DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

I thought Davey and Eddie sucked? They show up to a wrestling camp and outclass everyone there? How does that work?

1. They're both amazing athletes, so it doesn't surprise me they showed everyone up in drills.2. I still think both can be damn good when they're not being self-parodies. That's why I like midcard Davey a hell of a lot more than main event Davey. He tones down that nonsense.

I'm watching One Night Stand 2006, and, man.. this is one of the only times I wish Cena would have won. Based purely on the crowd reaction alone. Sabu could have beat Mysterio. That finish still confuses me. Unless one of them legit got injured. I can't remember.

I'm cracking up at that release. :lol: That's too damn funny. There's going to be so much crying on various wrestling websites tomorrow. "WWE is retarded! They don't know what they're doing! Fuck WWE!" I can already see it. :P

Well, the people saying that would be 100% correct.

Trailer for the new Paul Roma shoot interview-

This looks potentially interesting as he's someone who has been around enough to have a lot of good stories and he seems to not be holding back.  I'm also amazed at how good he looks compared to most guys in the business his age.

I'm watching One Night Stand 2006, and, man.. this is one of the only times I wish Cena would have won. Based purely on the crowd reaction alone. Sabu could have beat Mysterio. That finish still confuses me. Unless one of them legit got injured. I can't remember.

The two ECW One Night Stand PPV's, the ECW TV in Philly and the Hammerstein Ballroom made for great atomspheres. Can't remember Sabu or Mysterio getting injured so protect 'em both?

Going by Wade Barrett's promos and mere look, he looks like he could be a main eventer. But, to be honest, I've never seen any of his matches (after NXT). Has he had any memorable matches?

The Smackdown Elimination Chamber match at Elimination Chamber 2011, the Smackdown Money in the Bank match at the Money in the Bank 2011 PPV and vs. Daniel Bryan in a steel cage on the post SummerSlam 2013 Smackdown.

Going by Wade Barrett's promos and mere look, he looks like he could be a main eventer. But, to be honest, I've never seen any of his matches (after NXT). Has he had any memorable matches?

He is just a victim of overachieving when they did push him. He was just okay in the ring, but that didn't matter because the guy was money on the mic and in segments. Eventually he crashed and got buried (under a shit ton of chairs) and jobbed to fucking Zeke Jackson and that was it for him.

Most of his matches outside of his big main event push have been against "who fucking cares?" guys and Randy Orton. I think Wade tends to work well with everyone but Orton. They didn't have any chemistry. Orton couldn't sell for a shit. The crowd didn't care unless Orton was on the offense. When they finally figured out something between them, one or the either got injured. But that didn't matter because they had way too many matches against each other in which Orton won them all, so there was no reason to try to care.

Most of his matches with Sheamus are so fucking awesome. They had a tables match that wasn't just them teasing table spots. They build the story around Sheamus being a straight forward brawler while Wade knew the rules of the match. They had some great ones last year too.

Kofi and Santino usually ping around for him good.

I think Barrett really shows up for PPV's but that doesn't matter when you are booked against a bunch of "who fucking cares?" guys. Despite people shitting all over the finish, the Summerslam 2010 Nexus vs WWE match was awesome. Wade didn't do much outside of the finish, but the little things like using his size to calm his guys down after the big entrance or patting Skip Sheffield on the back were great touches. Then the Hell in a Cell PPV match with Cena was the only thing to speak of that show. It had a big time match feeling, something at the time that was really, really missing. The Summerslam 2011 match with DB was fantastic, tho heatless. The Elimination Chamber 2012 match was about him, Santino and the Big Show to me.

So, I am browsing WWEShop.com and it donned on me, "I didn't even realize Sheamus was gone." That's usually a bad sign for a main eventer, right?

Also, these exists.

How about the Ryback hats and stalkings?  What douche would want any of those?  I'm not even sure Ryback would want those.

More the reason to make him wear them on Raw tbh I haven't been impressed by Ryback at all, but damn it him in a Ryback Santa hat would change my mind instantly. Tho the gingerbread men ornaments are too damn cute. Might by the Cena one.

The "Simply Ravishing" t-shirt is fucking awesome. I might just order that because why not. For my second t-shirt... how about the K8LYN Militia? Maybe she'll finally notice me

I think all of the retro shirts are awesome sans the Legends one with the Brady Bunch set up. HBK not only seems out of place, they picked a recent picture while the others were in the 80's. Just seems odd.

The Hero release makes a ton of sense.  WWE told him to get in better shape and he did...then he kinda stopped looking better...started looking worse.  And stopped making a show that he was trying to lose weight and in a Vince McMahon/Triple H WWE, you can't do that.  I mean, if your dream is to be in WWE, you've got to reconcile yourself to the fact that if you're not a specific character (big Bulgarian dude, massive hillbilly battler), you're going to have to at least make a show that you're trying to get into top shape, if not actually being in top shape.  There was a story that WWE told him that he needed to be in better shape, and he refused to do the extra work to get into better shape.  It's clear WWE HAD major plans for him, putting him into a program with Regal, putting him into a program with the Wyatts, and they felt he didn't work enough in the gym to reciprocate their attention.  

You can argue all you want that being ripped/cut has nothing to do with in-ring ability and, to a degree, you'd be right, but you can't argue that you don't have to be in shape to be in WWE.  It's like modeling.  If you want to model and you're overweight, it won't impact your ability to pose for photos or walk down a runway.  If you want to model and you're overweight, most companies aren't going to hire you, because that's not the image you want.  WWE is an image-based business, so if want to work there, hit the gym!

Wade Barrett is a channel changer for me. Is like the 21st century Jake Roberts to me. Good promo, good character, good presence, but once that bell rings...I just do not care. He doesn't put on any stinkers, but he is definitely a guy I can do without.

The Paul Roma video looks intresting. I want to get it now!

Barrett's problem is twofold.

First, the worst spot in the company (other than being an indy darling w/o a bankable look) is to be wedged between the intercontinental/us title picture and the world title picture. When you're in that spot, half the time you're trading wins to guys beneath you like Miz/Kofi. The other half of the time you are losing over and over again to the Ortons/Cenas of the world. It's the spot Ziggler was in for years and it cements your fate.

The second problem is Barrett's wrestling style is completely uninspiring. He needs a moveset that fits his image as a rugged bare knuckle brawler. Instead he's nailing black hole slams.

The second problem is Barrett's wrestling style is completely uninspiring. He needs a moveset that fits his image as a rugged bare knuckle brawler. Instead he's nailing black hole slams.

What about changing his image to fit his moveset?

A Test cosplayer?

• Like 1

I don't even think it was that he didn't get in shape. It's that they told him to do something (anything) and he didn't do it. 

Oh I definitely agree.  I mean he was in there with Luke Harper and you can clearly see Harper has a bit of a gut on him, but he obviously is working hard toward it.  I was mainly trying to nip those "Wrestling isn't a bodybuilding show!" detractors in the bud.

I also heartily agree.  They put together this video package of Wade Barrett in some sort of (male model)  underground fight club and it's really interesting, then he comes back and he's wearing pro wrestling gear, doing pro wrestling moves, talking like a pro wrestler.  He should've come back with the beard, wearing jeans and a tanktop (or just jeans if need be) and had his offence based almost entirely around strikes.  If nothing else, he would have at least stood out a bit.

JohnnyJ, on 09 Nov 2013 - 2:10 PM, said:Posted Image

He started doing his really cool Stan Hansen inspired version of the Bull Hammer Elbow(which was starting to get over with the live fans), but then they pulled him off TV.

http://youtu.be/VmzR_q_eKLE