DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

I've not considered it as Big Show stealing the Yes! chant so much as him showing solidarity with Bryan in his fight with the Authority.

Except that's over, and done with. Bryan lost the fight, end of story.

Is Bryan's fight w/ the Authority really over? Who's behind the Wyatt Family going after him? The devil made me do it? As much as I don't want the devil to turn out to be HHH pulling the strings for Bray Wyatt. There's still so many places to go creatively for a group of backwoods cultists to just end up as HHH flunkies.

• Like 1

I had to live thru Vader being jobbed out to Edge and Al Snow and Sabu jobbing to Doug Williams. The ROHbots need to learn to deal.

Had to live through Sabu jobbing to Doug Williams? You make it sound like Doug Williams is Garrett Bischoff. There is nothing wrong with Doug Williams. Isn't the term ROHbots completely dated now anyway? It's not even the same fucking company anymore as it was during Gabe's days.

Nothing against Doug Williams. But I was not happy with Sabu losing to John Cena. 

The people getting up in arms about Punk and Bryan are ROHbots. 

I remember Edge's win but when the hell did Al Snow beat Vader?

It was a Raw in October 98. Sgt.Slaughter recruited Vader to get rid of Snow. 

It was September 28th, 1998. I'm watching that episode right now. The video package that opens the show is pretty great. But, yeah, Vic is actually right. Vader gets beat by Snow when he attacks Vader with the Head mannequin. VADER.

sigh.

I've not considered it as Big Show stealing the Yes! chant so much as him showing solidarity with Bryan in his fight with the Authority.

Is Bryan's fight w/ the Authority really over? Who's behind the Wyatt Family going after him? The devil made me do it?

ALL THOSE ANSWERS AND MORE ON MONDAY NIGHT RAW

I think Punk Vs. Bryan is more likely than HBK Vs. Bryan, but I obviously can't name my sources.

Edited by _MJ_

so who do you think got stock footage of Mussolini/Stalin in the McMahon video packages in 1998, Vince M or Vince R? (saw it in the Over the Edge 98 opener and the 9/28/98 Raw open)

also found that the 9/28/98 Raw was the Owen 'injuring' Dan Severn with the piledriver episode

Is Bryan's fight w/ the Authority really over? Who's behind the Wyatt Family going after him? The devil made me do it?

ALL THOSE ANSWERS AND MORE ON MONDAY DAY NIGHT RAW

I think Punk Vs. Bryan is more likely than HBK Vs. Bryan, but I obviously can't name my sources.

006_PUNK_08062012jg_00014.jpg

It all makes sense now.

• Like 1

The WWE lost faith in Bryan when the ratings took a nose dive when Cena was gone. Now he's back in the midcard, pretty much the same story with Punk. Also I always assumed Vince was the power behind the Wyatt's in his effort to regain control of the company. 

I'm not concerned that they're burying Bryan by a long stretch, he's still massively over and can slot right back into a main event at any point against whoever, same as Punk. What bothers me is that they've put together a Survivor Series card that I'm genuinely not sure I can be bothered paying for and staying up till 4AM for, when I took a day off work the following Monday to do exactly that. All it'll take is at least one traditional elimination match and I'll probably still order it, but Big Show vs Orton and Cena vs Del Rio has to be the most uninspiring pair of main events for a major PPV in years.

Just imagine if it was Cena/Orton and Big Show/Del Rio. At least Show/Orton hasn't been done to death trying to build up an Austin/Rock or Michaels/Bret rivalry that doesn't exist.

I don't know if it's been discussed here before but was it ever known why Vader was jobbed out the way he was in the WWE?  He's another guy who needs to write a book, he's been around enough to have some interesting stuff to talk about.

He asked to be released from his contract early and they asked him to put guys over on his way out. I don't get the logic of jobbing him every fucking week, instead of building him up to get one guy over. 

Worst thing was fucking Jim Ross burying him as being out of shape every match. One match Cole tries to put Vader over and JR pipes in to get his weekly burial in. 

