DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

About Mark Henry - he's someone I prefer to watch wrestling guys I don't care for (Orton, for instance) because I get to see them get wrecked. Put him in with someone I'm more of a fan of, and my enjoyment will be less than you might expect. The exception would be any time Henry and another big guy are set up in a Clash of the Titans style slugfest where they appear to be on even footing.

I'm a mark at heart, so unless both guys are compelling, I enjoy matches more when my guy isn't the subject of extended heat segments/beatdowns. Unless your name is Ziggler or Rollins, there's a limit to how entertaining constantly selling and stooging can be.

I think most of what makes Henry good is just he's a comfortable veteran. So many eager insecure guys showing a little green, and then the big strong tough guy who knows how to get the job done. Lets the charisma show instead of forcing it. Past that you get into the whole "what are you trying to see" spectrum.

After watching SmackDown people better start putting Langston v Reigns on the dream match list.

They are building the hype on this so well. I hope they don't touch each other until Survivor Series.

Give me -

Shield + Real Americans

vs

Usos, Rhodes Boys and Langston.

Hogan is gross and wrecked and has shit tattoos. He offers nothing, and I enjoyed him even when he was beating Michaels and Orton.

That may well be true, yet I still find the guy compelling.  I'm sure when it comes to some wrestlers, I find charisma and talent where none actually exists.  There's always something in every wrestler that appeals to me, no matter how minute or inexplicable.

• Like 1

Watched Hogan/Michaels this weekend, and I swear, holy hijinks! That bump off this one headsmash to the buckle .... the one with the half-twist into a somersault back bump? AJ Styles used that for a finisher once. Prob most athletic thing I've seen Michaels do.

I don't want to see Hogan ever again.

I wouldn't mind a Hogan cameo at Mania. Something like 3MB interrupting a celebrity and Real American hits and Hogan comes down to clean house. Could you imagine the bumps that Heath Slater would take in that situation?

3MB beating on Hogan and then Warrior runs in for the save = $$$$$$$

• Like 2

You know, I outgrew the complete hatred of Hogan that I had in my late teens/early 20's.  (Although I will probably never fully forgive him for coming into WCW and destroying the greatest run of a wrestling company even in 1994...)  I actually think Hogan from 84 until 87 or so was a vastly underrated in-ring performer, and was still fairly decent up into the mid 90's.

But good lord do I not have any use for current day Hogan

I don't get the hate for Black Reign. I liked the character and Dustin was a fine brawler. It is not his best work, but it is not bad either. 

I hated it because it was such an obvious Goldust ripoff.  It just seemed to exemplify Vince Russo's uncreativity (if that's a word) to me.

I think I probably have some different tastes than everyone else on here. I've spent a lot of time going down Sabu spotfests in ECW. I think Sabu is legitimately my favorite wrestler of all-time. I doubt anyone else will think this on here because his stuff takes so long to set up and can look ridiculous but I don't care. His stuff that's so crazy to set up is usually completely insane and he pretty much would die. I also am a total mark for old RVD in ECW stuff. 

Sabu is the real, bubba. And I'm with you on ECW RVD. I haven't gone back revisited that stuff but his match with Balls Mahoney is one of my favorites and him and Sabu were a fun tag team. Maybe I won't like it as much as I remember, but I doubt it. Nostalgia fucks with the mind. That may be why I still get hype for present day Sabu. I don't care how beat up he is, Sabu throwing a chair > whatever the fuck else is going on in wrestling.

• Like 2

Speaking of Chikara earlier, what is the popluar opinion of the ranking - goodest to least so - of the Ciberneticos? I feel like this has been asked (but I could be confused with Chikara 101).

I think I probably have some different tastes than everyone else on here. I've spent a lot of time going down Sabu spotfests in ECW. I think Sabu is legitimately my favorite wrestler of all-time. I doubt anyone else will think this on here because his stuff takes so long to set up and can look ridiculous but I don't care. His stuff that's so crazy to set up is usually completely insane and he pretty much would die. I also am a total mark for old RVD in ECW stuff. I still also love all the Amazing Red/SAT spot fest stuff from back in the day. I also loved the entire Nexus angle from start-to-finish and am seemingly one of three people left who things The Authority story rules.

I like a lot of stuff that no one else likes anymore but whatever -- as long as you can say why you like things in a somewhat decent matter, everyone is fine with it. We're all Mark Henry marks here but if you can say why you're not into him other than "he's boring" then we'll be cool with it. Probably. I mean, it's Mark Henry we're talking about. Dude rules. Come on, son.

Gregg,

You back your shit up more than anyone else on the board. You go on and on about it. We can't get you to shut up. That you have esoteric views is fine because you make an effort in understanding and presenting at all turns. But god can you type essays about everything.

