DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

Someone on the outside of a match (ref, valet, manager, announcer) is bound to try and make the match about themselves. Wrestling is 100% ego-driven. Hopefully you can train these people the right way (or the hard way), to remember their place...

Interesting. So for the most part, the outside folks you've worked with try to get themselves over and not the match?

• Like 1

Three years ago today, this happened:

angry-miz-girl.jpg

In retrospect, how does everyone view Miz's title reign? I do like the fact the he seemed genuniely happy to have won the title, and by all accounts represented the company very well during his time.

A waste of time that devalued the title. The only good that could have come from it was giving Lawler a one day reign and they did not do that. 

Someone on the outside of a match (ref, valet, manager, announcer) is bound to try and make the match about themselves. Wrestling is 100% ego-driven. Hopefully you can train these people the right way (or the hard way), to remember their place...

Tully Blanchard said he always kept a close eye on valets/managers because they would try to steal his heat. So he would do things like insist they never interfere directly. So he would do things like have them hand him a weapon. 

He said it was a constant struggle with Baby Doll at ringside.

Interesting. So for the most part, the outside folks you've worked with try to get themselves over and not the match?

That DOES happen alot, but it really depends on where you're working.  I've never really dealt with someone's ego getting in the way, but I've dealt with tons of inexperience, be it managers or refs.  That will frustrate you just as bad, because they miss basic stuff that you would think they learned in training.  Of course we've all dealt with bonehead refs with tons of experience too.

• Like 2

That DOES happen alot, but it really depends on where you're working.  I've never really dealt with someone's ego getting in the way, but I've dealt with tons of inexperience, be it managers or refs.  That will frustrate you just as bad, because they miss basic stuff that you would think they learned in training.  Of course we've all dealt with bonehead refs with tons of experience too.

Thanks for the insight! I love hearing about what actually goes into putting a match together so stuff like this is great reading for me.

I thought Axel was great in the match where he lost the title, just bumping around. Hopefully there's more of that, throw in some stalling and some old-school cheating to stop Big E building up a head of steam before the inevitable happens.

It'll probably just be a quick squash though.

I agree. I thought that was one of Axel's best matches, if not his best. He pulled out a lot of great heel mannerisms. I know he gets the "bland" tag but I think he's a pretty effective midcard heel.

indianexpress.com

Meet Rajesh, alias 'New Khali', from village Dhanora in Ambala district. The 7 feet 5 inch, father of two children who until one and a half years ago worked in the fields in his village, is now set to fly to Japan to take part in the World Wide Entertainment (WWE) training. The 39-year-old, with a towering presence, weighs 152 kg.

Rajesh, who trained for almost one and a half years under Randhir Asthir in Jalandhar, said, "Once my training in Japan is complete, I will hopefully be selected by WWE to enter their international championships."

Revealing his fitness mantra, Rajesh said that his daily diet includes 40 eggs, 5-6 kg chicken, 7 litres of milk, 6-7 kg fruits and more than 30 chappatis. "I have around 7-8 meals a day," he said, adding that he undergoes training for seven hours every day.

So this is all one well-planned build for Cena's Wrestlemania 31 opponent, right?

I find that it's best to use universal precautions and assume EVERYONE has chappatis.  OSHA, blood bourne pathogens and all that ...

Three years ago today, this happened:

angry-miz-girl.jpg

In retrospect, how does everyone view Miz's title reign? I do like the fact the he seemed genuniely happy to have won the title, and by all accounts represented the company very well during his time.

The MITB cash-in against Randy Orton on the post Survivor Series 2011 RAW was well done and we got that picture, the TLC match with Jerry Lawler on RAW, their match at Elimination Chamber 2011 PPV when Lawler should have won and Hate Me Now for The Miz's WrestleMania XXVII entrance. Miz's stock has so fallen since 2011.