The PPV buyrates hurt Bryan more than the TV ratings.

People just like saying, "Yes!"  They like saying, "No!"   They like saying, "What?" and a lot of those people probably don't even know where that comes from.  They put their hands to their hearts and chant "We the people!" along with the xenophobic heels.  They went, "We want Ryder, woo woo woo" even though they didn't even really want Ryder.  People just like chanting.  Get a large group of them together and it's just a monkey see, monkey do situation.

• Like 2

Shawn is never gonna wrestle again. Give up that pipe dream.

Look at Shawn when he drops to his knees to do his prayer thing on the ramp. He's in so much pain doing that. I think it was said he needs two new knees. He's Rey Mysterio...just not as brittle.

I don't think it's just buyrates when it comes to DB. I mean, the Raw taping last week did like 13,000 and the SD taping in the same venue the next day did 4000 or so. I get people not wanting to shell out to see a PPV. But people willing to flat out not come to a show?

Yikes. For all the love that SD gets for its RASSTLIN', maybe it is time to change things up.

What the Summerslam buyrate proved was that the Triple H feud (which I actually mostly enjoyed) killed Brock's drawing power.

Summerslam did nearly identical buys to what it did in 2011.  It was only down from the big spike that happened in 2012, which was the only increase the show has seen in the last 5 years.

I discussed this with a friend the other day because he was convinced that Bryan should be THE guy in WWE (and I wish that was a possibility as well because I love Bryan) and he based his argument on the crowd reactions but it really does go deeper than that. There was a time where the most over guys on the roster were the top guys but it's all about who are you willing to pay to see and a lot of Bryan's supporters are kind of failing him by not buying the shows or watching RAW later in the week on YouTube or downloading it, etc.

But this also goes back to what I was saying on the previous page. I think WWE produces too much weekly television and too many PPVs.. the writing team just isn't good enough to get from point A to point B without fucking up a hot angle and making it more complex than it needs to be.

I remember when someone wrote that the plan was for Bryan to win the title at WrestleMania and my first thought was "That is months away, can the writing team make it that far?"

The only reason Cena vs. Rock worked the first time was because Rock wasn't around most of the time. Imagine if Rock was on every week appearing on both RAW and SD!..  by the time Mania came around nobody would have given a shit.

• Like 2

The PPV buyrates hurt Bryan more than the TV ratings.

People just like saying, "Yes!" They like saying, "No!" They like saying, "What?" and a lot of those people probably don't even know where that comes from. They put their hands to their hearts and chant "We the people!" along with the xenophobic heels. They went, "We want Ryder, woo woo woo" even though they didn't even really want Ryder. People just like chanting. Get a large group of them together and it's just a monkey see, monkey do situation.

Principles of social psychology on prominent display.

I think it's definitely true that the people that love Bryan the most, pretty much refuse to pump any revenue into WWE.  I've said before, and more or less got shouted down, but it boils down to trust.  People don't trust WWE to do anything right, so they don't invest.  Frankly, WWE keeps proving these people right over and over.

• Like 3

No-one really wants to see Daniel Bryan do anything outside of wrestle, and chant "Yes!".

You wanted to see Austin cut a curse laden promo, drink beer, beat somebody's ass, hand out Stunners to a million other people around ringside.

You wanted to see The Rock cut a promo about pie, lay the Smackdown, go through his cool moveset, raise an eyebrow, drop an elbow, do funny backstage stuff.

You wanted to see The Undertaker have a lot of pyro, and smoke and mirrors, do the whole dead guy sit up and beat up some big fat guy before putting them in a bodybag/casket/grave/setting them on fire/embalming them/tying them to a giant symbol/drag motorcycles through the desert

You wanted to see Hogan cut a promo coked out of his mind, hulk up, big boot, leg drop and pose for everyone.

Live audiences aren't exactly chomping at the bit for him to tell us what's on his mind, or hang around after a house show has ended to see what shenanigans will take place so you can film it on your tiny camera phone.

• Like 2