DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

Imagine what WWE has traditionally thought of southern fans(whether accurate or not in the beliefs) and then think of what they do if they had to make an entire show "Country" now. It will be either a hilarious trainwreck of stereotypes and the return of Hillbilly Jim as Bryan's long lost uncle or just a bunch of sanitized lame jokes with a random appearance by Honky Tonk Man even though it makes no sense.

The In Your House's were $15-$20 for a 2 hour show, and to this day, some of those shows are still among the lowest buyrates the company ever had.  Just because you're charging $20 for a $50 show, doesn't guarantee that 2 and a half times the people are going to now suddenly buy it.  If anything, you're risking people not even buying those shows because they know the important stuff will be saved for the more expensive shows.

As long as WWE PPVs remain profitable, they'll keep charging $50-$60 a pop.

I anticipate the "country" theme for RAW tonight to be excruciatingly embarrassing & stereotypically insulting. I have no idea who this is supposed to appeal to in 2013, with WWE being a worldwide company that is publicly traded.

I really hope that Punk and Bryan are in the main event tonight so when the inevitably terrible ratings come out, we get to hear about how this was a conspiracy by HHH to prove Bryan and Punk aren't draws.

A lightbulb just went on over HHH's head.

For those of you in Kentucky, a light bulb is like a tiny sun, enclosed in glass.

...I'll show myself out.

• Like 8

I think the comparison with music is fair. I was downloading a tonne of music on napster and other such things when the price of CDs was through the roof. The music companies thought they could charge what they want and then "waah we're not getting our money! Why are they getting it for free?"

But then it became easy and not overly expensive to download a CD or individual track legally. If they're willing to play ball and not be stubborn about it, I'm interested. Currently I refuse to buy a PPV. I will get the rumble if the guys are over, even then I'm paying for the event but they're getting beer and food.

Vince is stubborn. As long as there's one rube buying his PPV he'll say "look, people are buying it!"

It was CM Punk day on the WTF podcast. No real new information for long time fans, but I thought he came off well. It's been interesting and great to hear wrestlers on podcasts with people/hosts who aren't "wrestling people." Sure wrestlers have done radio interviews for years, but those never went into the depths that podcasts can do. I've enjoyed Marc Maron's conversations and interviews with wrestlers. I know Colt Cabana was on (Didn't they do an episode of each other's podcast?) and think Foley was on too, he's been on so many.

It was fun hearing the couple Adam Pierce and Chris Masters stories he told on the show.  

I anticipate the "country" theme for RAW tonight to be excruciatingly embarrassing & stereotypically insulting. I have no idea who this is supposed to appeal to in 2013, with WWE being a worldwide company that is publicly traded.

I really hope that Punk and Bryan are in the main event tonight so when the inevitably terrible ratings come out, we get to hear about how this was a conspiracy by HHH to prove Bryan and Punk aren't draws.

A lightbulb just went on over HHH's head.

For those of you in Kentucky, a light bulb is like a tiny sun, enclosed in glass.

...I'll show myself out.

Sorcery!

You might, but would more people REALLY pay whatever lowered price for the PPVs if they're already getting them for free?

Not everybody. But I do believe there are a lot of people out there who download music (or in this case, wrestling) for free who would pay a reasonable fee. Now what "reasonable" is could very much be up for debate. I might pay $30 for a B level PPV.  The trick is to find that price point that people are willing to pay where the lower prices balance out with the number of people ordering.

But getting back to the whole BOGO or whatever; I thought for a while WWE could try a "season pass" type of thing where for, let's say $600, you get every PPV from 'Mania until Elimination Chamber the following year. That's a nice discount and would encourage more people to watch more PPVs to get their moneys worth. More eyes on stuffing instead of potatoes = more money long term.

IN Canada for a couple of years, you could do a package deal for the Rumble, The Feb PPV and Wrestlemania for a discounted price, but it's been a few years since I saw something like that

If for some reason Cena actually was gone for six months with no hope of a miracle recovery, I'd like to see how screwed up it gets by week 2. Because regardless of what you believe is the reason for their problems, they have problems and they will continue to get worse. I do not care what happens in most of these feuds, titles means nothing, the matches mean nothing and in an hour will be a "country-themed" Raw. Given the usual level of humor I expect from WWE I can expect my DVR to be on FF most of the night. The rumor is Road Dogg will perform. Whoopee. I do not care and I will not waste my time and my money on this garbage.

I expect for WM30 right now, to do the indie powers explode match and Cena-Orton. Really do not want to shuck over $70 for that right now.

• Like 1

I think the CD comparison misses an important point.  With the rise of the digital age, there has been a significant divide between two types of mediums: pre-produced and live entertainment.  Pre-produced entertainment (like CDs) has taken a massive hit and, in many areas, has gone away (CDs are holding onto the edge of the cliff with one finger at this point).  Live entertainment (sports, concerts) has done fine.

A major component of a WWE (or wrestling in general) PPV is that it is a live event where important story events happen.  I distinctly remember the promise of important-things-will-happen at each PPV in the Attitude Era being fulfilled, and I happily watched each one live.  Nothing important happens at WWE PPVs these days.  Orton cashing in on Bryan with Trips turning heel is the most significant thing to happen lately, and that was four shows ago.  Just going by that timeframe to now, that puts it at a 25% chance of anything significant happening (where I define significant as something happening in the storylines with more impact and consequences than what happens on any given RAW).

As for what price point I would pay for PPVs, it certainly isn't $50-60.  I could go to a major band's concert in person for that money every month instead.  I could get great seats six times a year for that much.  I could watch every live indy wrestling event in my city for that price.  It's just an absurdly high price for the product they're putting out.  I would do $30 if I were splitting it with a friend or $20 if I were watching alone.

I liked the idea of them putting the PPVs on the network, and charging $20 a month for the network. I would definitely pay $20 a month for that and whatever else they put on the network. I think they could get close to 10% of the RAW audience to pay for the network this way.