DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

There's a difference between finding valid reasons and making excuses.

Yeah, Triple H's promos were a problem, bit if Daniel Bryan was a genuine top star, would that have really stopped him? Probably not.

Likewise, the whole "CM Punk/Daniel Bryan don't draw because their fans download stuff instead of buying it" taking point seems a bit silly too. Bryan can't draw because his fanbase is 98% criminals!?

Triple H is not to blame for every single thing that goes wrong in wrestling.

Just CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, and Brock Lesnar.

I don't think Cena has that "thing" like a Hogan/Rock/Austin did.  Not on a level where you give shit about his extra stuff.  It seems on the whole, people wish Cena would shut up and cut out his extra shit.  Most smart people love his in-ring.  Everything else is the turnoff.

With that said, I actually agree that D-Bry doesn't have that "thing" either.  But in an age where WWE feels like they can condition fans to cheer for who they want, it seems to me that the effort wasn't really there.  Being outgunned and outsmarted doesn't bode well for a top babyface on a weekly basis.

You guys are forgetting that Bryan did destroy everyone whenever it was a fair fight. I'm not going to blame Triple H, a heel, for doing heel shit..  He stacked the deck against Bryan and Bryan overcame the odds plenty of times. I'm telling you, it's the schedule to blame..  The writers needed to get from point A to point B and simply could not figure out a way to fill in the blanks... 

There were people on here complaining about Bryan taking a beating from four men a week into the angle. The schedule sucks, the writers aren't good, Vince has no patience and the fans (including posters here) have no patience..  Nobody is ever going to take the crown from Cena if these issues go unresolved.

I don't have an issue with how Bryan was booked. It was making the entire under card look spineless and pathetic for weeks that was the problem. But that has been going on for years. Ever since the show went from focusing on Steve Austin to Vince McMahon and his dopey spoiled kids power fantasy. 

Casual fans are not paying fifty bucks to watch pay per views. Once you part with that much money, it is not a casual interest. 

No, a group of casual fans are splitting that $50 bucks 3 or 4 ways with the one "hard core spend money on every PPV fan to watch"  Or hitting the bar to watch because it happens to be on there... 

That second one doesn't put any money into the WWE's coffers. Hence why they would occasionally try to shut that sort of thing down back in the old days.

But buy rates and ratings have continually fell with him at the top. How is it when Bryan gets a shot and ratings go down a little, he is not a draw. But Cena is never blamed for declining buy rates or ratings?

idk. Attendance at shows sucks when the people know he isn't going to be there.

And as someone who has actually paid for a PPV like ever (fuck you guys btw), you shouldn't be asking "why aren't people buying them" you should be asking "why are people buying them?"  Summerslam 2010 featured a bunch of new guys, guys who have been around but no one gave a shit about, Edge, and John Cena. I brought the PPV because the story of the Nexus vs the WWE was done good enough for me to buy it.

Why should I want to pay to see DB finally get pushed past da glass ceiling? Where is the drama in that? Why do I give a fuck if I am not a fan of the guy? You can make the crowd do anything if you are charismatic enough and/or do it right. That doesn't mean that everyone is there to chant "YES!" for the guy. It just means people got caught up in the moment.

Casual fans are not paying fifty bucks to watch pay per views. Once you part with that much money, it is not a casual interest. 

I really don't understand why the hell they don't lower the price of the damn PPVs. Unless they're contractually obligated to price them the way they are, they should try selling one of the lower tier PPVs for, say, $29.99 and see if buyrates jump. That's the big reason I haven't ordered a PPV in over 5 years. I refuse to put down 50-60 bucks when, if I really want to watch the show, I can buy the DVD of it a couple months later for 15-20 bucks.

• Like 3

I really don't understand why the hell they don't lower the price of the damn PPVs. Unless they're contractually obligated to price them the way they are, they should try selling one of the lower tier PPVs for, say, $29.99 and see if buyrates jump. That's the big reason I haven't ordered a PPV in over 5 years. I refuse to put down 50-60 bucks when, if I really want to watch the show, I can buy the DVD of it a couple months later for 15-20 bucks.

