DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

Claudio Cesaro could have been a name used if the pro-alliteration agents were still in power in the WWE

Random pondering: I wonder if the WWE takeover of WCW's tapes included the raw tapes of the Disney tapings (or if their tapes were only the TV versions of the shows). Just wondered that since there had to be some matches they cut off of those shows because someone quit, got fired, or the match was a total abortion.. so if they had the raw tapes of those matches (without commentary, obviously, as they'd clunk down the commentary sometime in the week before the weekend shows went out to the affiliates) then they could just get one of their generic announcer flacks to lay a commentary layer over the match and they can post it on YouTube or something random

[Offtopic note: the delay between finishing the commentary and the show only really stood out when i was watching a WCW Pro that was aired a day after Souled Out 1998, so they had to refer to the PPV in a past-tense in commentary taped before it aired.. which worked as well as you'd expect from an organization with such stellar long-term planning as WCW]

But yeah, the sheer amount of stuff they have in some form in that tape vault has to be completely freaking crazy

What stuck out to me about that Nexus angle is Barrett was getting booed out of the buildings. I can't remember the last time someone else was getting that kind of heat. He even got the crowd to get behind Cena. When does that happen?

Two moments that always stuck out were the DON'T GIVE UP chant when Barrett made Cena leave the ring and how some posted on the old board that their old ass grandmother wanted to whoop Wade's ass during that promo in which he called Cena pathetic.

These kind of organic (lame word, I know) are what I think is missing in wrestling the most.

What promo was it when some little kid yelled out "NEVER GIVE UP" and Cena responded with "damn right"? It seems like it's the same promo. Maybe the Old School RAW with Piper's Pit featuring Orton, Barrett & Cena?

• Like 1

In a new interview with Chad Dukes, Cody Rhodes noted that he paid to have the white Intercontinental Title, currently held by Big E Langston, brought back.

"You have no idea how difficult that was to get the IC Title, the white IC Title, which Big E Langston is now our new Intercontinental Champion and that was such a cool thing for him, to see that and see it still around," said Rhodes. "It makes me feel happy because that was such a pain to get done. Not many people know this; I paid for the title to be recreated. I was refunded, heavily refunded, but I paid to show it to the man and say, "Listen, this will get a reaction, that you might not think it will and here's why," you know? And I'm very happy to see it still in existence."

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/...ercontinental/

Thank you, Cody Rhodes.

Maybe, one day:

WINGED+EAGLE+WWE+TITLE+EWSY.jpg

• Like 4

What names did they give Richards and Edwards for the tryout? i can't quite make out what the announcer said, but it wasn't their real names. John _________ and Eric Billman (?)

Merg Turdfuck

It's been done before, but who cares?

We gotta pick a week where all of us change our user names to one of the names listed in this video.

• Like 3

John Cahill (Davey) and Eric Philbin (Eddie)

These are the sorts of names you make up on the spot and mumble out when you don't want to give someone your real name.  All the WWE's fake names of late have been this way.  There has to be one single person making these up, because most people would come up with something better (note, for instance, that nearly every indy worker's fake name is a thousand times better than the WWE's generi-wrestler names).  So who is it?  Triple H?  Stephanie?  Whoever their lead writer is?  I doubt Vince cares about coming up with names for jobbers these days.

Yeah, you are right.

Dean Ambrose is a lot worse than Jon Moxley.

Seth Rollins is a lot worse than Tyler Black.

CM Punk is a lot worse than CM Punk.

Daniel Bryan is a lot worse than Bryan Danielson.

Antonio Cesaro is a lot worse than Claudo Castagnoli.

Luke Harper is a lot worse than Brodie Lee.

Yeah, I don't see it.

I like Jon Moxley, Tyler Black, Brodie Lee, and Claudio Castagnoli a lot better than the WWE counterparts, especially fucking Seth Rollins.  But this is only half of my point.  Wrestlers debut now with meaningless names.  I'm not saying a return to the days of Sparky Plugg and The Repo Man are in order, but we used to get characters like The Undertaker or people with monikers like "The Million Dollar Man."  Has any wrestler debuted (or re-debuted) since the Nexus invasion with something other than a generic name aside from the ill-fated Tensai and Ryback?  CM Punk doesn't fall into the [given name] [surname] thing (unless you know a lot of Mr/Ms Punks or people named CM), and even if it did, it's a reference to his personalty and tastes.  Two stars of years past, Rocky Maivia and Hunter Hearst Helmsley, drew on those names as a reference to his wrestling pedigree and as fitting with his blueblood gimmick respectively.  They then quickly evolved into the much more unique The Rock and Triple H.  This was all done because their real names would have been pretty boring in 90s WWF, although to my ear, Dwayne Johnson and Paul Levesque would fit in pretty well with the tights-and-taped-wrists NXT wrestlers.

