DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

Which is easier said than done.  Vince isn't about to get rid of Orton or Cena.

I wasn't suggesting getting rid of them - they can help build new people up. There's people in the midcard who could probably go. The "reality" show clouds the waters as to whether the Divas are a necessary part of the show.

I think WWE missed the chance to push a new face when they put Big Show in the role he's in now. I don't mean that another guy (whoever it might have been) would have become a superstar and the new face of the company, but it would be a fleshed-out role in a fleshed-out angle to put an erstwhile unknown/bland face in. I think a good angle is more important than a good character when you're introducing someone or pushing someone. Even if you have a cool gimmick, if you show up on Raw without an angle, you're just... there. Without any reason. Put any mid-carder with a little bit of charisma in Big Show's role and see where it goes. It might not have worked out, but at least you'd have a fresh face in there with the potential that he might grow into his role and become more established.

Even though both have had longer tenures in the WWE than Steve Austin or The Rock by now, it still seems crazy to me that John Cena and Randy Orton are now the grizzled veterans of the WWE.

Am I alone in this?

Sure, there are plenty of Zack Ryders and Curt Hawkinses and Hornswoggles that can be let go, but how does that impact the main event?

By freeing up roster spots that could go to people who MIGHT make the man event. I'm not saying they will, but they could. Zack Ryder and Curt Hawkins aren't going to make the main event, guaranteed.

The real problem, though, is the booking. As much as people complain about Super Cena, the reason he's the biggest star in WWE (among full-timers, at least)  is because he rarely loses.  Vince can pretend wins and losses don't matter all he wants, but they do.

I had a discussion with someone not long ago about the WWE Development Center, and it made me think; is the 'E seriously thinking about setting up a more extensive network of developmental groups so they don't even need to rely on indie stars or people from other promotions in general?  If they were to implement a baseball-like system, I don't see that helping the wrestling business at all as the WWE old-timers die out/retire and the indies dry up because they can't access anyone other than NXT washouts.  It would be a case of the WWE becoming the wrestling business, and the wrestling business becoming the WWE.  That can't be good.

• Like 1

Hopefully, after Roman Reigns turns babyface & beats up The Shield & starts his solo push, he can turn into a Batista-level talent in terms of overness. I see a lot of potential in that dude. That would be a fresh face at the top.

Granted it's a wait-and-see kind of thing, as I'm not sure he can fly solo either in ring or when having to talk but he has a lot of physical charisma about him that makes you want to watch him. It looks like they've started the slow burn of the split already with little things.

Hell, firing some of those mid-card jobbers could free up more money that you could throw at Batista himself to come back for awhile. His return would be fresh for a few months, if nothing else.

Sheamus & Mark Henry will both be back soon too.

None of these names are "new" but they're people that haven't been around in awhile so they can at least makes the damn cards different.

I don't see a lot of people on the roster that could become something at the top, honestly. In NXT either. Cesaro, maybe? But he can't promo. Big E? Jury is still out. Brodus could be a One Man Gang style monster for awhile to give Cena someone to topple on PPV I guess. Maybe Leo Kruger...but that's all gimmick as he's still greener than goose shit.

Just not a lot going on up top now or in the foreseeable future. Cena, Orton, Triple H, Big Show & Del Rio. Probably a returning Sheamus, Henry. Around 'Mania time Taker & probably Brock. Nothing new.

I don't see a lot of people on the roster that could become something at the top, honestly. In NXT either. Cesaro, maybe? But he can't promo. Big E? Jury is still out. Brodus could be a One Man Gang style monster for awhile to give Cena someone to topple on PPV I guess. Maybe Leo Kruger...but that's all gimmick as he's still greener than goose shit.

Don't forget that Mason Ryan is still around somewhere!