John Cahill (Davey) and Eric Philbin (Eddie)

These are the sorts of names you make up on the spot and mumble out when you don't want to give someone your real name.  All the WWE's fake names of late have been this way.  There has to be one single person making these up, because most people would come up with something better (note, for instance, that nearly every indy worker's fake name is a thousand times better than the WWE's generi-wrestler names).  So who is it?  Triple H?  Stephanie?  Whoever their lead writer is?  I doubt Vince cares about coming up with names for jobbers these days.

Honestly, i think the problem with Survivor Series is that the appeal of the first few years is gone and never coming back. What made Survivor Series work was to see a bunch of WWF Wrestlers interact with each other outside of the usual very structured cards that we would get the rest of the year. Royal Rumble at least has the Wrestlemania stakes. Survivor Series doesn't have much of anything. We've had a year of multi-man man tags after all. 

This.  Survivor Series has basically become just another ppv and not an important one.  It has the misfortune of occurring during the holidays and barely two months before the Rumble, so the company is usually in "time filler" mode where a lot of the programs are simply designed to fill tv time or advance angles to the point they want them at when they begin to build proper for the Rumble and WrestleMainia.

Survivor Series was really only interesting for the multi-man elimination matches.  Without that, it's doesn't have much of an identity.  The early SS matches were frequently not good, but they were different and most teams had wacky names and teamed guys from different stables who didn't normally team together,  Mr. Perfect leading a team comprised of the three members of Demolition (instead of, say, three members of the Heenan Family)?  Sure.  Why not?

I remember how up in arms I was a few years ago when they talked about using a different name for the Nov. PPV. I think this was right before the Cena/Rock vs Awesome Truth tag match. Survivor Series was my favorite PPV as a kid and i always loved the elimination matches. Now, though, I can see why there's so little value. I still think if they did heels vs faces with winners in a final elimination match and have great Royal Rumble spots for the winners, that'd be a worthwhile use for it. IT'd make it matter more and actually bring Mania season all the way back to Nov.

• Like 1

Why is there still this much talk about Survivor Series losing its luster when the WWF substantially started minimizing the emphasis on elimination matches since 1992? That year they only had one elimination match and it was with a pairing of tag-teams.

Regarding Miz's title reign, it probably wouldn't be viewed so badly if it were not for 2 main factors, that being Miz's drastic fall from grace, and the fact that they actually put him in position to headline a Wrestlemania when he was simply not that guy.

Miz wasn't a terrible wrestler when he was on top, but the problem is he was a Upper Midcarder for life type of guy with no real reason to Main Eventing a major PPV, and certainly not Mania. I almost feel sorry for him because of how much confidence he lost in the aftermath, because nobody takes him seriously after that.

Tom Billington, who as the Dynamite Kid was one of the key men in popularizing junior heavyeight wrestling in Japan and Canada, recently suffered a stroke in the past few days. Billington has been living in England since his wrestling career ended early due to injuries from his daredevil style. We don't have more details on this at press time.

Credit: f4wonline.com

Shit. Strokes are nasty.

Regarding Miz's title reign, it probably wouldn't be viewed so badly if it were not for 2 main factors, that being Miz's drastic fall from grace, and the fact that they actually put him in position to headline a Wrestlemania when he was simply not that guy.

Miz wasn't a terrible wrestler when he was on top, but the problem is he was a Upper Midcarder for life type of guy with no real reason to Main Eventing a major PPV, and certainly not Mania. I almost feel sorry for him because of how much confidence he lost in the aftermath, because nobody takes him seriously after that.

The problem too was WWE pushing him up as a badass leading up to WM, and if there's one guy on the roster who doesn't scream badass, it's Miz.  I just remember these long beatdowns of John Cena where he was trying to be this worldbeater that just got zero reaction because I don't think anyone was buying it.

I can't get the QUOTE function to work, but RandomAct makes a good point: I used EGO because that's what I've been dealing with lately, but a lot of it IS just being green, etc. Sometimes you get wrapped up in the moment and you so want to shine that...yeah, you screw up and make it about you when it isn't supposed to be.

