DVDVR Message Board

NXT TakeOver: WarGames IV - 12/6/2020

Dolfan in NYC

The tradition continues:

WARGAMES MATCH - The Undisputed Era (Cole (Bay Bay) / Fish / Strong / O'Reilly) vs. The Kings of NXT (McAfee / Lorcan / Burch / Dunne)

WARGAMES MATCH - Team Shotzi (Shotzi Blackheart /  Ember Moon / Rhea Ripley / Io Shirai) vs. Team Candice (Candice LeRae / Toni Storm / Dakota Kai / Raquel Gonzalez)

TRIPLE THREAT FOR THE NXT NORTH AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIP - Leon Ruff (c) vs. Damian Priest vs. Johnny Gargano

STRAP MATCH - Dexter Lumis vs. Cameron Grimes

Timothy Thatcher vs. Tommaso Ciampa

If it was based on the better match the women's match should be main event.  I have a feeling Shotzi is going to do something absolutely insane, dangerous, and memorable.  Plus you got people with no fear in Io,  Candice,  and Dakota Kai.  Ripley was great in her War Games match

But it is UE so I figure that is the main and is going to be WAYYY too long.  I guess it depends on the UE future.  If they are moving up then Kings should win.  If they aren't then Macfee needs to be the JJ Dillon of the match

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, hammerva said:

If it was based on the better match the women's match should be main event.  I have a feeling Shotzi is going to do something absolutely insane, dangerous, and memorable.  Plus you got people with no fear in Io,  Candice,  and Dakota Kai.  Ripley was great in her War Games match

But it is UE so I figure that is the main and is going to be WAYYY too long.  I guess it depends on the UE future.  If they are moving up then Kings should win.  If they aren't then Macfee needs to be the JJ Dillon of the match

I'm also hoping the women go on last.

As good as the women's match should be, the build for UE vs. Kings has been stronger so it makes sense if the latter runs last. That said, I kind of want the women to go on last anyways because they were screwed out of the main event last year. They had the better match and build then.

• Like 1

Wouldn't be an Adam Cole match if it wasn't 15 minutes too long.    I think it is very appropriate that the table that sold the less was the one with his name on it. 

But luckily the main pieces of the match were who they should have been.  Kyle O'Reilly and Pete Dunne.  Both were amazing in the match

• Like 2

The hype for this show kind of got slept on due to all the talk about this past week's AEW show, but the buildup and match listing was quality.

Thatcher and Ciampa was great and the best non wargames match of the show. Their styles meshed well and there was a lot of good hard hitting work from both guys.

Grimes/Loomis was fine for what it was. I like Grimes a lot and Loomis is decent enough but the stipulation didn't interest me all that much.

Like a lot of Takeover matches in recent years, the North American title three way would have been better if it was a bit shorter. Priest looked very good even though he didn't win. Revealing Austin Theory as Gargano's co-conspirator is one of the least desirable outcomes I can think of.

Both Wargames matches were fantastic this time around. There were a lot of fun spots and interactions without any major blunders. The men's match definitely could have had ten minutes trimmed off but everyone got their time to shine. For a guy with little experience, McAfee looked better than plenty of others who have been at it a lot longer.

Cole and Gargano both had matches that went to long.  Io it's the best kind of crazy.  Dexter Lumis has the best eyes. Cameron Grimes is everything i want in a mid card act except his name.  Danny Burch low key looks like Frankie Kazarian from various angles.

Leon should of won. Then do ghost beat down to set up tv.

• Like 1

I caught the show after not watching much NXT this year. Enjoyed almost all of it. When did Damian Priest get good? I actively disliked him on the indies, but he had legit star quality here. WWE house style has done wonders for him. 

The trash can spot where Dakota Kai (I think it was her) came off the top rope on Io when she was still in the damn trash can was just crazy. I legit wasn't sure if they were going to be able to get her out of there, that trash can was screwed up so badly.

Women's War Games was great as expected. Loved how they screwed the faces out of their advantage with Raquel just being a general powerhouse and how they kept Io out. Io's eventual entrance was insane and wonderful. Ending wasn't what I expected, but I kind of love it since it pushes Raquel.

Ciampa/Thatcher was a nice cool down from the war games match while also managing to build into a pretty nice finish. These two worked well together. Wouldn't mind another match.

Lumis/Grimes was a solid match with the stips involved.

Ended up loving the triple threat. Its easily Priest's best work in NXT. He picked his big spots well, and I loved all of his moments with Ruff. Ruff himself was pretty damn good as well and showed tons of spirit. Really wish he won this one though it was kind of impossible to do that once they had Gargano bringing out the Ghostface army. Theory being involved is the only negative thing here. 

UE vs. Kings was awesome. O'Reilly & Dunne looked fantastic from beginning to end. Pat was a tremendous shit heel and died on some nice big spots. This didn;t drag nearly as bad as some of the previous War Games though it did still go around 5 minutes too long.

Great show overall.

Man, Ruff really should've won if the big Ghostface reveal was Austin fuckin' Theory of all people. Really fun show tonight outside of the strap match being kinda draggy due to me not giving much of a shit about Lumis.