DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

Can't find the old Chikara thread, but has anyone else see the Chikara videos that have popped up recently? The Ashes series and there is a new BDK video as well

Here is a link to the current vids on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpVSQCpT4yQ&list=PL5_xjH4qL9RqD7BNjH4SKesR73akUG9gc

What's this new BDK video you're talking about? I can't find it anywhere.

If Cowboy Bob had been around during the attitude era, what are the chances him hitting someone with the broken arm would have been called 'cast to mouth'?

....I'll show myself out.

I don't know, but I do know they would have had Austin kill the gimmick within 2 weeks by kicking out of the cast shot.

The guy busting his ass in MI should send their shit to WWE then.

And hopefully he's not 5'7", 170lbs. doing Superkicks & Shooting Stars.

There are hundreds upon hundreds of "indy workers" out there that deserve a break into something higher profile: WWE, Japan, Mexico, whatever. The fact is that most guys never get a look or a break.

WWE just keeps going back to the ROH well... because that is easy. Plus, some of those guys (Punk, Danielson, etc) have a built in fanbase that can help them get over quick. That is something a guy busting his ass working indy shows in Michigan doesn't have.

There's something to be said for a weeding out process, tho.

Danielson worked my home promotion for nearly the entirety of 2001. During that time, he was the second-or-third best worker in the promotion. The best guy was called Chance Beckett, who most notably had a big standout in the Super 8 tournament in 2003, I think. After that, he got some bookings in RoH, but for whatever reason (probably family), he couldn't/didn't take them. He was (is?) a terrific worker who is calm and collected in the ring, knows his limits, makes his opponents look terrific, and has great charisma, but if he couldn't make RoH commitments, he probably wasn't going to be a WWE star, even if he is better than, say, Jinder Mahal.

I am 100% behind a getting process, don't get me wrong. There are tons of guys out there that want to be big time tv wrestlers, but don't want to travel... And that is impossible to work for most major groups.

At the same time "send stuff to WWE" is kinda shortsighted. It would be like if the NFL only scouted the SEC, and anyone playing ball in another conference was just told to send stuff in to get looked at.

So, try to get booked on shows which might have a guy who might know a guy in WWE-land?  Impress a guy who is friends with a someone who has a role training developmental guys and you might get on the radar?

• Like 1

I am 100% behind a getting process, don't get me wrong. There are tons of guys out there that want to be big time tv wrestlers, but don't want to travel... And that is impossible to work for most major groups.

At the same time "send stuff to WWE" is kinda shortsighted. It would be like if the NFL only scouted the SEC, and anyone playing ball in another conference was just told to send stuff in to get looked at.

Right, but my point is that wrestling is not one of those creative industries like acting or writing or whatever where there really are diamonds in the rough out there.  I agree with you that there are wrestlers that have all the raw talent, athleticism, and charisma to be a WWE performer, but if they have those things and haven't made it to one of RoH/PWG/Dragon Gate/Chikara at least, they probably have some personal issue or lack of motivation/interest in making wrestling a career.  I don't think there's an all-the-tools wrestler out there (wrestling + charisma) that will do the things necessary to get to the WWE and nobody knows about them.

Can't find the old Chikara thread, but has anyone else see the Chikara videos that have popped up recently? The Ashes series and there is a new BDK video as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpVSQCpT4yQ&list=PL5_xjH4qL9RqD7BNjH4SKesR73akUG9gc

What's this new BDK video you're talking about? I can't find it anywhere.

BDK video posted Nov. 18th

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tiQfh_AgJc

Been following all of the Ashes videos, where is the new BDK one?!

BDK video posted Nov. 18th

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tiQfh_AgJc

The guy busting his ass in MI should send their shit to WWE then.

And hopefully he's not 5'7", 170lbs. doing Superkicks & Shooting Stars.

There are hundreds upon hundreds of "indy workers" out there that deserve a break into something higher profile: WWE, Japan, Mexico, whatever. The fact is that most guys never get a look or a break.

WWE just keeps going back to the ROH well... because that is easy. Plus, some of those guys (Punk, Danielson, etc) have a built in fanbase that can help them get over quick. That is something a guy busting his ass working indy shows in Michigan doesn't have.

