DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

Wikipedia lists his full name as Wesley David Richards. I say he should use the name Wesley Wilkins.

Wikipedia also says Edwards was trained by Killer Kowalski. I wonder if that gives him some benefit with HHH. Would it surprise anyone if two years from now Edwards is on the main roster and Richards is not employed by WWE?

Sandow, Tensai, and Fandango are also listed as being trained by Kowalski. What other notable indy wrestlers passed through his school in its last couple of years?

John Walters was trained by Killer Kowalski.

I'm not crapping on the Lawler feud. From a storyline perspecting it was entetaining. However it did Miz no favors as far as establishing him as a big time player. How can you be expected to take on the Cenas of the world when you can barely finish off a 60 year old retired wrestler?

The only decisive victory i recall Miz having was a long tv match against John Morrison.

Think about how pathetic Orton looked Monday night allowing Maddox to show some fight. Now imagine if that went on for almost two months.

My problem with Miz's run is that I felt ripped off that Wade Barrett should've gotten his title reign. Three years later' Barrett is tapping like a bitch to the Miz.

Poor Wade. People bitch about Wrestler X being depushed. None has gotten a worst 'huge main event push only to get push off a cliff' thingy than him.

Wade showed nothing whatsoever that he deserved a title reign

I'm not crapping on the Lawler feud. From a storyline perspecting it was entetaining. However it did Miz no favors as far as establishing him as a big time player. How can you be expected to take on the Cenas of the world when you can barely finish off a 60 year old retired wrestler?

The only decisive victory i recall Miz having was a long tv match against John Morrison.

Think about how pathetic Orton looked Monday night allowing Maddox to show some fight. Now imagine if that went on for almost two months.

Well, that's why you give him a bodyguard who does all the heavy lifting. That's the guy you should get over. If Dolph Ziggler should have had a decent heel title reign where he gets killed by everyone and owes all his victories to Big E, who would eventually turn face against him and destroy him.

John Cahill (Davey) and Eric Philbin (Eddie)

These are the sorts of names you make up on the spot and mumble out when you don't want to give someone your real name.  All the WWE's fake names of late have been this way.  There has to be one single person making these up, because most people would come up with something better (note, for instance, that nearly every indy worker's fake name is a thousand times better than the WWE's generi-wrestler names).  So who is it?  Triple H?  Stephanie?  Whoever their lead writer is?  I doubt Vince cares about coming up with names for jobbers these days.

Yeah, you are right.

Dean Ambrose is a lot worse than Jon Moxley.

Seth Rollins is a lot worse than Tyler Black.

CM Punk is a lot worse than CM Punk.

Daniel Bryan is a lot worse than Bryan Danielson.

Antonio Cesaro is a lot worse than Claudo Castagnoli.

Luke Harper is a lot worse than Brodie Lee.

Yeah, I don't see it.

• Like 1

Antonio Cesaro is the best name in years.

Well, I agree now. 18 months ago I didn't. Let's hope that the C-Section catches on, I loved that sign on RAW.

But honestly a name doesn't matter. We were all shitting on Dolph Ziggler, remember?

Are people seriously retroactively hating on the Lawler/Miz stuff? Former great trying to prove he still has it against a mouthy young upstart is a tremendous story archetype. Shit, NOAH was basically built around it for the last five years of Misawa's life. Every Clint Eastwood movie since 1992 has been a variation on this theme. I also don't buy at all that the feud with Lawler devalued the title. Miz was very clearly a heel transitional champ, even from the very beginning. If you felt when Miz won the belt that it was a changing of the guard, you were probably upset with the Lawler mini feud. If you realized a head of time that Miz was destined to lose to Cena, it was good TV and a pleasant surprise that he made it all the way to Wrestlemania.

Also, that promo he cut where he was walking backstage and talking about how JBL bullied him and no one believed in him was money and doesn't get mentioned enough as one of the better promos in the past few years.

That is more or less what killed the Miz. He was a clear transitional champ yet somehow held the title for 6+ months and main evented WM. Basically WWE overreached Miz's actual level of talent/presence and killed him dead by putting him in the middle of a feud with two stars much bigger than he could ever be. The crowd wasn't buying it and eventually WWE gave up on him. Awesome Truth was his last chance for glory and WWE made the same mistake by placing him and Killings in the middle of a feud between Rock and Cena. Honestly I think if WWE hadn't overreached Miz would a least be at Del Rio level in and out of the main event.