Why should they bother if PPV buy rates have to triple for them to make the same amount of money?

On the subject of PPV buyrates...

The sheer availability of online streams of the PPVs is killing WWE too.

WWE (and the NFL and UFC and boxing and any other premium service) needs to realize the same thing the the music industry failed to in 2000 with Napster. PEOPLE DON'T WANT TO PAY FULL PRICE FOR ONE OR TWO MATCHES. It's the same idea of being able to buy tracks individually instead of an entire CD. The other half of the problem is, most people have no problem paying a fair price for a product that they like. However, there are no WWE PPVs that are really worth $50-$60 other than 'Mania. To the average person, the question becomes "Do I spend $55 on WWE" or "Do I go online and watch a bootleg stream for free?" I think a good percentage of people who watch the bootleg stream WOULD pay if the price was more fair. I know I felt bad a couple years ago when I watched some NFL games online because they were blacked out locally - I would have even paid $10 to watch the game in HD on my big screen TV, but that's not even an option. So instead of getting some money from me, the NFL forced me to either A) Spend a ton of money to attend the game live B) not watch the game (which they don't want) or C) "steal" the game online (which they also don't want). 

So what is the answer? Lower the price of the PPVs. Or do more gimmicks where if you order 'Mania, you get Backlash for half off or if you order the three PPVs in Sept.-Oct. it's $99 for the pack. Simple stuff.

You might, but would more people REALLY pay whatever lowered price for the PPVs if they're already getting them for free?

Streams are a pain in the ass. Anyway, I'm not sure people even want them for free. 

Not streams as much as downloads. You don't get to watch something as it happens, but just avoid the typical news sites so someone doesn't spoil it for you and it's up about 3 hours later.

Really, lowering the price does have a point - I didn't wanna pay $60 to watch St. Pierrre-Hendricks in the comfort of my own home but was willing to pay $20 (I guess) to go see it in a theater if my town had one of the broadcasts. Hell, I even paid for a TNA PPV in a theater 'cause I'd never seen wrestling on the big screen.

You might, but would more people REALLY pay whatever lowered price for the PPVs if they're already getting them for free?

Not everybody. But I do believe there are a lot of people out there who download music (or in this case, wrestling) for free who would pay a reasonable fee. Now what "reasonable" is could very much be up for debate. I might pay $30 for a B level PPV.  The trick is to find that price point that people are willing to pay where the lower prices balance out with the number of people ordering.

But getting back to the whole BOGO or whatever; I thought for a while WWE could try a "season pass" type of thing where for, let's say $600, you get every PPV from 'Mania until Elimination Chamber the following year. That's a nice discount and would encourage more people to watch more PPVs to get their moneys worth. More eyes on the product = more money long term.

It's no guarantee that the Von Erich thing will be a full-length documentary either as there are also 30 for 30 Shorts which run 6-15 minutes in length and are online-only.

I hope it is a short.  I will definitely watch and would rather be depressed for only 6-15 minutes than 60-90 minutes.  Athough it should take about 25 minutes alone to describe what a screwed up delusion mess Fritz was.

I anticipate the "country" theme for RAW tonight to be excruciatingly embarrassing & stereotypically insulting. I have no idea who this is supposed to appeal to in 2013, with WWE being a worldwide company that is publicly traded.

I wonder if their idea of a special surprise is ironically carting out Mickie James to sing.

I anticipate the "country" theme for RAW tonight to be excruciatingly embarrassing & stereotypically insulting. I have no idea who this is supposed to appeal to in 2013, with WWE being a worldwide company that is publicly traded.

I really hope that Punk and Bryan are in the main event tonight so when the inevitably terrible ratings come out, we get to hear about how this was a conspiracy by HHH to prove Bryan and Punk aren't draws.