DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

As long as there's a place where BINGO is not presently being played.As long as there's a fat tub of goo in camo shorts, a cut up Megadeth shirt, and a desire to tell kids in the front row to know their roles and shut their mouths.As long as there's another fat tub of goo who has a desire to watch grown men roll around on a mat while chanting "Show Your Tits!" at women.There will always be indie wrestling.

True as that may be, if all the capable athletes are going into WWE's system from the get go and bypassing the indie route, then we're gonna end up with a shitload of Attitude-era hasbeens and The Infamous Midlothian Show all over the country. No thanks. Unless CHIKARA or something like it takes it upon itself to be wrestling's version of Rocky Horror and make it not at all serious.

It seems like the WWE believes that its long term success is based on having wrestlers who have the size and athletic ability of NFL players.

Going the typical route of becoming a professional wrestler is such a crap shoot that only the diehard fans are entering the profession.

The performance center is an opportunity for the WWE to locate top level talent who may not have considered wrestling as a career and bring them into the fold.

I don't see it having a greater effect on the indies than they already do.

The peak days of the indies are now over. It was a strange period where talented unorthodox wrestlers were being slept on by WWE.

I said this once in the NCAA thread. If Vince can somehow convince 19 year old Florida State QB Jameis Winston to jump to the WWE instead of the NFL they would have a bona fied once in a generation superstar on their hands instantly. 

You guys worrying about missing out on vanilla midget flippy dudes are missing one huge problem: a new, good big man hasn't debuted since Big Show. That's why we need the Performance Centre.

And before you start on with HOW ABOUT BROCK or YOU FORGOT BATISTA I mean proper big men. Not large, muscular dudes.

• Like 1

If WWE was ever going to do something with the divas division I think now is the time. Total Divas was a big success on E! and they have quite a bit of talent. AJ takes some great bumps and her submission is over. The Bellas have both improved, Brie probably more so than Nikki but I would say they've gotten over also. Kaitlyn takes some sick bumps and her spear looks great.. she just needs to get some TV time back and they should allow her to show off her goofy personality a little more.

Then in NXT you have Paige and Emma and Summer Rae (looks like she is starting to work the main shows now) who are all ready to make the leap. 

I would ALMOST be excited for the future of the division if I didn't know any better... 

You guys worrying about missing out on vanilla midget flippy dudes are missing one huge problem: a new, good big man hasn't debuted since Big Show.

There was, but Vince let him slip away...
How long until The UWA is aired on ESPN Classic?
  • Like 2

Honestly, I haven't been to an indy show since 04 or so and most of what I see on youtube makes me not regret that. I think something like Chikara with the continuity and different attempts at narrative are hugely worthwhile but that has nothing to do with the in ring product. Most of the time when someone like Dylan pimps an indy match and I watch it it's because one of the guys is actually trying to let things breathe and sell and tell a story in the ring and he's mostly convinced the other guy in the ring to at least try with him. Even the best stuff I see is a pale reflection of not just what I'm enjoying in the 80s project and what not but what the WWE is offering. 

I actually think everything worthwhile about indy wrestling, you can still get with WWE taking the most talented guys. You can still get close to the action and interact with the wrestlers more directly and have some investment in a local guy and watch him get better and develop and watch really sleazy wrestling and laugh at promoters pushing themselves and cheer a local goofball hero like Starman or whatever. Athletic talent doesn't have much to do with any of that.

RE: Chikara, so this happened.

CHIKARA RETURNS?
By Mike Johnson on 2013-11-02 16:11:00
The CHIKARA promotion, which was "shut down" at the end of their final iPPV, is running what was described as a "guerrilla event" this afternoon in Philadelphia, PA at FDR Park. The show is being streamed live on UStream.tv.

The idea here is that the roster is doing this on their own as a way to fight back at their corporate owner, who has shut the company operations down.

The archived event.