There's something to be said for a weeding out process, tho.

Danielson worked my home promotion for nearly the entirety of 2001. During that time, he was the second-or-third best worker in the promotion. The best guy was called Chance Beckett, who most notably had a big standout in the Super 8 tournament in 2003, I think. After that, he got some bookings in RoH, but for whatever reason (probably family), he couldn't/didn't take them. He was (is?) a terrific worker who is calm and collected in the ring, knows his limits, makes his opponents look terrific, and has great charisma, but if he couldn't make RoH commitments, he probably wasn't going to be a WWE star, even if he is better than, say, Jinder Mahal.

Hell, it's how UPW became a developmental territory. 

So...I'm thinking of finally doing a podcast of sorts focusing on my lady's 11 year old boy's thoughts and opinions on current pro-wrestling, starting with us doing a Survivor Series prediction show. Basically, I'll talk with him getting his thoughts on that week's shows, who his favorites are and why, and where he thinks things are going. Thought it would be an interesting and different take to hear what a new fan of the current wrestling scene thinks of these things. I'd moderate, of course, and lead the conversations to get his opinions. And he is very opinionated. Would anybody be interested in checking this out should I be able to tear him away from Call of Duty for a bit to record something? Also, if we do it, I'd like to do a Q & A section for him, so if anybody has questions, PM me for now and if it takes off/if there's interest, we'll figure out a better way in the future.

• Like 2

If an up-and-coming pro wrestler is serious enough about his/her craft to try to get into the WWE, they should be serious enough about their craft to try to get into ROH. 

If I were just starting out, I'd try to go to a school that might allow me a chance at being looked at like Harley Race's or Lance Storm's.

For the 1000th time, Devitt is not going to WWE.

This.  Why would he, really?  He makes a shit ton of money with New Japan, gets to go home for a month after every tour, and gets to work the way he wants to work.  He'd be dumb to give all that up just to dick around in Florida for a year and be brought to the roster as Sheamus' runt brother.

Just brain farting here....

Is it a coincidence that the two best workers in WWE history (IMO, of course) both wore pink? Bret Hart and Randy Savage (WM 3).

Think about it people.

2328188_web.jpg?1348671394

'SUP

13.jpg

Relax with Trudy.

• Like 1

With the random shout out to Jarrett on Raw, it got me to thinking who are the living stars or even well-known mid-card guys, who legitimately have a bridge burnt with WWE? Even guys who were so anti-WWE a few years ago and bashing everyone like Road Dog and Billy Gunn came back. Of course, Bruno made peace. Warrior is inevitably going to be in the HOF. Mickie was persona non grata a few years back and they brought her back this week. Sable came back. Heyman was damn near thrown out of Titan Towers and he came back for another run. Hogan's probably coming back. So, who is never getting even a cameo on a DVD?

Really, it seems like maybe Chyna might be the only one. Maybe Jim Cornette too, though I assume he'll show up on the Network at some point.  I could imagine various ways that Jeff Jarrett ends up with a Legends Deal. I guess, Ken Anderson is pretty much blackballed but he was never really much of a star.

So, is there any other star that is completely shit out of luck on ever being back in some fashion?

Also, who do you think the next "Hell has frozen over" comeback is? Aside from Warrior and Hogan.

I wonder what everyone thinks of Magnum T.A. as a worker and talker. I ask this because I have been watching quite a bit of him on weekly shows from 85-87, and I totally love this dude. I am not able to articulate what I like about him in the ring. Maybe it's just that he has that no nonsense, blue collar shitkicker sort of thing going on. 

When he talks, though, man, he sounds like a shining beacon of justice. Someone mentioned, in an earlier conversation, that one of their favorite babyface reactions was Magnum standing over a bloody, begging Tully after the I Quit match ready to beat him senseless before walking off and leaving a sniveling Tully to think about his actions over the past few months. That sort of encapsulates it for me. I would love to have a beer with a guy like this and talk about honesty, justice, and college football. And I say this as a black dude from the PNW. Somehow, he just connects with me in a way that most wrestlers in this vein do not. 

I would love to see T.A. in current WWE. Cena and T.A. against the Authority would be awesome. 

So, is there any other star that is completely shit out of luck on ever being back in some fashion?

Lex Luger?