And to the argument that a wrestler's indy name is no better than their repackaged WWE name, yes, it is.  Their indy name still carries the history of their indy work with it, as well as the mentality of working under that name.  To someone that doesn't follow indy wrestling, it's a pretty clear symbolic indication that the wrestler you're watching in WWE is performed by a guy that used to perform as someone else.  CM Punk is a character that started more than a decade ago.  Antonio Cesaro (a name I personally like just fine) is played by a guy who used to play a character named Claudio Castagnoli.

• Like 1

Is there a worse episode of wrestling TV than the 6-7-99 episode of Nitro?

I was there in Cleveland for that show. It helped to have the lucha match not be marred by the commentary.

The hummer angle was pretty wild when it happened that night. Of course, it turned into a huge "Whodunnit...Who Cares?" mess later.

Also, you folks at home missed the best part.

Scott Steiner got on the mic during a commercial break and said "You know, some things never change...Cleveland SUCKS!"

He got booed out of the building. It was great.

This guy was backstage at the NXT taping as well

batista.jpg

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

PLEASE!

PLEASE!

COME BACK!

[immediately begins playing his theme music on his iPhone]

Claudio Cesaro could have been a name used if the pro-alliteration agents were still in power in the WWE

I'm trying to figure if this is a joke on the pro-alliteration agents being really shitty at alliteration. :)

• Like 3

They need to look to the wrestling world for more of their names, instead of the hipster world. More guys called Dick, Buddy and The. Less Seths and Evans. Seth and Evan work in used book stores and listen to Arcade Fire. On vinyl.

WWE needs a Buzz.

The generic names would be fine if they had nicknames attached. On paper, Ric Flair, Jim Duggan, Jake Roberts, Ted Dibiase, and Shawn Michaels are all pretty Create-A-Wrestler-y. They just don't give guys memorable nicknames that make them sound like legit fighters anymore. Now we get "The Animal" and "The Apex Predator."

If someone told you to compile a list of the best matches that featured the Shield, what would you tell them?

vs. Daniel Bryan/Kane/Ryback, TLC PPV 2012.

vs. John Cena/Sheamus/Ryback, Elimination Chamber 2013.

vs. The Undertaker/Kane/Daniel Bryan. RAW, 22nd April 2013.

vs. Daniel Bryan, The Usos, Prime Time Players, Rob Van Dam, Dolph Ziggler, R-Truth, Kofi Kingston, Zack Ryder and Justin Gabriel. RAW, 23rd September 2013.

vs. Daniel Bryan/Goldust/Cody Rhodes/Big E. Langston. Smackdown, 25th October 2013.

My favourite with all three was The Undertaker/Kane/Daniel Bryan match. I'll also mention two Reigns/Rollins matches:

vs. Goldust/Cody Rhodes. Battleground, 6th October 2013.

vs. Goldust/Cody Rhodes vs. Seth Rollins/Roman Reigns. RAW, 14th October 2013.

Man I need to find those COdy/Goldust matches. They still aren't on YouTube outside of someone recording them with their phones.

But thanks Natural.

The most annoying thing on the internet is people recording TV on their phones and then uploading it to YouTube. It's why a pathogen that targets low IQs is essential for mankind.

• Like 4

Man I need to find those COdy/Goldust matches. They still aren't on YouTube outside of someone recording them with their phones.

But thanks Natural.

You're welcome. I preferred the first Reigns/Rollins vs. Cody/Goldust match at Battleground to the RAW match. Can't go wrong with either.

If someone told you to compile a list of the best matches that featured the Shield, what would you tell them?

I would say start with TLC from 2012, then watch all of 2013.

I want to see Batista return tonight. Take out The Big Show to help Randy Orton retain. Then take out Randy Orton. Win the Rumble. Take the title at 'Mania.

Book it!

/mark

• Like 1

But thanks Natural.

The most annoying thing on the internet is people recording TV on their phones and then uploading it to YouTube. It's why a pathogen that targets low IQs is essential for mankind.

A vague acquaintance of mine once said he knows a guy who is rumoured to simply download full shows, both the weekly shows and the Pay-Per-Views. It all sounds rather shady to me and I would personally never do such a thing, but in this day and age, I wouldn't be surprised. But, of course, what kind of sick, twisted, demented mind would do such a thing? It sends chills down my spine.

But thanks Natural.

And then putting a giant watermark on it. 

• Like 1