DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

WrestleMania 21 Highlight Video - Still one of the better ones the WWE has done.  I miss these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXrWh3fAB9U

We haven't had those videos recapping the night's WrestleMania since XXVI. I really miss them.

With you mentioning WrestleMania, I wounder if WrestleMania XXX will last as long as WrestleMania XX? I remember that going longer than four hours instead of the usually 3 and a half hour plus WrestleMania's.

What's with this "Country RAW"? Is Vince trying to start a new relationship with southern wrasslin fans because of the recent shitty ratings?

Appearances by the Honky Tonk Man, Mickie James, and Jimmie Wang Yang, a Smoking Gunns reunion, and 3MB covers the West Texas Rednecks' "Rap Is Crap".  Bunkhouse Buck returns as Papa Swagger and interacts with Zeb Coulter.

Papa Swagger better be a working some Voodoo for his boy.

They've been friends for almost 20 years, and Regal did mentor Hunter way back when.  I have to figure Regal's set for life with a job, both because of that, and because he has so much to teach.

Man, Regal did a damn good job of picking his closest friends in WCW.  Austin, Foley, Trips...

I was watching Ultimate Warrior vs. Savage and at I immediately thought "No way Warrior is gonna lay down clean" and sure enough Rude came down for some schenanigans. 

It got me thinking, who has done the fewest amount of jobs in they're career, clean or unclean. And let's focus on when a wrestler became a certain character so no Terry Bolera jobs from when he was starting out.

Names that immediately pop to mind:

Hulk Hogan: This may not be the case since when he got to WCW he did quite a few jobs for Arm Anderson, Luger, Piper, but in the long run I'd love to know how he stacks up.

Goldberg: Nash....uhhh... I tuned out a lot when he was in WWE but I'm drawing a blank.

JYD: Wasn't he unbeatable in Mid South?

Ultimate Warrior: I don't know a ton about him as he was before my time but with that character he can't lose very much.

Andre the Giant: Same as above.

Tazz in ECW: Bam Bam through the ring, Awesome to give up the belt, what else?

Roddy Piper: I can't recall him ever losing though he's mostly an angle guy.

Brock Lesnar before he came back: Eddy, Big Show, did he lose to Undertaker?

I'm not too knowledgeable about foreign wrestling but Inoki, Baba and Mil Mascaras come to mind. I'd be curious to find out.

how long have they been advertising Country Raw (local notwithstanding)? would not be surprised at all if they just looked at the overnights for the CMA's and threw that together in day.

I'm pretty sure this is the first week they've advertised it. Local ads have been playing for months, but nothing about it being "country" themed. "Appearances by Vince & Stephanie McMahon and Triple H" and the "Nashville debut" of the Wyatt Family were the only things really pushed. Not reading too much into the Vince thing, I don't think that'll happen.

That brings up something I've curious about: Anyone know how many matches Goldberg lost during his career in total? It's gotta be a pretty small number.

From what I can remember:

Starrcade '98 VS Nash

Starrcade '99 VS Bret (Montreal Screw Job finish)

Fall Brawl '00 VS Scott Steiner

Sin (w/Dewayne Bruce) against Totally Buff (ate the pin after being maced by a fan and a Doomsday Blockuster)

Armageddon '03 IIRC he ate the pin in the triple threat against HHH & Kane.

Found a site that also has:

10/25/99: lost U.S. title to Bret

12/20/99: lost Starrcade re-match to Bret

7/24/00: lost to Booker T

So there's at least 8 televised jobs in Goldberg's career.

Watched the Beyond Wrestlng "Americanrana" event on SMV on Demand and that was a hell of a show.

Awesome crowd, wXw style, but better as sometimes I feel the wXw fans are waaaaaaaaay into the action and pop for every move which leads to the matches to be too long and have too much moves and turned me a bit off from the stuff I've seen from them.

These dudes were great. The opener is Shane Strickland vs David Starr vs Latin Dragon vs Sozio and man, those guys work hard on CZW and all, but when they put a hot opener to a hot crowd it's just great stuff. It's just great to see a positive environment where the fans are into stuffing instead of potatoes and into the work.

On that theme, Gulak and Dickinson also have a match years better than their CZW Title match. They just wrestled and the crowd was into it. I think it's great that Gulak is trying to have longer and more serious matches rather than only present his heel stitch, I like to see him a lot. One thing that I like in him is that he understands how to kick out at 1 and still sell the fuck out. Just because you're hurt doesn't mean you cannot kick out at 1, if you do it just to prove a point despite the fact that you are seriously hurt the crowd will love you and respect you way more than if you start screaming and running after being dropped on your head.

Third match is this:

3. Team TREMENDOUS vs. EYFBO vs. M1nute Men vs. Da Hoodz 

Never saw none of these dudes, they all seemed indy geeks until Team Tremendous showed up with their awesome detectives gimmick which included them interrogating one of the geeks while chopping him in the corner and using the bad cop/ good cop strategy. They do some comedy and then they start an awesome spot fest with a powerbomb reversed to a hurricanrana to the outside of the ring (they were cached by all the other dudes who dived previously) that blew my mind.

Yes, this is the kind of match that you enjoy better when you don't know any of the wrestlers and are totally surprised by the crazy moves they pulled off, but I loved this and my mindset was "meh, I may as well watch this one".

I may as well do a match by match short analysis.

