DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

I love heel Mark Henry in the ring. He's always looming, always stalking you in order to rip you apart, something like Jaws except instead of that "dun-nun" music, there's just a stream of shit-talking to warn you that he's coming. 

Face Mark Henry is fun for when he comes out smiling at the thought of murdering the cowardly heel in the ring. Then he murders the cowardly heel in the ring. What isn't fun about that? 

All of these people that love Mark Henry probably loved Giant Haystacks and other fat wrestlers that were/are boring. It's no use even trying to argue a point defending your opinion, kid, because nothing will get through to them. They'll come back with stuff you've already seen, like "WHAT? NO ENOUGH FLIPZZZZ? LOL!".

Giant Haystacks never bumped like Mark Henry. I've seen Henry take guardrails, barriers, and tables apart. He's an awesome big bumper for such a big guy, too. It seems like a huge thing when he actually does it. 

No doubt. Can't really deny that, for a big man, he's a hell of a bumper and works well with a lot of dudes that you wouldn't expect he'd gel with. There's just heaps and heaps of other people in WWE I'd rather watch on RAW or Smackdown before I sit through a Mark Henry match.

I think Henry is hit or miss, if he is basically squashing someone, he tends to be a bit on the boring side. However, Henry vs. Someone who can put up a believable fight against him usually makes for a damn good match. I'd kill to see him against Goldust or Cesaro currently.

No he doesn't.

Yeah, he does.

Really and why is that? "NOT ENOUGH FLIPZZZ"

Seriously outside of the Daniel Bryan, Punk, and Rey Mysterio matches can anyone name another really good to great Henry match? I like Henry as a character, but when it's time to deliver in big matches he tends to fail a lot.

You didn't like the Henry match against Cena earlier this year, the Henry/Orton series from a couple years ago, or Henry's work against Matt Hardy on ECW? That's just off the top of my head. Honestly, I watched the Undertaker WM streak DVD on Netflix a few months back, and I found Henry/Taker to be the best Taker WM match of like the last decade, too.

No doubt. Can't really deny that, for a big man, he's a hell of a bumper and works well with a lot of dudes that you wouldn't expect he'd gel with. There's just heaps and heaps of other people in WWE I'd rather watch on RAW or Smackdown before I sit through a Mark Henry match.

If you're not into super-heavyweights, you're just not. I totally understand. Personally, I only watch WWE for Cena, Henry, Bryan, and Cesaro at this point. They are the only four guys that either a) kill it in big matches every time or B) do amazing spots that I want to see or c) both. 

'Seriously outside of the Daniel Bryan, Punk, and Rey Mysterio matches can anyone name another really good to great Henry match? I like Henry as a character, but when it's time to deliver in big matches he tends to fail a lot.'

Just off the top of my head I would say vs Big Show from MITB & Vengeance 2011, Sheamus from Summerslam 2011, and vs Cena from MITB 2013, and Orton from NOC 2011

Mark Henry is probably one of my top five wrestling characters in the WWE over the past five years.  The only people I can think of on his level is just-turned-on-Morrison R-Truth, Nexus Wade Barrett, Jeri-Show Jericho and Big Show, probably a few others I can't remember, and maybe pipebomb CM Punk (although, that character died a swift death for me on the wrestler walkout / begs Triple H to wear his blazer RAW, and then nobody properly buried his corpse and it started stinking the place up with "snicklefrits" and lame alcohol skits with Jericho).  There are specific things in Mark Henry matches that are amazing (like the end of the first Henry/Orton match where he pushed a spent Orton away from an RKO attempt and loomed over him) and even whole matches that are pretty good (Henry/Cena from this year), but the majority of the time his wrestling doesn't produce any narrative effect on me.  It's just boilerplate WWE kickipunch.

• Like 1

Of things people haven't already mentioned for the reading comprehension challenged: The Sheamus feud had multiple good matches. The Orton feud had good matches. The Big Show feud had great matches. Then there's the Evan Bourne series from ECW. There's the CM Punk series from last year. 

As for why we generally look down on people who don't like Mark Henry, it's because a lot of what he does that stands out is nuanced. Yes, there's the obvious presence and great looking offense, but Henry does so many of the little things so well, and you actually have to pay attention and think to notice it. Frankly, if you are paying attention and thinking and giving a damn about what you're watching, you really can't miss it. It's that obvious. In fact it's so obvious that I'm okay sounding like a dick about it. If you don't like Mark Henry and you can't understand what he does well, then you really aren't very good at watching and understanding pro wrestling and how it works. 

That's okay too, though. I think FSW would be glad to help you learn.

• Like 4

Smiling babyface Henry is awesome. Go watch the Orton gauntlet the night he was drafted to Raw.

One of the best Raw moments EVER.

I watched this great 2012 interview with Big Show yesterday, really enjoy Pete Rosenberg's interviews. From about 4.00 onwards he talks about working as a big guy. When you read the crap that a lot of online wrestling fans spout about anyone over 300lbs, this should be required reading. From around 8.00 onwards he talks about the Henry fued. The WWE are really lucky right now that they have some big guys who are determined to go down in history as the best of their kind. You see a motivation in Show, Henry and Kane to be seen as all time greats and that is worth a ton (the Henry interview with Rosenberg is great). I honestly think the biggest talent issue facing them is the lack of big guys coming through.

Let us not be aggressive Vic, we are here to educate not conquer.Are there big dudes you do like, pal? What about Vader?

I liked Vader and enjoyed a lot of his work in WWF actually. Lots of underrated matches that people sleep on b/c he was basically on jobber duty after 1996. Also, don't know if they count as "big dude" wrestlers but I'm a huge fan of Stan Hansen and Terry Gordy. Those guys just seemed to do a lot more in the ring.

Are there any potential heel turns (on someone else) left in the WWE that would genuinely mean anything without sounding contrived?

I think a Kofi heel turn would be pretty interesting. If he just snapped and took out Punk or Cena. It would be so out of character for him that I think people would get into it. He's real life friends with Punk so that could be played off of.

Let us not be aggressive Vic, we are here to educate not conquer.Are there big dudes you do like, pal? What about Vader?

I liked Vader and enjoyed a lot of his work in WWF actually. Lots of underrated matches that people sleep on b/c he was basically on jobber duty after 1996. Also, don't know if they count as "big dude" wrestlers but I'm a huge fan of Stan Hansen and Terry Gordy. Those guys just seemed to do a lot more in the ring.

I'm going to outright say that you don't get it and I'm honestly sorry for you, because there's so much more to wrestling than "doing a lot in the ring." I think mostly all of us felt that way at some point in our life though. We grew out of it.

I know it sounds hard to believe, but so much about why Henry is so good is because of what he DOESN'T do in the ring.

Are there any potential heel turns (on someone else) left in the WWE that would genuinely mean anything without sounding contrived?

I think Bryan and Punk working together after the attacks by the Wyatts, leading to a long-term angle where Punk turns on Bryan, revealing himself to be a hypocritical douchebag, makes sense.