cody Hall, is trying to get into the New Japan dojo. His ultimate goal is WWE.

One thing (only thing?) working in his favor is that he's, like, 6'2.

the one time when the WWE disconnecting a guy from his family name is undoubtedly best for business. If they think they could employ him at all

Judging by the pictures of him, he's getting a hillbilly gimmick.

http://www.pwmania.com/chris-benoits-son-training-to-be-a-pro-wrestler-photos-of-david-benoit-two-stars

He has a good story that could be used to get him over. Someone trying to redeem his family name and overcome the sins of his father. 

This isn't exactly "Zack Gowan had cancer" or "Eddie Guerrero was a drug addict and wants to redeem himself" underdog type of story. This is a situation so fucked up WWE still edit Benoit out of DVDs and refuse to even utter his name on air.

And say they did decide to bring in David and mention his dad...do think the same people behind Katie Vick and Eddiesploitation could handle that storyline with even a modicum of class and grace? Of course not. We'd get promos where Randy Orton made mean-spirited jokes towards him while Triple H cut promos about how Benoit was innocent and he was, in fact, the one behind the murders.

They don't really have the teeth to do stuff like that. They would give him a big push, then bury him, then push him, it doesn't take and he becomes the newest member of 4MB. 

In any case I don't think the kid should alter his ambitions because it makes you feel icky. 

In any case I don't think the kid should alter his ambitions because it makes you feel icky.

Should David consider altering his ambitions because of what a few message posters say? No.

Should David consider altering his ambitions because no major company would hire him and, even if they did, he'd have to deal with constant crap about his dad every day of his career? Yes, I think so.

Should David consider altering his ambitions because of what a few message posters say? No.

Should David consider altering his ambitions because no major company would hire him and, even if they did, he'd have to deal with constant crap about his dad every day of his career? Yes, I think so.

Why should he change because of a few assholes would treat him? I doubt anyone in the business would give him a hard time about his father. 

And when you say no major company, you mean WWE. He can still make a comfortable living wrestling in Japan. You act as if he has not considered all the possibilities.

Why should he change because of a few assholes would treat him? I doubt anyone in the business would give him a hard time about his father. 

And when you say no major company, you mean WWE. He can still make a comfortable living wrestling in Japan. You act as if he has not considered all the possibilities.

Plus, the big problem with David's career is that even if WWE did blackball him because of his father- WWE can't win the argument. The media would complain if David Benoit got hired- but at the same time, the media who would complain loudest about his hiring tend to be the sections of the media that are already biased against WWE and would complain for any reason, be it "hiring David Benoit", "running a big PPV event", or "it's a slow news day and I have 1500 words to fill." 

People are saying "WWE shouldn't sign David because Phil Mushnick/his ilk will complain!"- as if it wouldn't be just as easy for that ilk to write a column saying "David Benoit is a innocent young man who just wants to live his dream and be a wrestler, but the heartless WWE cares so little for the surviving family of Chris Benoit that they've dropped the survivors and won't even dignify him with a tryout!" as it would to be "WWE signed the son of the murderer Chris Benoit!"

Is this really that hard to grasp?

People aren't saying "WWE shouldn't sign David because Phil Mushnick/his ilk will complain."

People are saying "WWE won't sign David because they don't want anything in their product which in any way brings to mind what his dad did."

Signing David Benoit and calling him "David Jones" doesn't fucking solve that problem.

• Like 1

Would people complain loudly if WWE didn't hire David?

Lots of wrestlers don't get signed by WWE. In fact, the overwhelming majority don't.   

What people don't seem to get here: A WWE contract is not a God-given right. Tons of guys don't get signed through no fault of their own. Maybe they're too short. Maybe Vince doesn't think they have charisma. Maybe they don't look like bodybuilders. Maybe a female wrestler isn't seen as hot enough.

David's reason might be different from most, but still.

Yeah, its not his fault that his wrestling career is tainted forever because of what his old man did. But it's not WWE's either.  

After reading on Deadspin about the Le"Veon Bell non-touchdown and seeing mention of the fencing response, I was wondering if anyone could recall a wrestler selling a move that was supposed to have resulted in a possible concussion by mimicking the fencing response. Would that be too fine of a detail that should be avoided because most people wouldn't know about it and it would look weird to some people and take them out of the moment?