DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

What about Bryan vs. Generico when he's called up? Or Bryan vs. Taker? Or Bryan vs. Big E in a couple years?

I reeeeeeally want to see Heel Bryan work over Generico. That's a dream match for me, for sure, but I know I'm getting it for free. If it was a first televised match on a PPV in Chicago, I'd go, for sure. If it was the 10th match after 2 months of TV matches, which is what will most likely be the case, probably not.

Bryan vs. Taker is a maybe. It all depends on the story around it. I don't buy Bryan beating Taker - not like I could barely by Michaels/Trips/Punk - and I didn't buy Punk winning all that much at all. So their match would be a "watch me look great losing match" which would probably still be good, but doesn't really have any emotional weight. 

Big E, I care least of all about. His mystique is gone and just like everyone else he's become a decent TV guy who will win some lose some and that's it. 

I think that's what's missing, emotional weight. The matches are great but the angles let us know it's all a show and that wins and losses aren't supposed to matter. But that stuff does matter. I want to back a winner. I want an uinderdog to beat a winner. I don't want .500 guys facing .500 guys all the time.

WWE currently is not that far off from the early 90's WCW, which I love the shit out of posthaste (started following wrestling in 1995). A lot of good workers putting on good matches, with inconsistent booking and too many chefs in the kitchen proposing ideas. I am sure that fans in 1991 were wondering why the hell is Bobby Eaton always trading wins with Terry Taylor and the York Foundation? Now, it is damn the Eaton/partner versus York Foundation matches pretty good. The WWE desperately needs a new tippy-top star, and realistically it will not be Punk or Bryan (could have been both if everything fell together perfectly, but it did not happen). They should be focusing on guys that have gotten over without a big push and/or shown signs of potential in brief microphone work. Stone Cold Steve Austin cut damn good promos in WCW in 1993-1994 and in ECW in 1995. He was more thought of as a good and versatile worker, but the promo signs to catapult a wrestler into superstardom were there. I actually think that Kofi is really good on the mic when given time, but his character and ring style would drastically need to change in order to be taken as a serious main-eventer.

I have always felt another problem is people still want to compare today's market to the one from the Attitude era and that is not attainable, at least right now. So when The Rock shows up and ratings slightly uptick, those people probably aren't going to stick around.

Wrestlemania XXX we have an idea of who will be making up the card, even if we do not know for sure who'll be exactly facing who. Wrestlemania XXXI, who is headlining? What are the big matches we all will want to part with our money to see? I feel like beyond Cena/Taker there is no match that leaves me uncertain and curious. Maybe Punk/Austin if they could convince Austin.

Speaking of money, $45 for regular, $55 for HD and then at Wrestlemania time it is $70. How do you lure anyone in? Jeez, make lesser cards like TLC, Hell in a Cell, Battleground, etc. cheaper and I don't feel like I am costing myself some fun nights out later in the month if the PPV ends up mediocre. Why would I want to pay $55 to see Night of Champions? Honestly, why? I didn't feel it was worth the expense to go live or to buy the PPV. If I want to see something really bad, I might buy a DVD, after the fact. It'd be real interesting to see if they pushed something like TLC real cheap and made a big stink about it, see if it pops the buy rate at all. Its the holiday season when everyone is spending money, why not lure some more people in with a cheaper PPV? Want to see Big Show go one on one with Triple H after all these months? Only $30 dollars! Plus Kofi Kingston will do something crazy stupid off a ladder and other fun stuff! Right now everything got diluted due to running three PPVs in seven weeks and it showed.

Also, when standing next to Andre the Giant, Dusty Rhodes looks almost svelt!

Can you imagine what it must have been like when those two went out to party after a show? Andre drinking gallons of beer, Dusty calling up Dick Murdoch looking for that dang ol mule.

Can you imagine what it must have been like when those two went out to party after a show? Andre drinking gallons of beer, Dusty calling up Dick Murdoch looking for that dang ol mule.
Imagine the mufflers.
  • Like 5

Sorry man, I was digging all that buildup and then you delivered KOFI?!!

Kofi's brief feud with Orton at the end of 2008 with the MSG moment and some of his promo work during that time was the first thing that popped to mind. It ended up fizzling out when they refused to put Kofi over in a singles match and sent him scuttling back down the card. That was almost five years ago now, and he is probably damaged goods at this point. I know that Punk thinks highly of Kofi and believe that his potential has been squandered.

Cody is another guy that has had some moments on the mic, and is currently getting a decent push now. Hopefully he can build on it when he returns to singles action in a few months.

• Like 1

Can you imagine what it must have been like when those two went out to party after a show? Andre drinking gallons of beer, Dusty calling up Dick Murdoch looking for that dangol mule.
Imagine the mufflers.

That story doesn't hold water for several reasons, but it still cracks me up every time.  In case anyone doesn't get the joke:

Can you imagine what it must have been like when those two went out to party after a show? Andre drinking gallons of beer, Dusty calling up Dick Murdoch looking for that dangol mule.
Imagine the mufflers.

Big Johnny, ya got ya muffla in baby?

• Like 1

Ian Rotten just announced he's received a clean bill of heath and is now 100% cancer free.

TPI 2014 Opening Promo

"Now ladies and gentlemen, I believe that in my deepest darkest times, the powerrrr-ah of ah-JESUS helped me overcome Satans cancer, now if you could see it in your souls just to send me $10, and if you dont have $10 dollars ladies and gentlemen, send me $5, just send whatever you can so that I can continue the lords work, for I, Ian Rotten have been bless-ed, yes suh, I have been blessed with the POWERRR-AHHH OF JEEESUS! AMEN"

WWE currently is not that far off from the early 90's WCW, which I love the shit out of posthaste (started following wrestling in 1995). A lot of good workers putting on good matches, with inconsistent booking and too many chefs in the kitchen proposing ideas. I am sure that fans in 1991 were wondering why the hell is Bobby Eaton always trading wins with Terry Taylor and the York Foundation? Now, it is damn the Eaton/partner versus York Foundation matches pretty good. The WWE desperately needs a new tippy-top star, and realistically it will not be Punk or Bryan (could have been both if everything fell together perfectly, but it did not happen). They should be focusing on guys that have gotten over without a big push and/or shown signs of potential in brief microphone work. Stone Cold Steve Austin cut damn good promos in WCW in 1993-1994 and in ECW in 1995. He was more thought of as a good and versatile worker, but the promo signs to catapult a wrestler into superstardom were there. I actually think that Kofi is really good on the mic when given time, but his character and ring style would drastically need to change in order to be taken as a serious main-eventer.

I agree that there are a lot of similarities with 90's WCW. WWE Main Event is basically uh WCW Main Event, Superstars is WCW Pro(which no one was able to get on TV then either), Raw is your Saturday Night and Smackdown is your Worldwide.

Imagine the mufflers.

That story doesn't hold water for several reasons, but it still cracks me up every time.  In case anyone doesn't get the joke:

Hahaha, hold water.

I think the big problem with WWE is that they need more new faces in the mix. People have taken to Daniel Bryan because he's relatively new on the WWE scene, much like they took to Punk. But he's still facing Randy Orton and Triple H, who have both been around forever. John Cena's been on top for years now. Orton is one of the least compelling main eventers ever.

J.R. made a great point about people overstaying their welcome - if it means getting rid of some old faces to bring up some new ones, so be it.

• Like 2