DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

I'm pretty sure the "Piggy James" thing had a different backstory...though still ridiculous.

Where the fuck is Evan Bourne? I don't remember the last time he appeared on TV. I looked at his wiki and it says TWO YEARS ago?! How is he still employed at this point? If my organization told me to sit home for two years but I'll still be paid...  not a bad deal.

Meltzer said a few days ago that sometimes people stick around longer than they should simply because WWE get worried about them doing interviews after they leave and what they might say. He was talking about JTG, who probably would have a lot of dirt to dish after the whole twitter thing, but it could apply to Evan too, I guess.

Where the fuck is Evan Bourne? I don't remember the last time he appeared on TV. I looked at his wiki and it says TWO YEARS ago?! How is he still employed at this point? If my organization told me to sit home for two years but I'll still be paid...  not a bad deal.

He's become the 2010s version of Lanny Poffo.

Meltzer said a few days ago that sometimes people stick around longer than they should simply because WWE get worried about them doing interviews after they leave and what they might say. He was talking about JTG, who probably would have a lot of dirt to dish after the whole twitter thing, but it could apply to Evan too, I guess.

What is the JTG/Twitter thing? Now that you bring him up, lets check out how he's doing...  Hmm  employed for 6 1/2 years now. Good for him.

Oh yes, Okay.. I forgot about that. The guy has some balls, I'll give him that..  Ryder pushing merch on RAW was both hilarious but maybe a little sad.. I don't love him or Bourne or JTG but it has to suck (even though they are still being paid) to sit around week after week and contribute nothing to the shows.

Edit: Speaking of Mickie James.. I knew she visited the performance center but now I'm seeing WWE.com has an interview up with her. RAW COUNTRY~!! Come on!!

They wont do it but they could revive the crusier division now and I think it'd get over shit they have a bunch of guys Bourne JTG Tatsu Kidd Hawkins even Kingston and Fandago would benefit fromit but they will never do it. I also think hey should make Otunga and Ryan a Powers of Pain type powerhouse tag team.

• Like 1

They wont do it but they could revive the crusier division now and I think it'd get over shit they have a bunch of guys Bourne JTG Tatsu Kidd Hawkins even Kingston and Fandago would benefit fromit but they will never do it. I also think hey should make Otunga and Ryan a Powers of Pain type powerhouse tag team.

I've had the same thought, except with Ryan and Big Zeke as the powerhouse team. Then again, I waste far too much time thinking up tag combos I'd like to see in the WWE. I've also favoured Ryan and Justin Gabriel in a little-and-large team purely because they've got the same haircut.

JTG and Hawkins should be put together as a jobber team so someone other than 3MB can lose to Los Matadores

• Like 2

I forgot about Justin Gabriel he could be the face of the cruiser division plus Sin Cara shit Caras WWE run might end up not being a bust IF they revived the Crusierweight Division. And Im all for Ryan and Zeke as a tag team.

We all know WWE cruiserweight division as anything other than Main Event filler is a pipe dream but even that not withstanding I just don't think Gabriel has the chops to be the "face" of the cruiserweights even if they brought the division back.

If Main Event was an hour of Cruiser and tag wrestling it'd be my favorite hour of wrestling of television. I miss WWE having a Mid Card.

You would think they would bring back the damn Cruiserweight title with all the shows they have. But the WWE has this stupid mindset that lower card matches should not outshine the main event. They bring back the Cruiserweight title and I would give it two or three weeks before all the news reports about "unnamed wwe stars being upset about the cruiserweights stealing their heat".

It would be nice though to see a whole bunch of Cruiserweight guys attack Hornswoggle for killing the division and take back the title belt.

If Main Event was an hour of Cruiser and tag wrestling it'd be my favorite hour of wrestling of television. I miss WWE having a Mid Card.

You would think they would bring back the damn Cruiserweight title with all the shows they have. But the WWE has this stupid mindset that lower card matches should not outshine the main event. They bring back the Cruiserweight title and I would give it two or three weeks before all the news reports about "unnamed wwe stars being upset about the cruiserweights stealing their heat".

It would be nice though to see a whole bunch of Cruiserweight guys attack Hornswoggle for killing the division and take back the title belt.

Every opinion you have is ass backwards

• Like 3

Just rewatched the Mexican Hardcore Falls Count Anywhere Match (Ciclope/Damien versus Silver King/La Parka) from 6/1999 WCW.

It's just a mind trip for so many reasons.

