DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

I stayed up to watch SummerSlam 2013 for Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena, Brock Lesnar vs. CM Punk and Alberto Del Rio vs. Christian. I’m glad I did as the first two matches were terrific and the other was great. Bryan/Cena was my Match of the Night and my WWE Match of the Year. I bought SummerSlam 2013 when it came out on DVD this week to re-watch those matches. I did that yesterday feeling the same way with two additions, Bryan/Cena for me was a classic and might be my overall Match of the Year. Thoughts?

Gonzalez, on 31 Oct 2013 - 3:11 PM, said:Posted Image

Who did the Shawn Micheals impersonation on the Scott Hall Art Of Wrestling episode? That shit had me cracking up.

I would like to know as well.

It's not a road trip without Kid.

Now after listening to the whole podcast I found out that it was Caylen Croft of The Dudebusters. Pretty funny stuff.

I stayed up to watch SummerSlam 2013 for Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena, Brock Lesnar vs. CM Punk and Alberto Del Rio vs. Christian. I’m glad I did as the first two matches were terrific and the other was great. Bryan/Cena was my Match of the Night and my WWE Match of the Year. I bought SummerSlam 2013 when it came out on DVD this week to re-watch those matches. I did that yesterday feeling the same way with two additions, Bryan/Cena for me was a classic and might be my overall Match of the Year.

You really think Bryan vs Cena is better than the recent Tanahashi vs Okada match? I do not.
  • Like 1

I thought Cena Vs. Bryan was very average for a big championship match. In fact all of Bryan's championship matches have been very average since Summerslam. The only really great matches to me he's had since the start of his big campaign for the title were the gauntlet matches featuring The Real Americans, Ryback, and The Shield. 

The tricky thing with Cesaro vs Zayn is that it builds heavily from the previous matches, so people can't just pick it up and understand how good it is. It makes it an amazing total picture, but doesn't fit as well into the usual MOTY box people have.

I stayed up to watch SummerSlam 2013 for Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena, Brock Lesnar vs. CM Punk and Alberto Del Rio vs. Christian. I’m glad I did as the first two matches were terrific and the other was great. Bryan/Cena was my Match of the Night and my WWE Match of the Year. I bought SummerSlam 2013 when it came out on DVD this week to re-watch those matches. I did that yesterday feeling the same way with two additions, Bryan/Cena for me was a classic and might be my overall Match of the Year.

You really think Bryan vs Cena is better than the recent Tanahashi vs Okada match? I do not.

I with you on this.  I wouldn't put much of anything over the Tanahashi/Okada matches this year, or especially Ishii vs Shibata. Of the handful of WWE matches I've seen this year, I'd def put the Rhodes/Shield matches, Punk/Lesnar and the Bryan guantlet above Bryan/Cena.

That Ishii Vs. Shibata match is sick. I remember really liking the pre-Wrestlemania RAW match between Punk & Cena too.

WWE has actually had a lot of really good in-ring wrestling this year. Especially with The SHIELD boys. After awhile though, they sort of start to blend together & I can't remember which match is which. That's how I feel about Tanahashi/Okada too. None of the matches are bad, hell most of them are great, but after you've seen it six times, it sort of doesn't feel like it's anything new anymore.

I don't remember Punk/Lesnar really. I need to re-watch it. I do remember Brock/HHH with Brock being the pinball for some reason.

Cena/Bryan was amazing. I think, though, I'm going to go with either of the Rhodes Boys vs. Shield matches.

That's just because I love tag team wrestling above all other wrestling and the story arcs in both were remarkable. Some people didn't like the beginning oft he Raw match but the final segment of that match was off-the-charts great. It was really magnificent storytelling -- The Rhodes Boys prove they aren't a fluke and beat the near unbeatable Shield; Big Show helps them win after being forced to punch out their father and regains his dignity; the whole crowd celebrates with the YES! chant that has come to represent everyone (especially Daniel Bryan) against The Authority. I legitimately think it was one of the single best Raw matches of all-time.

The first match between the two teams was amazing, too. Fan favorites getting revenge against the young pucks to salvage their career and help Dusty Rhodes get revenge against the evil McMahon clan. The work in the match might have been better but the storyline intricacies of the Raw match take it up a level. I just love it when a match ties into storylines so beautifully. Pure magic.

Like Matt D said -- Zayn/Cesaro really builds off the two previous matches. It's not a standalone match. Even if you watch it as a standalone match, it's brilliant. But if you saw the entire series and angle, it's even better. The crazy thing is -- that's a legit amazing match but was the third best match of that week, consider Cena/Bryan and Punk/Lesnar were just a few days before.

We're all sleeping on Punk/Cena from February. That's the Flair/Steamboat of the current era -- two guys whose styles compliment each other perfectly.And The Shield stuff might be its own separate category.

• Like 1

Both are terrific and you can't go wrong with either. I underrated the recent Tanahashi/Okada match on a first viewing when tired till I watched it the second time today and I was wrong. It's their best match now. I cared about Cena/Bryan because Bryan is a long time favourite of mine and THAT ending:

Posted Image

I think I had too many expectations from Bryan/Cena.  I didn't know going in that Cena was hurt, so it's understandable that it didn't live up to what I wanted.  It seemed like they wanted a super highend epic classic, but couldn't quite get there. 

Both are terrific and you can't go wrong with either. I underrated the recent Tanahashi/Okada match on a first viewing when tired till I watched it the second time today and I was wrong. It's their best match now. I cared about Cena/Bryan because Bryan is a long time favourite of mine and THAT ending:

Posted Image

Hey, that's the Knee That Beat John Cena!

Posted Image

Hey, that's the Knee That Beat John Cena!

I want people to start calling it the Doomsday Knee.

http://youtu.be/UhMbqRL5_T8?t=20m58s

I missed it by one day but the Mulligan vs Blackwell match from the 78 end of year Mid-Atlantic special is back on youtube. Blackwell's gear is awesome and Halloweeny and he's pretty great in general. It's also one of the better Mulligan matches I've seen even if still frustrating. Anyone who got the AWA set should watch it.

http://youtu.be/UhMbqRL5_T8?t=20m58s

I missed it by one day but the Mulligan vs Blackwell match from the 78 end of year Mid-Atlantic special is back on youtube. Blackwell's gear is awesome and Halloweeny and he's pretty great in general. It's also one of the better Mulligan matches I've seen even if still frustrating. Anyone who got the AWA set should watch it.

Blackwell was a hell of a worker (™ and © Les Thatcher) despite his girth.