• Like 1

When The Shield splits up, you instantly have three guys with a lot of potential: Roman Reigns as a sort of Batista/American Badass, Seth Rollins could perhaps work in a sort of early Shawn Michaels-like role, and Dean Ambrose is a perfect heel. When Mark Henry and (especially) Sheamus return, you have two relatively fresh faces as well. Cesaro, I think, could get over based on his ring work alone. Big E could definitely make it because he's entertaining on the mic, but I don't know how good he'd be as a heel. There's just something wholly likable about him. Of course, that's not really a problem because I feel WWE especially lacks good faces you can get behind. Although I don't think Cody Rhodes is superstar material, perhaps with a good enough angle that he can grow into, he can be a good upper-level underdog. He can certainly play that role. Wade Barrett is also on the verge of coming back, I believe, although I really can't see him as a face. He's a perfect heel.

Where's Justin Gabriel, by the way? I remember liking him quite a lot in FCW when he was the champion. He had some fun in-ring stuff and he played the 'fiery underdog' really well.

In NXT, you have Alexander Rusev who could work both face and heel. Going by those NXT 'Behind the Scenes' tapes, he's got a sense of humour and his English is good enough to get by. And he's easily believable to become a monster heel in an instant. His theatrics could turn him into a sort of Umaga-type monster heel. Kassius Ohno also definitely has the potential to make it, but I thought he was in the dog house, so who knows what happens to him. And Mojo Rawley has potential. He cut a surprisingly good promo in NXT, although he'll need a bit of a gimmick change for people to take him serious, I believe. And there's Sami Zayn, of course.

I had a discussion with someone not long ago about the WWE Development Center, and it made me think; is the 'E seriously thinking about setting up a more extensive network of developmental groups so they don't even need to rely on indie stars or people from other promotions in general? If they were to implement a baseball-like system, I don't see that helping the wrestling business at all as the WWE old-timers die out/retire and the indies dry up because they can't access anyone other than NXT washouts. It would be a case of the WWE becoming the wrestling business, and the wrestling business becoming the WWE. That can't be good.

It is mostly already like that. A vast majority of people that watch wrestling, only watch or care about WWE. They may not even know things like TNA/ROH/NXT exist. Then you have the next tier of fans that pay attention to WWE 95% of the time, and then maybe TNA or something else on occasion. Some of these folks may be aware there is an "OVW" or something that WWE wrestlers train at before being on tv. Then you have the smarter fans that pay attention to all this stuff and know all about NXT, the performence center, etc. This is the group of fans that just might think about paying to go to an indy or non-WWE event. Most people have no fn clue where WWE gets their sports entertainers from, and don't care. When I would meet someone and they would find out I wrestled, one of the first questions was always "Are you going to go 'pro' one day and be in the WWE?". I think most folks realize you don't just decide to be a wrestler one day, and then call up the WWE and have a job - but most people have no clue indy wrestling even exists. It isn't like baseball or hockey where there are thriving minor leagues where people can inexpensively watch developing athletes. To most people, the WWE already is wrestling.

What's Davey Richards need a bag for? Isn't he just in his gear at all times in case someone at Starbuck's disrespects his soy latte?

Nah, I think he's the guy complaining about the lack of almond milk, who then proceeds to tell you all about his paleo diet adventures, and how soy is full of phytoestrogens that are the reason you're a skinnyfat barista, and not a prime physical specimen, like himself. Pretty sure he's that guy.

Hmm. Do I want guys learning in the WWE developmental center or by being the guy who carries Davey Richards' bags?

As the guy who openly admits that he gave up on Indy wrestling once Davey Richards became its flag bearer, I am kinda worried there won't even BE indies in ten years.

As long as there's a place where BINGO is not presently being played.

As long as there's a fat tub of goo in camo shorts, a cut up Megadeth shirt, and a desire to tell kids in the front row to know their roles and shut their mouths.

As long as there's another fat tub of goo who has a desire to watch grown men roll around on a mat while chanting "Show Your Tits!" at women.

There will always be indie wrestling.

• Like 8

Which of course is why people ask Kurt Angle why he doesn't wrestle anymore.

I worked at the hotel where the TNA wrestlers stayed in Philly for the 2009 Lockdown, and I saw a LOT of the old-timers get asked exactly that question.The only one I actually spoke to directly was Booker T, and I think he was relieved I didn't ask him that.