DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

I think most of them look at a WWE run as a nice "cap" to their career.  Kinda like "hey, I've done all I can do here, it'd be nice to work for Vince just to say I did it".  I mean, that's what Ultimo's run amounted to.  He wanted to work at MSG and at Wrestlemania, and that was it.

They don't know how to push someone who can't cut a promo, either.  I'm sure Muta would have been over with them, since he had an existing fanbase.  Bring over a Tanahashi, Okada or even a Kojima, and don't fucking change how they work, and they would get over.  No, they won't be main event guys, but present them as legit threats, and leave the tired racist shit they always do out of it, and they will get over as legit threats.

Because they never get over.

Tajiri wasn't over? Could've fooled me.

People were clamoring to see him face Austin, RVD, Angle, Rock and Taker? He got over relative to his position.

I also doubt bland, personality-less MOVEZ drones are going to get over in an era full of bland, personality-less MOVEZ drones.

If you ask your typical Japanese wrestler they'll admit that they would love if they were signed by the WWE. Kenta Kobashi has admitted that he wish he had a Mr. Fuji gimmick, and worked for Vince.

Lol, no he didn't. Way to warp that story. Kobashi thought he should work an evil Japanese/ Fuji style deal when ROH brought him in for the Joe match in NYC, because he thought that was what the American crowd expected. Joe and Gabe had to insist to him that the ROH crowd wanted him as himself.

Because they never get over.

Tajiri wasn't over? Could've fooled me.

People were clamoring to see him face Austin, RVD, Angle, Rock and Taker? He got over relative to his position.

I also doubt bland, personality-less MOVEZ drones are going to get over in an era full of bland, personality-less MOVEZ drones.

You're doing an awful lot of generalizing here.

So, I'm watching NXT today and the crowd is going bananers for a simple, smartly-worked little Sami Zayn-Adrian Neville match, even chanting 'NXT!' (a la E-C-dub) and I thought "Man, there is this great fanbase here and they're just so into it, why hasn't someone started a fed down here in Florida and used this crowd just starving for good wrestling (reminds me a little of ECW's fans) and try to build themselves up a little bit, maybe not to ECW's level but at least elevate themselves above the average shitty indie fed" and I sat there and watched for five minutes or so and went "Oh yeah I guess there is wrestling in Florida",  And THAT is how big of an impact (Ha!) TNA has made on your average wrestling fan.

• Like 2

Phantom Lord being pro-WWE signing Benoit's kid is less surprising than Daniel Bryan winning March Madness. I'd love to see the internal conflict in him that would arise if WEE did sign him, but it turned out he was a Khali/Nathan Jones level talent.

I'm not pro anything. I just think the kid if he wants to give it a serious go as a wrestler should be allowed to. Truth be told, I've only watched a handful of Chris's matches since the whole thing happened.

I still say they would have saved his entire run if they had just called him The Prince of Perfection.

He'd probably be the face of the WWE by now.

That's not what's best for business.

I wasn't aware you could read the future. Who knows what kind of wrestler David Benoit will be in a few years or longer? Who are you to say they wouldn't sign him because of his last name and a man he apparently didn't have much to do with to start? This is all kind of presumptuous, that's been my point this entire time.

Saying they'd be reluctant to sign him because of his last name is not some weird, far-fetched theory

If he were just some guy named "Benoit", with no relation to Chris, WWE would be reluctant to sign him because of his last name. Chris' actual son will never work for WWE.

If the WWE Network ever gets approved, what do you all think about them cancelling Raw and Smackdown, and going with new programming?

They're both tired and cliched formats, and think it would present a good opportunity to rehash the presentation, maybe even slow the pace down?

I see the point in keeping the RAW name - longest running show, blah blah blah, but think that there may be benefits to it..

Are there a ton of super charismatic Japanese workers that don't rely on dropping each other on the neck? Are they more or less popular today than the 90's guys were then?

KENTA is more of a boots to faces guy than a headdropper. His size actually works in his favour in that regard, he's not a big enough guy to believably throw about most of the people he's worked with. Wouldn't say he's super charismatic though, unless he's up against Takayama in which case he seems to get turned up to 11. Any time those two got together he looked like a major star. Clearly he's less popular than the wrestlers of the '90s, but then again wrestling as a whole is less popular than it was in the '90s. Would he get over if put in front of a US audience? Yeah, with the right opponent I'm pretty sure he would.

It would be pretty awesome watching KENTA try hard for a month before pouting and sleepwalking his way through random matches against Kofi Kingston and the Miz.

I think someone should tell Morishima to put back on all the weight he lost and he can come in as a Japanese Wyatt. Just like my theory that Luke Harper is the illegitimate spawn of Kerry Von Erich from a one night tryst with an evil

Swamp witch, Morishima could be Terry Gordy's son raised in secret by his evil Japanese ghost mom.

He would get introduced when someone goes looking for the Wyatts and touches an abandoned Winnebago up on blocks on their property. that is how you summon him.

• Like 1