I had a guy who was helping me with getting sponsors, and was working as a heel manager. He was able to get some good heat...but then his ego got in the way. He cut a ringside promo he wasn't supposed to, post-match, and the two babyfaces his team beat (who themselves have some raging egos), gave him a baseball slide to the back when he wasn't looking and knocked him down hard; he came backstage looking for justice. I very curtly pointed out that justice had, in fact, already been dished out...and reminded him even more curtly that the show didn't revolve around him.

• Like 3

The problem too was WWE pushing him up as a badass leading up to WM, and if there's one guy on the roster who doesn't scream badass, it's Miz.  I just remember these long beatdowns of John Cena where he was trying to be this worldbeater that just got zero reaction because I don't think anyone was buying it.

He should have been a second rate Tully. Cena could have been Magnum.

I can't get the QUOTE function to work, but RandomAct makes a good point: I used EGO because that's what I've been dealing with lately, but a lot of it IS just being green, etc. Sometimes you get wrapped up in the moment and you so want to shine that...yeah, you screw up and make it about you when it isn't supposed to be.

I had a guy who was helping me with getting sponsors, and was working as a heel manager. He was able to get some good heat...but then his ego got in the way. He cut a ringside promo he wasn't supposed to, post-match, and the two babyfaces his team beat (who themselves have some raging egos), gave him a baseball slide to the back when he wasn't looking and knocked him down hard; he came backstage looking for justice. I very curtly pointed out that justice had, in fact, already been dished out...and reminded him even more curtly that the show didn't revolve around him.

Again, thanks for the insight. Very interesting that sometimes it's not so much guys wanting shine (which is what I what would've guessed would've been the biggest problem) and guys just not knowing what to do.

So I cannot sleep and I turned on Marc Maron's WTF podcast; chose the one with CM Punk. He makes an off-the-cuff remark about being "doped up" after his knee surgery and immediately being called afterwards by Vince: he's got Ryback in three weeks in a TLC. 

Now I ask this without an ounce of sarcasm, and not a hint of smug smarkiness: how do drugs used for surgery factor into the Straight Edge lifestyle?

Not to be too vague, but it basically depends. Straight edge, like any dogma, varies tremendously. Generally, the people I know draw the line at recreational drug use. If it's "mandatory" - i.e., required for surgery, disease treatment, etc. - you take what you need to, but for no longer than needed. Maybe it's worth noting that many straight edge kids tend towards veg*n diets, and abstain from out-of-committed-relationship sex. So it's not like Punk has a perfect score on his edge card anyway, if we're going by the most strict rules. 

That's why whenever he'd bring up being straight edge it's tough to take. Don't preach about a lifestyle that you don't actually adhere to.

John Cahill (Davey) and Eric Philbin (Eddie)

These are the sorts of names you make up on the spot and mumble out when you don't want to give someone your real name.  All the WWE's fake names of late have been this way.  There has to be one single person making these up, because most people would come up with something better (note, for instance, that nearly every indy worker's fake name is a thousand times better than the WWE's generi-wrestler names).  So who is it?  Triple H?  Stephanie?  Whoever their lead writer is?  I doubt Vince cares about coming up with names for jobbers these days.

Is Eddie Edwards and Davey Richards really less generic than John Cahill or Eric Philbin? You are just used to their current names, but if the situation was reversed we would be like "What kind of lame ass writer came up wtih Eddie Edwards and Davey Richards"

• Like 5

Is Eddie Edwards and Davey Richards really less generic than John Cahill or Eric Philbin? You are just used to their current names, but if the situation was reversed we would be like "What kind of lame ass writer came up wtih Eddie Edwards and Davey Richards"

"So, a portmanteau of Davey Boy Smith and Stevie Richards, and 'Eddie Edwards'? What, would it have been too obvious if they made his partner Davey Davidson?"