DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

In any case I don't think the kid should alter his ambitions because it makes you feel icky.

Should David consider altering his ambitions because of what a few message posters say? No.

Should David consider altering his ambitions because no major company would hire him and, even if they did, he'd have to deal with constant crap about his dad every day of his career? Yes, I think so.

Why should he change because of a few assholes would treat him? I doubt anyone in the business would give him a hard time about his father. 

And when you say no major company, you mean WWE. He can still make a comfortable living wrestling in Japan. You act as if he has not considered all the possibilities.

Plus, the big problem with David's career is that even if WWE did blackball him because of his father- WWE can't win the argument. The media would complain if David Benoit got hired- but at the same time, the media who would complain loudest about his hiring tend to be the sections of the media that are already biased against WWE and would complain for any reason, be it "hiring David Benoit", "running a big PPV event", or "it's a slow news day and I have 1500 words to fill." 

People are saying "WWE shouldn't sign David because Phil Mushnick/his ilk will complain!"- as if it wouldn't be just as easy for that ilk to write a column saying "David Benoit is a innocent young man who just wants to live his dream and be a wrestler, but the heartless WWE cares so little for the surviving family of Chris Benoit that they've dropped the survivors and won't even dignify him with a tryout!" as it would to be "WWE signed the son of the murderer Chris Benoit!"

Is this really that hard to grasp?

People aren't saying "WWE shouldn't sign David because Phil Mushnick/his ilk will complain."

People are saying "WWE won't sign David because they don't want anything in their product which in any way brings to mind what his dad did."

Signing David Benoit and calling him "David Jones" doesn't fucking solve that problem.

• Like 1

Would people complain loudly if WWE didn't hire David?

Lots of wrestlers don't get signed by WWE. In fact, the overwhelming majority don't.   

What people don't seem to get here: A WWE contract is not a God-given right. Tons of guys don't get signed through no fault of their own. Maybe they're too short. Maybe Vince doesn't think they have charisma. Maybe they don't look like bodybuilders. Maybe a female wrestler isn't seen as hot enough.

David's reason might be different from most, but still.

Yeah, its not his fault that his wrestling career is tainted forever because of what his old man did. But it's not WWE's either.  

After reading on Deadspin about the Le"Veon Bell non-touchdown and seeing mention of the fencing response, I was wondering if anyone could recall a wrestler selling a move that was supposed to have resulted in a possible concussion by mimicking the fencing response. Would that be too fine of a detail that should be avoided because most people wouldn't know about it and it would look weird to some people and take them out of the moment?

Oh come on. If second or third generation stars couldn't get shots at wrestling simply because of something their dad or granddad did then a lot of wrestlers wouldn't be wrestling right now.

Yes the name Benoit has an obvious negative context. But you know what, I'm all for the kid wrestling as David Benoit. He should be allowed to blossum and then be judged on his merits. Not what his crazed dad did one weekend in a haze of pills, booze, and depression. If he can become a good wrestler and reclaim his family name that would be one hell of a redemption story. Other sports would kill (no pun intended) for that sort of thing.

Oh come on. If second or third generation stars couldn't get shots at wrestling simply because of something their dad or granddad did then a lot of wrestlers wouldn't be wrestling right now.

Yes the name Benoit has an obvious negative context. But you know what, I'm all for the kid wrestling as David Benoit. He should be allowed to blossum and then be judged on his merits. Not what his crazed dad did one weekend in a haze of pills, booze, and depression. If he can become a good wrestler and reclaim his family name that would be one hell of a redemption story. Other sports would kill (no pun intended) for that sort of thing.

You don't know much about Chris Benoit, do you?

• Like 1

I dont think the WWE signing him would result in Phil Mushnicks of the world writing about it.

You would have Deadspin and Grantland and Real Sports discussing, which would lead to the Nancy graces and the View discussing it.

I doubt Vince and/or Linda want that kind of bad press.

Its not like hiring Vicki or Shaul Guerrero.

It wouldn't be a "complaint", it would be news.

WWE Hires Son of Former Wrestler, Murderer is a headline, and it's one that brings the Benoit story back front and center, and maybe prompts the discussion of just how much responsibility does WWE, both as Benoit's employer at the time and as the face of pro wrestling in this country, bear?

WWE Doesn't Hire Son of Former Wrestler, Murderer is not a headline, and garners no discussions outside of places like this.

• Like 1

But we know how this will work. The media will pick it up and then drop it after a couple of days, because there is nothing else to the story, except that they hired the son of Chris Benoit. And would this really be headline news? 

I don't see it ever being a story one way or the other. If they hired him, it would never be acknowledged at all. It might be a mainstream news story for like two days or so but nothing that would drudge back up the scandal.

On another note, I watched the last few JBL and Cole Shows (with Renee Young). Pretty funny stuff. I find it hilarious that basically for as much as they push the online stuff on TV, it exists in a completely different universe from the TV shows.

Would people complain loudly if WWE didn't hire David?

Lots of wrestlers don't get signed by WWE. In fact, the overwhelming majority don't.   

What people don't seem to get here: A WWE contract is not a God-given right. Tons of guys don't get signed through no fault of their own. Maybe they're too short. Maybe Vince doesn't think they have charisma. Maybe they don't look like bodybuilders. Maybe a female wrestler isn't seen as hot enough.

David's reason might be different from most, but still.

Yeah, its not his fault that his wrestling career is tainted forever because of what his old man did. But it's not WWE's either.

Pretty sure it is, especially the way WWE acts about Benoit.

I know enough. People are acting like that somehow if David Benoit were signed (which lets be honest he almost certainly wouldn't be) that it would somehow be glorifying what his father did. People are also over estimating the reaction of the media.

So Phil Muschnick would write a column about it. Big deal. I'm not even sure the New York Post knows he still works for them. He might get an interview on Piers Morgan or something out of it, but no one else in the media would really care. The WWE has done a pretty good job scrubbing Benoit from things. Only us old wrestling fans will even know who the hell he is in another five or even ten years if David Benoit even makes it that far along.

I know enough. .

No.

• Like 1

People aren't saying it would glorify anything. People are saying that a company that still pretends Chris Benoit never existed for fear of negative association is very, very unlikely to make a signing that will allow even a 24-48 hour news cycle that puts "former WWE star" and "double murder-suicide" in the same sound bite. They're the number one company in the world and have got more guys than they do roster spots at any given time anyway - it's not like they're starving for either media attention or warm bodies (bad phrasing, I know). Now, TNA, on the other hand, would welcome the attention...