John Cahill (Davey) and Eric Philbin (Eddie)

These are the sorts of names you make up on the spot and mumble out when you don't want to give someone your real name. All the WWE's fake names of late have been this way. There has to be one single person making these up, because most people would come up with something better (note, for instance, that nearly every indy worker's fake name is a thousand times better than the WWE's generi-wrestler names). So who is it? Triple H? Stephanie? Whoever their lead writer is? I doubt Vince cares about coming up with names for jobbers these days.

Yeah, you are right.

Dean Ambrose is a lot worse than Jon Moxley.

Seth Rollins is a lot worse than Tyler Black.

CM Punk is a lot worse than CM Punk.

Daniel Bryan is a lot worse than Bryan Danielson.

Antonio Cesaro is a lot worse than Claudo Castagnoli.

Luke Harper is a lot worse than Brodie Lee.

Yeah, I don't see it.

Antonio Cesaro isn't a bad ring name, but when your given name is Claudio Castagnoli, nothing else will come close to sounding that good.

I personally like Tyler Black better than Seth Rollins as a name, although Rollins makes me think of Henry Rollins, which gets points w/ this Black Flag/Rollins Band fan.

I prefer Jon Moxley over Dean Ambrose. The name Dean Ambrose just strikes me as like your high school history teacher. Take everything about Ambrose's character and combine it w/ the name Jon Moxley and he's that much more wonderfully sleazy.

I could think of sleazier names that could suit Ambrose.

Their formula appears to be something from pop culture but like ten or more years after relevance and a really unthreatening name with it. Seth Rollins is the perfect storm. Heath Slater too.

I can't wait for Gaylord Swayze or Keanu Fuchs to make his debut

Are people seriously retroactively hating on the Lawler/Miz stuff? Former great trying to prove he still has it against a mouthy young upstart is a tremendous story archetype. Shit, NOAH was basically built around it for the last five years of Misawa's life. Every Clint Eastwood movie since 1992 has been a variation on this theme. I also don't buy at all that the feud with Lawler devalued the title. Miz was very clearly a heel transitional champ, even from the very beginning. If you felt when Miz won the belt that it was a changing of the guard, you were probably upset with the Lawler mini feud. If you realized a head of time that Miz was destined to lose to Cena, it was good TV and a pleasant surprise that he made it all the way to Wrestlemania.

Also, that promo he cut where he was walking backstage and talking about how JBL bullied him and no one believed in him was money and doesn't get mentioned enough as one of the better promos in the past few years.

That is more or less what killed the Miz. He was a clear transitional champ yet somehow held the title for 6+ months and main evented WM. Basically WWE overreached Miz's actual level of talent/presence and killed him dead by putting him in the middle of a feud with two stars much bigger than he could ever be. The crowd wasn't buying it and eventually WWE gave up on him. Awesome Truth was his last chance for glory and WWE made the same mistake by placing him and Killings in the middle of a feud between Rock and Cena. Honestly I think if WWE hadn't overreached Miz would a least be at Del Rio level in and out of the main event.

I guess the difference for us is that I thought it sort of added to the story Miz was so clearly outclassed by Rock and Cena. I mean, he should be, but he got some shine by being the only person who thought he had a shot. I don't really agree that his reign has anything to do with how he has been handled since. He came out of the reign looking pretty strong, and if he hadn't undergone such major character changes, I think he could have easily gone back to being a strong heel gatekeeper like he was for Bryan during the US Title feud. I don't really feel like Miz ever had as high a ceiling as you seem to. I think he pretty much plateaued as a worker around this point as well. The past few years, the main eventers have all surpassed Miz as a worker. I will say it's pretty clear that the dude is a company man and like wrestling quite a bit, so it would not surprise me if he got a thank you reign with the world title at some point. It seems as though they have finally turned him back in to a cocky douchebag again.

People saying Wade Barrett showed them nothing are forgetting about the series of matches he had with Orton just before his elbow injury. He seemed to be ready to take te next step and was awesome in the ring.

Not to mention he's better on the stick than most of the roster. He's a talented guy. If Cena would have stayed retired for more than eight hours...  I think Wade would have been fine. He could have talked shit about putting Cena out for months. Instead Cena comes back and kills all of Nexus and they all had to be rebuilt.

• Like 1