4. Tarbanark De Team vs. #KOA

The Tarbanak dudes were heel Canadian and the crowd decided that instead of chanting "USA! USA!" they may as well sing the American Anthem and Hulk Hogan's Real American theme. Yes, it's the crowd trying to get over but it's related to the match and the dudes did some Hogan spots so it was fine and fun.

All for dudes were bald or very short haired and had similar trunks which confused me.

5. Colt Cabana vs. Jaka

Standard Colt Cabana match. Nothing wrong with that. He put over Jaka's gimmick of having a hard (is this the right word?) head and they did some comedy over Jaka's bare feet stinking. Short fun match, again, nothing wrong with that.

6. Kevin Steen vs. MASADA

Good match, nothing too crazy as Masada was hurting bad from his knee and they had more of a standard wrestling match than a crazy brawl. Both shine the most when they're going all crazy but I don't think that was to be expected here. Crowd was a bit so-so until the final sequences where they went crazy for Steen's Sleeper Suplex (which I don't like at all) and when Masada sticked his skewers on Steen's head. This was a flawless one hit sticking and all the skewers were fucking stucked, Masada then Piledrove Steen for the biggest pop and then Steen won with the Sharpshooter and then did a promo putting Masada over.

7. Johnny Gargano vs. JT Dunn

Gargano is great. Carried this match but lot's of credit for JT Dunn. He doesn't have the presence that a wrestler should have - yet - and is just a dude doing moves, but he did everything right and his timing was good. This was a great Gargano match and I am a big mark at this point.

They did great moves, great sequences, they sold the effort and pain of the match, they had great near falls without ridiculous kick outs. Great, I love this shit, not much to say. 

8. AR Fox vs. Anthony Stone

A lot of mixed feelings about AR Fox. He does some great stuff but he also lacks some fundamentals, and his basic chain wrestling is indecent, and his forearm strikes and so are terrible. Stone is an high flyer, you won't see him in ROH or TNA, he has not the elegance of movement or agility that you expect to see in a great high flyer, but the crowd was into him and they did cool spots, very cool spots. They botch some stuff but I didn't care, I guess that the positive atmosphere surrounding this show helped in that regard. They tried to have the best match they could and I respect that and I enjoyed it, but still very clumsy at several points.

9. Eddie Edwards vs. Biff Busick

This was what made me buy this. I like Busick a lot and Eddie Edwards brings the best out of everyone. Intense match, some hard chopping, some very crisp mat/chain wrestling, and a match very well putted together.

For some reason, I can write a lot more about matches that I disliked or think were flawless than about these kind of matches that I just watch in aw. I don't know why this was good nor I care to understand except that both guys are very good pro wrestler. Here is a sample of the match:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eDJFRwUSno

I'm so glad I watched this show. Denver Colorado did tape commentary by himself, I usually hate the dude but he was spot on on this show.

Crowd was great.

Bryce Remsburg was there and is always great to see him.

Everybody had a great time, all the wrestlers loved to perform. 

I haven't seen such a positive atmosphere and a crowd so into a product in a long time (except for PWG, duh). Much better than ROH.

If you like indy wrestling you should check this out.

Here is a playlist with stuff from the show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMZ3g9A69Gg&list=PLTAHHzhIYmVaYT0hPkYI4mG3S5t47csoc

Source: Wrestleview.com

Zema Ion Interview with Quinn's AM army to hype his upcoming appearance for Primal Conflict Wrestling on November 30th.

Cliff notes:

-Confirms he's still under contract to TNA for "quite a while" but is free to take whatever outside dates he wants to right now. He admits he hasn't had much communication with TNA in recent months.

-Says thankfully he doesn't have cancer like was initially thought by doctors

-Addresses the controvery over his fundraiser for his medical bills, says he never expected TNA to pay his medical bills because he's an "independent contractor" and he knows how that works.

-Admits someone at the TNA office got mad at him for making the company look bush league with the fundraiser, but he told them flat out he needed the money and that was the reality of the situation.

-Says his girlfriend actually started the GoFundMe account and, since she doesn't know much about wrestling, she didn't realize the political problems that would potentially arise because of it and how it could negatively affect his TNA career.

-Says that even though he didn't get anything close to the $30,000 needed, he was still overwhelmed by the fan support and the money he did get helped.

-Says he would like to go to WWE one day, but is happy with where he is now.

WWE should give Ion a shot. He'll never be a main event guy, but I liked his act in TNA. He's got more charisma than Kidd, Jinder, etc. 

Alex Wright would be something since he's only 6 years older than Cesaro is.

I vote for Billy Robinson. Maybe they can have him teach Cesaro the magic of the butterfly suplex and double wrist lock like I desperately wanted them to do with Wade Barrett when he was exiled from Nexus.

That brings up something I've curious about: Anyone know how many matches Goldberg lost during his career in total? It's gotta be a pretty small number.

From what I can remember:

Starrcade '98 VS Nash

Starrcade '99 VS Bret (Montreal Screw Job finish)

Fall Brawl '00 VS Scott Steiner

Sin (w/Dewayne Bruce) against Totally Buff (ate the pin after being maced by a fan and a Doomsday Blockuster)

Armageddon '03 IIRC he ate the pin in the triple threat against HHH & Kane.

Found a site that also has:

10/25/99: lost U.S. title to Bret

12/20/99: lost Starrcade re-match to Bret

7/24/00: lost to Booker T

So there's at least 8 televised jobs in Goldberg's career.

A dark match loss to Chad Fortune.