DVDVR Message Board

NXT TakeOver: WarGames IV - 12/6/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Man, I only fully saw the both WarGames matches, since I fell asleep on the couch, which is super comfy, but anyway:

Women's match was super. The heel team went in with a stellar strategy. They obliterated the face one woman advantage almost the entire time and Gonzales redeemed herself by pinning the champ for the win, after losing the advantage ladder match. It was reallygood when Kai was the first one in this time. I guess as a penance (Candice suffered for her actions too, last year) and just in case she gets ideas again, this year!

Men's WarGames was really good too, it didn't need to go THAT long, seriously! But the best bit was when McAfee had actually leveled up during the match (either the moonsault through the table, or the swanton off the cage) to become a real wrestler, since Panama Sunset only got two. Also, when he thought about getting the F out of the cage when left 4 on 1 (I would have, if I'm paying the other three a lot of money, anyway)! I did figure that if UE somehow win, it has to be down to O'Reilly.

I need to watch the middle of the show again, later.

...Ok, Thatcher v Chiampa was marvelous. Nasty bleeding from Timmy's ear and all. Neither guy really could have afford to lose this one. I figured their styles would mesh well and they did. What will Thatcher do now? Probably go and snap one of his poor students' arms again.

The strap match was actually WAY better than one would have expected, since this has been mostly comedy up to this point. Kinda like the Hog Pen Match between HHH v Henry Godwinn was way more brutal than just guys throwing pig poo at each other back in '95. I enjoyed that and I enjoyed this one, quite a bit as a matter of fact.

Wait, so Prince will be back this Wednesday and now the  doomsday clock starts ticking again! Karrion Kross is about to reclaim his rightful throne? I don't think even Balor's gonna have much to say about that! Because his jaw will be rebroken promptly.

Triple Threat for the NA title was action packed. Gargano trying to end it immediately was nice. Ruff sneaking in to punch Johnny from beneath Priest's arm was good times. I wonder if Ruff will go after the Cruiserweight title next, or is he like Bob & Crash Holly and only bother with (super) heavyweights? All these matches were really something. Also, Austin Theory coming back could prove to be the thing to break the Gargano-curse, unless he'll end up beating Johnny for the title immediately.

Hell of a show, this one.

Edited by Shartnado
Watched the rest of it again.

So the faces in the women match throw weapons into the ring (chairs, ladders, a toolbox containing a hammer) while having the one person advantage and they still lose - they did a good job of burying the current and two former NXT women's champions. Raquel was booked as a monster babyface despite being a heel. Ripley continued her losing streak on NXT.

• Like 1

The Wargames matches were good strategic booking - the female heels were outmatched on paper so the win elevates them all, and especially Gonzalez. And UE pinned Lorcan, rather than McAfee so the feud is prolonged.

But I don't like WOAHGAMES as content-creation, any more than I like 2 random TLC matches with no real build and the usual random HITC matches.

Looking forward to Team Sting at BLOODANDGUTS in a real Wargames match, coming sometme, maybe.

Addendum: LeRae getting hurt basically means Blackheart likely won't get a real blowoff for their feud, which is a pity for her. Hartwell I guess will proxy to an extent, but it won't really be the same. She went to war and she lost. 

Edited by RunningFromAmerica

I think people are really sleeping on Thatcher/Ciampa - that was really, really good stuff; too good for its position on the card really.

Thatcher is losing a lot, but I don't think it matters *that* much because he delivers that 'shit is on' feeling and that's bigger than wins or losses. I remember Bill Eadie talking about how in his Masked Superstar promos he wouldn't say he was going to win, but he said he was going to hurt his opponents and he made good on that. 

• Like 2

Thatcher/Ciampa was fucking aces and I think anyone, even those kinda burnt on WWE's style would enjoy it, because it wasn't typical WWE, it was mat based hate.   Even at the end, they looked like they were kindred spirits and i could see them teamed up to hurt fools down the line.  Ciampa had a look like "this motherfucker right here made me work" and Thatcher was like "this motherfucker right here made me bleed my own blood"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/6/2020 at 6:39 AM, The Natural said:

I've never seen any of those spots and rewound the last one a dozen times. Mauro: "DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWO"

EDIT: Hey waitaminute. They've been teasing Ghostface Killah showing up in WWE? Tony Starks himself?

Edited by Curt McGirt

Thatcher/Ciampa was real nice, same spirit as Balor/KoR from a couple months back. Unfortunately the rest of the show was back to overkill city. The women's match was good in that regard, but the other three were worse off for it. They all had good finishes, but kept sputtering in the middle, and no one came out looking as good as they should have.

On 12/7/2020 at 6:14 PM, RunningFromAmerica said:

Thatcher is losing a lot, but I don't think it matters *that* much because he delivers that 'shit is on' feeling and that's bigger than wins or losses..

Really nailing that modern day Regal/Finlay vibe he's going for.