DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

If Daniel Bryan's fans would have paid to see him, things might be different. But since they all stole that shit online, now he's back to the midcard. Blame yourselves! :ph34r:

You should have paid $50 three months in a row to get screw job finishes like good fans!!!

• Like 9

I think it's cool that Big Show is doing "Bryan's thing".

Just as I think that it is great for Bryan that Hunter putted him at the level of Jericho and Edge. I don't see Bryan as a top guy anyway, I'm fine with him "just" having great matches and being a fan favorite.

The reason that it bugs me, is that Bryan came up with something to get himself over, but the company is ok with letting the guy that they actually want to push take it as his own.  When AJ did it, it was because she was in an angle with Bryan and antagonizing him with it.  It's not the same.

Consider that, if you don't actually have first-hand experience of it, you're taking Gonzalez's word for gospel.

It really isn't super strange that The Big Show is doing the chant, considering that AJ has done it (in Bryan or Punk-related angles) and Del Rio has done it (in unrelated angles).  Big Show has also done it all of two separate RAW occasions (I don't watch Smackdown any more).  I believe it is still very much associated, both within the WWE and especially among the fanbase.  So, it's not like they've just had it visibly yanked from Bryan and put on another performer.

Finally, and most importantly, consider that your argument depends on information you got from Gonzalez.

Is Show inducing the crowd to chant or is he going along with it when the crowd chooses on its own to start a chant?

More often than not he's signaling to the crowd before they start chanting. He does go along with it when it comes organically, though. So does John Cena. Probably others that I can't remember. It's like a company wide thing. it's basically replaced the "WHAT?" chants if you think about it. "Holy Shit" too, in some cases.

I'm not concerned that they're burying Bryan by a long stretch, he's still massively over and can slot right back into a main event at any point against whoever, same as Punk. What bothers me is that they've put together a Survivor Series card that I'm genuinely not sure I can be bothered paying for and staying up till 4AM for, when I took a day off work the following Monday to do exactly that. All it'll take is at least one traditional elimination match and I'll probably still order it, but Big Show vs Orton and Cena vs Del Rio has to be the most uninspiring pair of main events for a major PPV in years. Big Show and Orton are both great performers, but they're the two stalest characters in WWE. Cena can be incredible when he's up against an interesting opponent, and they've put him in what seems like his tenth match with Del Rio in two years. My only interest in either match is that the Champions retain decisively so we can get some fresher matches at the next PPV, which is far from the greatest motivation for spending £16. Punk and Bryan vs The Wyatts will probably be excellent, but they'll be fighting each other all over Raw and Smackdown for weeks afterwards too. Again, all they need to do is pad out the card with a couple of 5 on 5 midcarder fests and I'll be more than happy to grin and bear the rest of it, but the main event scene really has taken an epic turn for the turgid.

• Like 1

I think it's cool that Big Show is doing "Bryan's thing".

Just as I think that it is great for Bryan that Hunter putted him at the level of Jericho and Edge. I don't see Bryan as a top guy anyway, I'm fine with him "just" having great matches and being a fan favorite.

The reason that it bugs me, is that Bryan came up with something to get himself over, but the company is ok with letting the guy that they actually want to push take it as his own.  When AJ did it, it was because she was in an angle with Bryan and antagonizing him with it.  It's not the same.

Consider that, if you don't actually have first-hand experience of it, you're taking Gonzalez's word for gospel.

It really isn't super strange that The Big Show is doing the chant, considering that AJ has done it (in Bryan or Punk-related angles) and Del Rio has done it (in unrelated angles).  Big Show has also done it all of two separate RAW occasions (I don't watch Smackdown any more).  I believe it is still very much associated, both within the WWE and especially among the fanbase.  So, it's not like they've just had it visibly yanked from Bryan and put on another performer.

Finally, and most importantly, consider that your argument depends on information you got from Gonzalez.

Fair point.

I had to live thru Vader being jobbed out to Edge and Al Snow and Sabu jobbing to Doug Williams. The ROHbots need to learn to deal.

Had to live through Sabu jobbing to Doug Williams? You make it sound like Doug Williams is Garrett Bischoff. There is nothing wrong with Doug Williams. Isn't the term ROHbots completely dated now anyway? It's not even the same fucking company anymore as it was during Gabe's days.