First off, there's the sheer spotfest insanity of the match.  It starts with La Parka hitting Ciclope (who's just hanging out on the apron like this is a normal tag match) with a chair and devolves from there, including La Parka hitting a Hank Aaron sized chairshot on Ciclope's suicide dive outside the ring. Then not 30 seconds later, Damian breaks up a Silver King dive to the outside by throwing the chair into his face. THere's a spot where Silver King throws a trash can over the head over Ciclope's head (great toss too, it just went right over his head perfectly), and then did the Ultimo Dragon flip to the outside, landing on top of the trashcan and probably making Ciclope two inches shorter.. Poor Ciclope then takes a tornado DDT from the apron to the table on the floor. (Seriously, Ciclope took about 1 stupid/dangerous spot per 90 seconds here)

Then you take it to the next level with Schiavone and Heenan just giggling over the whole match (including Schiavone caling Ciclope the Great Pumpkin) and just openly wondering why people keep getting up to take more abuse. Normally I'd be mad for them shitting over the whole thing, but the more that I think about it, this is the kind of match that deserves to be mocked and to have people wonder openly why anyone would keep getting up to do it. Finally Damien takes a powerbomb across two chairs that don't give AT ALL (he just really bounced off the seats of the chairs) 

It's just eight or so minutes of mind numbing spot after spot that makes you wonder if the WCW brass walked around the locker room saying "Hey guys? One of our promos got cut, does anyone want to go out there for 10 minutes or so and kill themselves for the crowd's amusement?" It's just. man.. in the days of concussions/CTE etcetera it's almost cringe inducing.

Still, if you';re into watching four people basically destroy each other and the announcers yukking it up the entire time, this match gets about 19,435 stars.
  • Like 1

The reality is it would put a stigma on potential main eventers. If they had kept the Cruiser belt, Punk and Bryan would be on their tenth reign. 

• Like 5

Just rewatched the Mexican Hardcore Falls Count Anywhere Match (Ciclope/Damien versus Silver King/La Parka) from 6/1999 WCW.

It's just a mind trip for so many reasons.

First off, there's the sheer spotfest insanity of the match.  It starts with La Parka hitting Ciclope (who's just hanging out on the apron like this is a normal tag match) with a chair and devolves from there, including La Parka hitting a Hank Aaron sized chairshot on Ciclope's suicide dive outside the ring. Then not 30 seconds later, Damian breaks up a Silver King dive to the outside by throwing the chair into his face. THere's a spot where Silver King throws a trash can over the head over Ciclope's head (great toss too, it just went right over his head perfectly), and then did the Ultimo Dragon flip to the outside, landing on top of the trashcan and probably making Ciclope two inches shorter.. Poor Ciclope then takes a tornado DDT from the apron to the table on the floor. (Seriously, Ciclope took about 1 stupid/dangerous spot per 90 seconds here)

Then you take it to the next level with Schiavone and Heenan just giggling over the whole match (including Schiavone caling Ciclope the Great Pumpkin) and just openly wondering why people keep getting up to take more abuse. Normally I'd be mad for them shitting over the whole thing, but the more that I think about it, this is the kind of match that deserves to be mocked and to have people wonder openly why anyone would keep getting up to do it. Finally Damien takes a powerbomb across two chairs that don't give AT ALL (he just really bounced off the seats of the chairs) 

It's just eight or so minutes of mind numbing spot after spot that makes you wonder if the WCW brass walked around the locker room saying "Hey guys? One of our promos got cut, does anyone want to go out there for 10 minutes or so and kill themselves for the crowd's amusement?" It's just. man.. in the days of concussions/CTE etcetera it's almost cringe inducing.

Still, if you';re into watching four people basically destroy each other and the announcers yukking it up the entire time, this match gets about 19,435 stars.

I had to watch it, ridiculous match, You forgot the trashcan lid shot where the lid flies off into the crowd, which is then apparantly caught by Schiavone.

From doing some research this match was almost directly up against the High Power reveal on Raw!!!

Just for posterity, the other Nitro matches that night were:

Hak vs. Prince Iaukea,

Lenny Lane vs. Scotty Riggs,

DDP & Bam Bam vs. Flair & Benoit that ended up having Benoit & Saturn win the belts but also included Arn Anderson, & Kanyon run ins.

Ernest Miller vs. Horace Hogan

Bobby Duncum Jr. vs. Rey Mysterio Jr.

Disco vs. Buff

Savage vs. Sting

and some folks wonder why WCW died.

Sheesh

More thoughts: this match could be better three ways: A) Twice as long, so the insane spots are more stretched out B ) Getting rid of or toning down some of the more insane spots, and C) Having Joey Styles call it.

The reality is it would put a stigma on potential main eventers. If they had kept the Cruiser belt, Punk and Bryan would be on their tenth reign. 

This is the answer. I do think tend to think they're booking the World Heavyweight Title into absurdity, and would quite like to see it replaced with a mid-card TV Title or 6 Man Titles though.

Any chance that the landscape has changed. Nowadays the biggest combat sports stars are not the heavyweights, Mayweather, Pacquiao, St Pierre, heck even Ronda Rousey is a bigger star than most heavyweights right now. Of course WWE would never correctly book an important non-heavyweight division, but maybe if another company wants to become a true competitor to WWE they can use a Middleweight and lower division to differentiate themselves from WWE. 

• Like 2

Had heard Shaul returned to training after finishing college, if I'm not mistaken.

WWE's in this weird spot where they have SO many women on the payroll.  I'm still shocked that they haven't brought back the Women's Tag Titles for the sake of putting them on the Bellas(who, to their credit, HAVE improved a lot).