DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

On paper, this looks like the worst Survivor Series card of all-time. Big Show Vs. Randy Orton? John Cena Vs. Alberto Del Rio AGAIN. Punk/Bryan Vs. Rowan/Harper? ...UGH. Langston Vs. Axel rematch? Jesus... 7 on 7 Divas match!?!? Are you kidding me???

Cody Rhodes & Goldust, The Usos & Rey Mysterio vs. The Shield & The Real Americans is the only match with potential...and we've already seen The Rhodes Brothers & The Shield about six-hundred times.

Who the Hell would pay for this card?

• Like 3

On paper, this looks like the worst Survivor Series card of all-time. Big Show Vs. Randy Orton? John Cena Vs. Alberto Del Rio AGAIN. Punk/Bryan Vs. Rowan/Harper? ...UGH. Langston Vs. Axel rematch? Jesus... 7 on 7 Divas match!?!? Are you kidding me???

Cody Rhodes & Goldust, The Usos & Rey Mysterio vs. The Shield & The Real Americans is the only match with potential...and we've already seen The Rhodes Brothers & The Shield about six-hundred times.

Yeah that's way worse than four Doinks vs fucking Bastion Booger, Mr Hyperbole

• Like 8

Yeah that's way worse than four Doinks vs fucking Bastion Booger, Mr Hyperbole

The rest of 93 was pretty damn good, though.  Both on paper, and likely in execution.  The Doinks match, and the never ending Harts vs Knights match were the only duds.

indianexpress.com

Meet Rajesh, alias 'New Khali', from village Dhanora in Ambala district. The 7 feet 5 inch, father of two children who until one and a half years ago worked in the fields in his village, is now set to fly to Japan to take part in the World Wide Entertainment (WWE) training. The 39-year-old, with a towering presence, weighs 152 kg.

Rajesh, who trained for almost one and a half years under Randhir Asthir in Jalandhar, said, "Once my training in Japan is complete, I will hopefully be selected by WWE to enter their international championships."

Revealing his fitness mantra, Rajesh said that his daily diet includes 40 eggs, 5-6 kg chicken, 7 litres of milk, 6-7 kg fruits and more than 30 chappatis. "I have around 7-8 meals a day," he said, adding that he undergoes training for seven hours every day.

So this is all one well-planned build for Cena's Wrestlemania 31 opponent, right?

His feud with Lawler was the highlight of his entire reign IMO. That TLC match they had on Raw remains one of my favorite Raw matches in recent memory. I legit thought Lawler had a chance to win it while watching it.

• Like 1

His feud with Lawler was the highlight of his entire reign IMO. That TLC match they had on Raw remains one of my favorite Raw matches in recent memory. I legit thought Lawler had a chance to win it while watching it.

I think in part the reason it worked so well was that a lot of us believed that King could do it.

• Like 1

So I cannot sleep and I turned on Marc Maron's WTF podcast; chose the one with CM Punk. He makes an off-the-cuff remark about being "doped up" after his knee surgery and immediately being called afterwards by Vince: he's got Ryback in three weeks in a TLC. 

Now I ask this without an ounce of sarcasm, and not a hint of smug smarkiness: how do drugs used for surgery factor into the Straight Edge lifestyle?

So I cannot sleep and I turned on Marc Maron's WTF podcast; chose the one with CM Punk. He makes an off-the-cuff remark about being "doped up" after his knee surgery and immediately being called afterwards by Vince: he's got Ryback in three weeks in a TLC. 

Now I ask this without an ounce of sarcasm, and not a hint of smug smarkiness: how do drugs used for surgery factor into the Straight Edge lifestyle?

I'd imagine you'd get a pass for getting anesthesia and a pain killer or two to allow a doctor to slice into your kneecap.

This question is for Marty, Nikita and any other workers on the board. I posed this in the "What Are You Watching" thread but never heard back. I was watching the Flair dvd a couple of weeks ago and was watching the Flair/Race match. Kiniski was doing his damndest to ruin an awesome match. I get what they were going for in that he was an old school guy and wanted them to grapple or whatever instead of bashing each other into the cage (at least that's how Gordon Solie sold it, he could've just been covering up for Kiniski) but it was so intrusive. I feel like Flair and Race must've wanted to legit go off on him at some point because he was really detracting from the match. Have any of you guys ever experienced anything like that? Where a ref or maybe a manager/valet kept getting in the way of what you were trying to do?

Not to be too vague, but it basically depends. Straight edge, like any dogma, varies tremendously. Generally, the people I know draw the line at recreational drug use. If it's "mandatory" - i.e., required for surgery, disease treatment, etc. - you take what you need to, but for no longer than needed. Maybe it's worth noting that many straight edge kids tend towards veg*n diets, and abstain from out-of-committed-relationship sex. So it's not like Punk has a perfect score on his edge card anyway, if we're going by the most strict rules. 

• Like 2

I think Survivor Series is almost certainly going to be a good show. Cena vs ADR has built in psychology and plays right to Cena's strengths. Big Show is going to be super motivated and they're going to have a good match. Bryan/Punk vs Wyatt's should be good so long as Harper does most of the hard stuff for his team. He's having a hell of a month. The traditional survivor series tag is obviously going to be good. I'm not sure how they'll work Big E vs Axel. It should probably be a quick squash but it's not like Axel can't work a good match. Maybe he targets the leg or something, but that doesn't sync well with Cena vs ADR. I still think they should have given it a goofy gimmick like a strap just to differentiate. And the divas tag should probably be a fairly enjoyable mess with lots of quick pins and what not.

On paper, it's a perfectly fine card.

Honestly, i think the problem with Survivor Series is that the appeal of the first few years is gone and never coming back. What made Survivor Series work was to see a bunch of WWF Wrestlers interact with each other outside of the usual very structured cards that we would get the rest of the year. Royal Rumble at least has the Wrestlemania stakes. Survivor Series doesn't have much of anything. We've had a year of multi-man man tags after all. 

Honestly, i think the problem with Survivor Series is that the appeal of the first few years is gone and never coming back. What made Survivor Series work was to see a bunch of WWF Wrestlers interact with each other outside of the usual very structured cards that we would get the rest of the year. Royal Rumble at least has the Wrestlemania stakes. Survivor Series doesn't have much of anything. We've had a year of multi-man man tags after all. 

This.  Survivor Series has basically become just another ppv and not an important one.  It has the misfortune of occurring during the holidays and barely two months before the Rumble, so the company is usually in "time filler" mode where a lot of the programs are simply designed to fill tv time or advance angles to the point they want them at when they begin to build proper for the Rumble and WrestleMainia.

Survivor Series was really only interesting for the multi-man elimination matches.  Without that, it's doesn't have much of an identity.  The early SS matches were frequently not good, but they were different and most teams had wacky names and teamed guys from different stables who didn't normally team together,  Mr. Perfect leading a team comprised of the three members of Demolition (instead of, say, three members of the Heenan Family)?  Sure.  Why not?

• Like 1