• Like 3

I feel like the amount of television WWE produces weekly along with a PPV every month is ultimately what causes a lot of these hot angles to fail. Forget the Attitude Era, wrestling was red hot... Austin/Rock were massive stars, they were able to overcome terrible booking. Remember with Austin the double pin against Taker/Kane a couple months into his title reign? I think the internet would have shit on that completely.

Back to the point..  I don't think the WWE writers are good enough to produce this much television. If the Bryan v. Authority angle happens in 1992..  they could have built towards Bryan v. Orton or Bryan v. HHH for months. These days they have put themselves in a position where Bryan and Orton have to face one another sooner than later and then they need a selling point to ANOTHER PPV 3 weeks out.. so they run a rematch. That's why we have terrible finishes and the angle loses steam. Maybe more talented writers find a way to keep it interesting but you have to admit..  it's a lot of fucking television especially with Bryan appearing on both RAW and SD! every week.

• Like 5

I had to live thru Vader being jobbed out to Edge and Al Snow and Sabu jobbing to Doug Williams. The ROHbots need to learn to deal.

Had to live through Sabu jobbing to Doug Williams? You make it sound like Doug Williams is Garrett Bischoff. There is nothing wrong with Doug Williams. Isn't the term ROHbots completely dated now anyway? It's not even the same fucking company anymore as it was during Gabe's days.

Don't even bother, Eddie. Look who you're talkin to.

I feel like the amount of television WWE produces weekly along with a PPV every month is ultimately what causes a lot of these hot angles to fail. Forget the Attitude Era, wrestling was red hot... Austin/Rock were massive stars, they were able to overcome terrible booking. Remember with Austin the double pin against Taker/Kane a couple months into his title reign? I think the internet would have shit on that completely.

Back to the point..  I don't think the WWE writers are good enough to produce this much television. If the Bryan v. Authority angle happens in 1992..  they could have built towards Bryan v. Orton or Bryan v. HHH for months. These days they have put themselves in a position where Bryan and Orton have to face one another sooner than later and then they need a selling point to ANOTHER PPV 3 weeks out.. so they run a rematch. That's why we have terrible finishes and the angle loses steam. Maybe more talented writers find a way to keep it interesting but you have to admit..  it's a lot of fucking television especially with Bryan appearing on both RAW and SD! every week.

It was also the specific PPVs they had. Hell in the Cell pretty much had to be an Orton/Bryan blow off which would have been the equivalent of the Austin/Rock blowoff being two months after Deadly Games. 

WWEShop.com with another buy one, get one free DVD sale.  Just picked up 6 blu-rays (Mid South, Triple H, Best of IYH, Bret Hart Dungeon Collection, The Attitude Era DVD, and ECW Vol. 2) for $70.  They have a code to use for anything over $60, which includes 20% off and free shipping.  When I checked out, they didn't have the Goldberg DVD, and now I'm kicking myself for not getting the Mankind instead of something else.

Reading through the past few pages, I don't really have anything constructive to add to the argument, but I did start thinking about how often the top tier guys face each other. Is it fair to say that in today's WWE, something that separates well thought of main eventers from guys perceived as boring is the ability to make the same match seem different month after month? For example, Bryan could fight Orton at three PPVs in a row and the build and feel for all of them would be different, while Del Rio could fight Orton three PPVs in a row and while the match quality would be good, I wouldn't ever feel like the story is progressing, or that any match past the first is required viewing.

I've not considered it as Big Show stealing the Yes! chant so much as him showing solidarity with Bryan in his fight with the Authority.

Except that's over, and done with. Bryan lost the fight, end of story.

Get outta here. Bryan has got a match with Triple H at 'Mania. Put money on it.

I've not considered it as Big Show stealing the Yes! chant so much as him showing solidarity with Bryan in his fight with the Authority.

Except that's over, and done with. Bryan lost the fight, end of story.

Get outta here. Bryan has got a match with Triple H at 'Mania. Put money on it.

There are just so many possible directions they could go with for Bryan at Mania.   HHH and Show are possibilities.  Beardy and the Best teaming at Survivor Series can be the start of a long-term partnership, leading to an Indie Powers explode angle.  HHH can lose confidence in Orton and make Sheamus his new face of the WWE, leading to Sheamus-Bryan and lots of references to their short match.  Maybe Total Divas can lead to them deciding that Cena-Bryan II is a legitimate Wrestlemania match (although the Summerslam buy rates say maybe not).