DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

I think it's definitely true that the people that love Bryan the most, pretty much refuse to pump any revenue into WWE.  I've said before, and more or less got shouted down, but it boils down to trust.  People don't trust WWE to do anything right, so they don't invest.  Frankly, WWE keeps proving these people right over and over.

They don't buy it so WWE give up.

No-one really wants to see Daniel Bryan do anything outside of wrestle, and chant "Yes!".

You wanted to see Austin cut a curse laden promo, drink beer, beat somebody's ass, hand out Stunners to a million other people around ringside.

You wanted to see The Rock cut a promo about pie, lay the Smackdown, go through his cool moveset, raise an eyebrow, drop an elbow, do funny backstage stuff.

You wanted to see The Undertaker have a lot of pyro, and smoke and mirrors, do the whole dead guy sit up and beat up some big fat guy before putting them in a bodybag/casket/grave/setting them on fire/embalming them/tying them to a giant symbol/drag motorcycles through the desert

You wanted to see Hogan cut a promo coked out of his mind, hulk up, big boot, leg drop and pose for everyone.

Live audiences aren't exactly chomping at the bit for him to tell us what's on his mind, or hang around after a house show has ended to see what shenanigans will take place so you can film it on your tiny camera phone.

You can say that about every top guy in the company post-Rock/Austin, though.

I think it's definitely true that the people that love Bryan the most, pretty much refuse to pump any revenue into WWE.  I've said before, and more or less got shouted down, but it boils down to trust.  People don't trust WWE to do anything right, so they don't invest.  Frankly, WWE keeps proving these people right over and over.

They don't buy it so WWE give up

Cutting off the nose to spite the face?

When was the last time the WWE invested a ton of money in getting a guy over? Like Lex Express levels?

Daniel Bryan getting a Prius Lex Express to rally the nation into getting behind him in getting an opportunity to become the face of the company would be awesome

A vegan food truck.

• Like 1

There's a difference between finding valid reasons and making excuses.

Yeah, Triple H's promos were a problem, bit if Daniel Bryan was a genuine top star, would that have really stopped him? Probably not.

Likewise, the whole "CM Punk/Daniel Bryan don't draw because their fans download stuff instead of buying it" taking point seems a bit silly too. Bryan can't draw because his fanbase is 98% criminals!?

Triple H is not to blame for every single thing that goes wrong in wrestling.

• Like 1

When was the last time the WWE invested a ton of money in getting a guy over? Like Lex Express levels?

Daniel Bryan getting a Prius Lex Express to rally the nation into getting behind him in getting an opportunity to become the face of the company would be awesome

A vegan food truck.

Too bad there's no evil Yokozuna to slam on an Air craft carrier these days.

Hey guys. Remember a few weeks ago when we couldn't stop talking about what was going to happen next? When half the roster was involved in a storyline and given actual purpose?

Now we're stuck debating why the one universally over guy on the roster isn't a draw and whether its wrong that big show stole his taunt and hijacked his angle.

All I know is when Bryan was on top my interest was up. Now that big show is in top I couldn't care what happens next. I'm more interested in the 8th tamina snuka push.

• Like 2

Well, if you think I am blaming Triple H for this you haven't read my posts :)

But in all seriousness, I DO believe that Bryan's most vocal fans are not paying to watch him on PPV or watching every single RAW match that he has when it is happening. They hear Bryan fought Cesaro and they run to torrents or YouTube to get their fix. By comparison, I think Cena's supporters..  the younger crowd and the wait for it.... CASUAL fan do pony up (or make their parents pony up) for the shows. Listen, ten-year old Jack is not hopping on the net and finding the best way to download fucking B-PPVs..  He is pleading with his parents to buy a PPV because his hero Cena is fighting Rock or they hear Cena will be in the main segment on RAW and make sure to turn it back on and watch.

• Like 2

Casual fans are not paying fifty bucks to watch pay per views. Once you part with that much money, it is not a casual interest. 

No, a group of casual fans are splitting that $50 bucks 3 or 4 ways with the one "hard core spend money on every PPV fan to watch"  Or hitting the bar to watch because it happens to be on there... 

• Like 1

Casual fans are not paying fifty bucks to watch pay per views. Once you part with that much money, it is not a casual interest. 

You would be surprised. Take my uncle for one..  He doesn't watch RAW every week and barely ever watches SD! but did he buy WrestleMania with Rock vs. Cena? You bet. Did he buy Brock Lesnar's return matches? You bet. Did he buy WMXXVI because Taker was fighting HBK and HBK's career was on the line? You bet.

He's not alone out there...  These guys are household names. Maybe if WWE could find a way to keep an angle hot Daniel Bryan and CM Punk would gain some of that crossover appeal but their writers are not good enough and are also overworked..

You would be surprised. Take my uncle for one..  He doesn't watch RAW every week and barely ever watches SD! but did he buy WrestleMania with Rock vs. Cena? You bet. Did he buy Brock Lesnar's return matches? You bet. Did he buy WMXXVI because Taker was fighting HBK and HBK's career was on the line? You bet.

He's not alone out there...  These guys are household names. Maybe if WWE could find a way to keep an angle hot Daniel Bryan and CM Punk would gain some of that crossover appeal but their writers are not good enough and are also overworked..

Big difference between Wrestlemania and these B shows. 

When Cena went down and the ratings went down too, the WWE came to the conclusion they had nobody to carry the brand without him and that Bryan was not that guy whence his downward push. That may have something to do with Cena coming back so quickly. Bryan was not bringing in the crowds or the cash. 

You can say that about every top guy in the company post-Rock/Austin, though.

This guy from Westbury might have something to say about that.

Cena's been at top for almost 10 years. That is unprecedented in anything outside of like being president of the U.S. Maybe people are just plumb naive to think DB was really "the guy" now. I mean, if he had the happy ending people have been bitching about, do you really see him being able to sell someone further down the card to people? Like really make people think someone is a threat the way John Cena can?

But that doesn't matter. DB's fans will find something to gripe about.

Big difference between Wrestlemania and these B shows. 

Sure but I also mentioned Lesnar though I would say his appeal is wearing off. Lets think about this though.. Cena is a proven draw and a household name. Maybe his fans trend younger but they will get their parents to put RAW on and he's also a household name so someone who doesn't follow wrestling might flip through the channels and say "hey, it's Cena.. lets see what he's up to"

How many times do we have a RAW discussion on here and it lasts a week? How many posters come in a few days later and add their thoughts? They aren't watching RAW when it airs. Maybe they DVR'd it but most likely they went online and cherry picked certain parts of the show..

But buy rates and ratings have continually fell with him at the top. How is it when Bryan gets a shot and ratings go down a little, he is not a draw. But Cena is never blamed for declining buy rates or ratings? 

I don't give a shit about anything beyond what I like, but people whoring for ratings should be consistent. 

• Like 1