DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

A Clash show in an era where RAW is already 3-hours long anyway? I think it only works if RAW is shorter so the Clash show could feel more like a PPV. Even the PPV nowadays doesn't feel special...

And yeah, I def. changed the channel when they announced the country music singers were coming out. Flipped right to Monday Night Football. Curious how that segment does.

Anybody got any info or guesses on how much of the WWE buyrates come from bars/restaurants that buy the PPV and air it for customers? just a kinda random question

also, I find it interesting that matches from Legends of World Class are on YouTube for a fee. I'm pretty sure they've done that repeatedly with other DVD releases. So, in theory, they could stream PPVs through YouTube (similar to how the Olympics or major sports have done the same thing) for a fee, with the hard copy of the PPV being available for viewing later.

YouTube has seen an amazing streak of pretty blatant benign piracy. I say benign because people posting MLB GOTWs from the 80s, entire CDs as one track, or full PPV events from the 90s is probably not costing the violated copyright holders much money, but technically violations are occurring. IIRC, Google pretty much pays businesses enough to stop them from doing mass takedowns of videos and will take down people from time to time.

But yeah, streaming PPV is probably way more viable than when they streamed WCW house shows in 1998. 

I wonder how much of a cluster it'd be to get the WWE archives on Netflix or Hulu or whoever is their exclusive hookup there

There are a few bars around here that are not listed on the "blast zone" that do the ppvs.  One actually charged 5 bucks a head the last time I went, that was for elimination chamber last year though, not sure what they do now.  I may check out survivor series there this weekend, no way I would pay for it.  Actually the card stinks, not sure I would even drive 20min to the bar.

I think the WWE are stuck. And they know they're stuck. Which is why they wont shake up the status quo too much.

WWE PPVs are comically overpriced but they are still making a lot of money off of them.

Lowering the price of WWE PPVs to a consumer friendly price ($15-$20) would increase the buyrates but likely lower overall revenue.

Givings B-ppvs away for free with a WWE Network subscription would increase subscriptions but likely lower overall revenue.

I have no idea what the answer is. The shame of it from a business perspective is the WWE is not getting nearly enough revenue out of someone like me. I watch the product religiously and have a nice chunk of disposable income. However, because of the prices of PPVs and my lack of interest in wrestling merch I spend next to nothing on my wrestling addiction. Even the dvds I want to see show up for free on Netflix within a few months.

They could easily get me on the hook for $15-$20 per month they just haven't figured out a way to do it.

• Like 1

From what i've read they are reporting for another week of tryouts and even though they seem to have hired all the top indy work-rate guys people are still pushing for them.

I'm always curious who is IN the WWE bubble but is aware of workers like Davey and Eddie. It used to be Naylor. I just imagine peopple get to the WWE and forget there is an "indies." Naive, I know.

Hope they put them on a FCW Arena show on a Thursday. Would be cool to see them.

From what i've read they are reporting for another week of tryouts and even though they seem to have hired all the top indy work-rate guys people are still pushing for them.

I'm always curious who is IN the WWE bubble but is aware of workers like Davey and Eddie. It used to be Naylor. I just imagine peopple get to the WWE and forget there is an "indies." Naive, I know.

Hope they put them on a FCW Arena show on a Thursday. Would be cool to see them.

Regal is the guy.

Who on the indys is even left that would be a good hiring choice for the E other then Cole? I think Jig would be an incredibly interesting choice, but you could not have him take the mask off.

Jigsaw? Really? Granted I haven't seen any of his work prob the last couple years but I can't see that at all.

A guy I'm beginning to feel bad for is Roderick Strong. He's worked hard for a long time but it's pretty clear he's never going to make it in the WWE. It's gotta be tough watching all of your peers just leave you in the dust.

Was Strong ever in TNA? I don't think so, but I'm not sure.

Had to suck for Austin Aries to not even make Tough Enough. It had to be validating for him to be successful in TNA on his return, even if it's just TNA.

Hasn't a lot of people said Mike Bennett is a shoo-in to at least make NXT at some point, and that maybe Maria Kanellis is actually holding him back?

Some highlights from JR's latest blog post

Is Randy Orton a fan favorite or a villain? One can't be both, as a rule....but, of course, I'm out of touch with today's product.

I think that I may have missed the class on the invisible line between good and evil. In real life that may be true but last I looked pro wrestling on TV isn't real life.

Congrats to Big E Langston for becoming the IC Champion. I wish Big E nothing but success. The former Iowa Hawkeye Defensive Tackle is a beast of an athlete with great integrity. One can't get too many like him in any locker room. I got to know "E" well in NXT. Fans have loved him there for a long time at Full Sail Arena.

Hopefully many of today's impatient fans will allow Big E to continue to evolve as he's not even close to reaching his potential.

Thought the Big Show vs. Ryback match was surprisingly good.

By the time this match had ended, I had seen enough clotheslines during the first three matches to last me the balance of the three hours that I stayed tuned.

If the Real Americans can get on a true roll, they would help WWE overall and the tag team scene in general.

Miz is a better TV wrestling villain than a hero.

Ziggler vs. Sandow in their Broadway Brawl turned into anything but and was essentially a comedy segment based on the soundtrack.

Great seeing Xavier Woods get a shot on RAW. Another really high quality student athlete who's close to getting his PHD. Really an engaging young man to be around with tons of charisma. I'm hopeful that his tenure will be productive in WWE as he is a great representative for the company on many fronts. It's admirable that Woods has continued his education the past few years while still competing and attempting to earn a roster spot in WWE while residing in NXT. Dr. Woods is a great promo talent if allowed to use large aspects of himself in his TV persona.  

Many unique personas got quality exposure in the final several minutes of RAW. It will be interesting to see of the newer guys in the 12 man tag who breaks from the pack and makes their mark in WWE main events.

It's obvious that Daniel Bryan and CM Punk are 'over' and could be even more viable and productive quite easily.

Good to see Rey Mysterio back and hopefully healthy or at least healthy enough to be able to be himself and perform to the level that his fans expect. WWE can really use Rey's star power and name identity.

Hard to believe that this was the final RAW prior to the Survivor Series and that another WWE PPV comes our way this Sunday from Boston.

Impressed with the WWE HOF panel that will be a part of the Survivor Series and hope that they are allowed the freedom to express themselves. If they are, then Mick Foley, Booker T and Bret hart could be awfully entertaining and informative. Hopefully WWE will trust these men's instincts and allow them to freelance while traveling the same direction.

Remember this....talents in pro wresting cannot get 'over' unless they get on a roll and are then involved in an ongoing, personal issue in a competitive environment.