DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

Speaking of Indy guys and NXT

With Hero getting let go and Xavier Woods debuting last night - who has been in NXT/development the longest?

I feel like it has to be one of the women as it seems like I have heard Paige and Emma's names attached to NXT forever but I feel like there is someone on the men's side I am forgetting.

And I know this might have been covered in the NXT thread but I am now avoiding that thread as I am trying to avoid spoilers as much as possible.

Connor O'Brian.

Has he been there consecutively?

I know he was on one of the NXT seasons and then I just suffered through him redebuting but I was wondering if it was a case where they let him go and then someone decided to bring him back and do something different with him

EDIT - Nevermind Z answered it.

And Dallas got that weird mini run around Rumble time so at least he got to be on a PPV

Some highlights from JR's latest blog post

Some translations from diplomatic "I might get hired back again one day" language into real-talk:

Is Randy Orton a fan favorite or a villain? One can't be both, as a rule....but, of course, I'm out of touch with today's product.

I think that I may have missed the class on the invisible line between good and evil. In real life that may be true but last I looked pro wrestling on TV isn't real life.

"Good going, Hunter. Start off the show with no one the audience roots for, and nearly accidentally turn Brad Maddox face for no damned reason."

Congrats to Big E Langston for becoming the IC Champion. I wish Big E nothing but success. The former Iowa Hawkeye Defensive Tackle is a beast of an athlete with great integrity. One can't get too many like him in any locker room. I got to know "E" well in NXT. Fans have loved him there for a long time at Full Sail Arena.

Hopefully many of today's impatient fans will allow Big E to continue to evolve as he's not even close to reaching his potential.

"Please don't have him putting over the Miz just because he doesn't pop ratings quarters."

Thought the Big Show vs. Ryback match was surprisingly good.

"Holy shit. Ryback didn't absolutely suck. I'm astounded."

By the time this match had ended, I had seen enough clotheslines during the first three matches to last me the balance of the three hours that I stayed tuned.

"'Power guys' are only impressive if they don't make up half the roster."

If the Real Americans can get on a true roll, they would help WWE overall and the tag team scene in general.

"Push Cesaro for fuck's sake."

Miz is a better TV wrestling villain than a hero.

"No one likes the Miz."

Ziggler vs. Sandow in their Broadway Brawl turned into anything but and was essentially a comedy segment based on the soundtrack.

"You suck, Hunter."

Great seeing Xavier Woods get a shot on RAW. Another really high quality student athlete who's close to getting his PHD. Really an engaging young man to be around with tons of charisma. I'm hopeful that his tenure will be productive in WWE as he is a great representative for the company on many fronts. It's admirable that Woods has continued his education the past few years while still competing and attempting to earn a roster spot in WWE while residing in NXT. Dr. Woods is a great promo talent if allowed to use large aspects of himself in his TV persona.  

"He'll be in the TNA championship picture within 6 months."

Many unique personas got quality exposure in the final several minutes of RAW. It will be interesting to see of the newer guys in the 12 man tag who breaks from the pack and makes their mark in WWE main events.

"I could have skipped everything but the 12-man and not have missed much."

• Like 2

It's obvious that Daniel Bryan and CM Punk are 'over' and could be even more viable and productive quite easily.

"Putting them in the midcard is the act of a complete moron."

Good to see Rey Mysterio back and hopefully healthy or at least healthy enough to be able to be himself and perform to the level that his fans expect. WWE can really use Rey's star power and name identity.

"Rey, don't do anything you don't have to. The company's desperate, and at this point you're barely more mobile than I am."

Hard to believe that this was the final RAW prior to the Survivor Series and that another WWE PPV comes our way this Sunday from Boston.

"Another fucking pay-per-view already?"

• Like 3

Pretty sure JR knocking the "soundtrack" of the Street Fight is him shitting on the commentary for laughing all the way through the match & turning into a match that didn't mean anything, as they joked around instead of treating it like a brutal match. The exact same thing that I bitched about.

• Like 1

Didn't realize that yesterday was the one year mark from their debut. Hopefully the rumour of them being split up after WrestleMania isn't true. Now that I think about it, wasn't there someone here who did compilation dvd's that was a mix of TV/PPV's?

http://www.wwe.com/inside/shield-debut-survivor-series-2012-ambrose-reigns-rollins-one-year-anniversary

There are hundreds upon hundreds of "indy workers" out there that deserve a break into something higher profile: WWE, Japan, Mexico, whatever. The fact is that most guys never get a look or a break.

WWE just keeps going back to the ROH well... because that is easy. Plus, some of those guys (Punk, Danielson, etc) have a built in fanbase that can help them get over quick. That is something a guy busting his ass working indy shows in Michigan doesn't have.

• Like 1

There are hundreds upon hundreds of "indy workers" out there that deserve a break into something higher profile: WWE, Japan, Mexico, whatever. The fact is that most guys never get a look or a break.

WWE just keeps going back to the ROH well... because that is easy. Plus, some of those guys (Punk, Danielson, etc) have a built in fanbase that can help them get over quick. That is something a guy busting his ass working indy shows in Michigan doesn't have.

There's something to be said for a weeding out process, tho.

Danielson worked my home promotion for nearly the entirety of 2001.  During that time, he was the second-or-third best worker in the promotion.  The best guy was called Chance Beckett, who most notably had a big standout in the Super 8 tournament in 2003, I think.  After that, he got some bookings in RoH, but for whatever reason (probably family), he couldn't/didn't take them.  He was (is?) a terrific worker who is calm and collected in the ring, knows his limits, makes his opponents look terrific, and has great charisma, but if he couldn't make RoH commitments, he probably wasn't going to be a WWE star, even if he is better than, say, Jinder Mahal.

Can't find the old Chikara thread, but has anyone else see the Chikara videos that have popped up recently? The Ashes series and there is a new BDK video as well

Here is a link to the current vids on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpVSQCpT4yQ&list=PL5_xjH4qL9RqD7BNjH4SKesR73akUG9gc

Been following all of the Ashes videos, where is the new BDK one?!

The guy busting his ass in MI should send their shit to WWE then.

And hopefully he's not 5'7", 170lbs. doing Superkicks & Shooting Stars.

There's something to be said for a weeding out process, tho.

Danielson worked my home promotion for nearly the entirety of 2001. During that time, he was the second-or-third best worker in the promotion. The best guy was called Chance Beckett, who most notably had a big standout in the Super 8 tournament in 2003, I think. After that, he got some bookings in RoH, but for whatever reason (probably family), he couldn't/didn't take them. He was (is?) a terrific worker who is calm and collected in the ring, knows his limits, makes his opponents look terrific, and has great charisma, but if he couldn't make RoH commitments, he probably wasn't going to be a WWE star, even if he is better than, say, Jinder Mahal.

I am 100% behind a getting process, don't get me wrong. There are tons of guys out there that want to be big time tv wrestlers, but don't want to travel... And that is impossible to work for most major groups.

At the same time "send stuff to WWE" is kinda shortsighted. It would be like if the NFL only scouted the SEC, and anyone playing ball in another conference was just told to send stuff in to get looked at.