The show started with Gavin singing a horrible song about Chikara. Right after the first match, Condor Security kidnapped a fan and shut the show down. They proceeded to walk around looking at graffiti and garbage for clues. Then the phone died.

• Like 1

RE: Chikara, so this happened.

CHIKARA RETURNS?
By Mike Johnson on 2013-11-02 16:11:00
The CHIKARA promotion, which was "shut down" at the end of their final iPPV, is running what was described as a "guerrilla event" this afternoon in Philadelphia, PA at FDR Park. The show is being streamed live on UStream.tv.

The idea here is that the roster is doing this on their own as a way to fight back at their corporate owner, who has shut the company operations down.

The archived event.

The show started with Gavin singing a horrible song about Chikara. Right after the first match, Condor Security kidnapped a fan and shut the show down. They proceeded to walk around looking at graffiti and garbage for clues. Then the phone died.

I was at this. I couldn't stay the whole time but I went and it was a blast. Wearing my I AM CHIKARA shirt as we speak.

I know how people feel about the overall "Shut Down" but the guerilla event idea is pretty awesome, especially if it also got shut down. If all this had been condensed into a couple of months as opposed to most of the year it would have been really awesome.

Were you followed?

Keep an eye out, everyone, for shitty posters that may have followed FSW back. You'll know them by their BAZINGA! Avatar and Madison Rayne cleavage signature.

• Like 1

I needed a pic of Mark Henry and went on cageside seats I guess. Everyone was all "Mark Henry was shit for 15 years waaaah" and I immediately retreated to the safety of the hive mind. How can so many shitheads be so uniform in their shitheadery?

Can you imagine what would have happened to you if you didn't end up here, kid?

I needed a pic of Mark Henry and went on cageside seats I guess. Everyone was all "Mark Henry was shit for 15 years waaaah" and I immediately retreated to the safety of the hive mind. How can so many shitheads be so uniform in their shitheadery?

Can you imagine what would have happened to you if you didn't end up here, kid?

You guys wouldn't like Mark Henry!

• Like 1

Cageside Seats has been pretty brutal since they got the new guy Mrosko or whatever running the site. Not to be too mean or anything, but the quality of articles started to go down then along with the quality of comments. 

Cageside Seats has been pretty brutal since they got the new guy Mrosko or whatever running the site. Not to be too mean or anything, but the quality of articles started to go down then along with the quality of comments. 

You mean that ass-clown who banned me for calling him out for putting Impact spoilers above the cut on the main page?

What's Davey Richards need a bag for? Isn't he just in his gear at all times in case someone at Starbuck's disrespects his soy latte?

Nah, I think he's the guy complaining about the lack of almond milk, who then proceeds to tell you all about his paleo diet adventures, and how soy is full of phytoestrogens that are the reason you're a skinnyfat barista, and not a prime physical specimen, like himself. Pretty sure he's that guy.

Don't hate on almond milk, man. That shit's good.

Sunflower milk too.

Also, I read that as "Skinnyfat Batista."

You mean that ass-clown who banned me for calling him out for putting Impact spoilers above the cut on the main page?

Yeah, that sounds like something he would do, from what I have seen. I don't really read there anymore because he seems to take suggestions poorly and lashes out like your typical message board poster, which is probably one of a handful of signs that he's not the guy for the job. 

SB Nation is a weird beast. Some sites are fantastic posting from guys that are doing more-than-blog level work, and there are other sites that are just above some dude's Angelfire fan page from 1998. I don't really know what their goal is over there - fan-run sites or high-level analysis and journalism from bloggers that are reporters/analysts first and fans second. 

I just can't understand how we can see the same Mark Henry and they see everything through this bizarre, dickless lens that makes Mark Henry somehow less awesome than he actually is.

It's not even the same as the Punk stuff, anyone that doesn't dislike Punk can usually see why people do hate him. We're talking about a dude who has been a top talent for eight years and guys are just writing him off and saying embarrassing shit like PUNK WOULD JUST QUIT INSTEAD OF FACE HENRY AT MANIA.