• Like 1

You know, I outgrew the complete hatred of Hogan that I had in my late teens/early 20's. (Although I will probably never fully forgive him for coming into WCW and destroying the greatest run of a wrestling company even in 1994...) I actually think Hogan from 84 until 87 or so was a vastly underrated in-ring performer, and was still fairly decent up into the mid 90's.But good lord do I not have any use for current day Hogan

I feel the same way. I hated him in WCW, because I'm a huge mark for Vader and Flair and I hated seeing them have to put Hogan over. But I can watch Hogan matches more objectively now, and while he certainly adhered to the same match formula way too religiously, I have a greater appreciation for his athleticism and charisma. He really is sort of a pure distillation of pro wrestling.

I typically enjoy Hogan, but I have to comment on Brian Fowler's post and state that 1994-95 Hogan is downright AWFUL. He just kills everything that he's involved in. At one point, he's gone from TV in some sort of worked suspension, and the shows that are headed up by Savage trying to end Flair as a living being and Luger and Sting having their "will he turn or won't he" angle, with The Giant and Dungeon of Doom sprinkled in there are just AMAZING. Like, astoundingly good, fast-paced television.

Then Hogan comes back and is annoying and shitty doing his '80s schtick, taking up too much time and heat from a bunch of performers that were gold otherwise.

If it weren't for most of the modern Hogan stuff he would be remembered much more fondly. I will admit that the 12 year old me loved the street fight he had with Vince, though that was more for evil Vince than anything else. The first Rock match aside, he has kind of tainted his legacy with his modern stuff.

With the admittance of people who love old Sabu matches, I think everyone has that wrestler or era that they love and will always cherish. Even if it goes out of style, it doesn't diminish it.

If it weren't for most of the modern Hogan stuff he would be remembered much more fondly. I will admit that the 12 year old me loved the street fight he had with Vince, though that was more for evil Vince than anything else. The first Rock match aside, he has kind of tainted his legacy with his modern stuff.

With the admittance of people who love old Sabu matches, I think everyone has that wrestler or era that they love and will always cherish. Even if it goes out of style, it doesn't diminish it.

I disagree a bit, actually. Hogan's WWE return in 2002 was the best he ever was.

His old vet character made his matches amazing. He was worn down and old, and you could physically beat him down and do things like get him to tap out now where that was completely unheard of when he was in his prime. However, he was still Hulk Hogan, and if you weren't careful, 47-year-old Hogan would channel up 30-year-old Hogan and then it was all HULK UP, FINGER WAG, YOOOUUUUUU, BIG BOOT, LEGDROP and it would be like eight-year-old me watching him come back against some monster of the month all over again. It was glorious.

He was like an old QB with a dying arm and lessening mobility that has one more four-hundred-yard, five TD game somewhere inside him for the prime-time audience at home. It was great. I actually wanted to see him recapture that greatness, if only for the five minutes that it would take for him to sneak out a victory. 

• Like 5

Hang on, are people saying Sabu is a GUILTY pleasure for them? Because there is nothing wrong with loving Sabu.

I don't feel guilty about any pleasuring I receive. Not one bit.

• Like 1

Speaking of Chikara earlier, what is the popluar opinion of the ranking - goodest to least so - of the Ciberneticos? I feel like this has been asked (but I could be confused with Chikara 101).

Tough call between the BDK/Chikara Originals one and KOW/Dark Breed vs. Technicos one. BDK was much more storyline driven, where as the other one, to me, had the best overall in ring work between so many flat good wrestlers.

Yet Shane Storm made the final two.

I think I probably have some different tastes than everyone else on here. I've spent a lot of time going down Sabu spotfests in ECW. I think Sabu is legitimately my favorite wrestler of all-time. I doubt anyone else will think this on here because his stuff takes so long to set up and can look ridiculous but I don't care. His stuff that's so crazy to set up is usually completely insane and he pretty much would die. I also am a total mark for old RVD in ECW stuff. I still also love all the Amazing Red/SAT spot fest stuff from back in the day. I also loved the entire Nexus angle from start-to-finish and am seemingly one of three people left who things The Authority story rules.

I like a lot of stuff that no one else likes anymore but whatever -- as long as you can say why you like things in a somewhat decent matter, everyone is fine with it. We're all Mark Henry marks here but if you can say why you're not into him other than "he's boring" then we'll be cool with it. Probably. I mean, it's Mark Henry we're talking about. Dude rules. Come on, son.

Gregg,

You back your shit up more than anyone else on the board. You go on and on about it. We can't get you to shut up. That you have esoteric views is fine because you make an effort in understanding and presenting at all turns. But god can you type essays about everything.

If you think I type a lot you should hear me speak! It's even worse.

• Like 2