DVDVR Message Board

The WON HOF THREAD

OSJ

Ballot:

Spoiler

It's time for the 2021 Hall of Fame elections.

This ballot is being sent out to major wrestling stars, past and present, major management figures in the industry, writers and historians.

If you are getting this, you are being asked your opinion on who should be inducted into this year's Hall of Fame class. The criteria for the Hall of Fame is a combination of drawing power, being a great in-ring performer or excelling in ones field in pro wrestling, as well as having historical significance in a positive manner. A candidate should either have something to offer in all three categories, or be someone so outstanding in one or two of those categories that they deserve inclusion.

The names listed below are those under consideration for this year. To be eligible, a performer must have reached their 35th birthday and completed ten years since their debut as a full-time performer, or be someone who has been a full-time pro wrestler for at least 15 years.

Longevity should be a prime consideration rather than a hot two or three year run, unless someone is so significant as a trend-setter or a historical figure in the business, or valuable to the industry, that they need to be included. However, just longevity without being either a long-term main eventer, a top draw and/or a top caliber in-ring performer should be seen as
relatively meaningless.

The election is broken down into a number of categories. You should check each category for wrestlers that you feel you are familiar enough with based on geography that you've either traveled or are familiar with, and based on the time you have followed pro wrestling. You do not have to vote for a wrestler in every category you've checked.

The ballot is also broken down to wrestlers and those who are not pro wrestlers but have been valuable parts of the industry.

The maximum number of wrestlers that you can vote for all the categories is ten. You can pick as few as zero if you don't believe anyone on this list deserves inclusion.

For wrestling executives, managers, announcers and other outside the ring performers, you can vote for them and they are not counted against the ten. You can vote for as many as five of them.

All responses are confidential. There is nothing to worry about politically about any involvement in this process. Your selections will not be revealed unless you choose to do so yourself.

Anyone who receives mention on 60% of the ballots from the geographical region and time frame (broken down as Continental United States & Canada; Mexico; Japan; and the rest of the world) will be added to the Hall of Fame in the class of 2021.

If you are unfamiliar with any of the candidates due to geography of having never seen them, that is fine. Ballots are sent to many people from all over the world and from different wrestling cultures so that everyone has as fair a shot at possible.

The breakdown for modern and historical performers is 30 years ago, or 1991. So if the last year the person was a headliner, or was a key figure in the industry, was prior to 1990, they would be in the historical class.

All performers who receive mention on 10% to 59.9% of the ballots from their geographical region or era will remain on the ballot for consideration next year. All those who receive less than 10% of the vote will be dropped from next year's ballot. They can return in two years based on if there is significant feedback from voters who say they will vote for them. This is mostly for wrestlers who are still active who may improve their career legacy, but can be for retired wrestlers if voters believe they should be put on or returned to the ballot.

In addition, in following the lead of the baseball Hall of Fame, which is the model here, we have a 15-year-rule. The following candidates have been on the ballot since 2007. In baseball, this would be their last year of eligibility. Here, if they don't get at least 50% of the votes in this year's election they will be removed from the ballot. If they are modern candidates, they can be brought back in the historical performers era in two years if it is more than 30 years since their career as a Hall Fame level performer is up:

The following candidates will be dropped from next year's ballot unless they are elected in or garner 50% of the vote:

Don Owen
Sgt. Slaughter
Jim Crockett Jr.
Enrique Torres
Johnny "Wrestling II" Walker

Please return this ballot by December 2nd. You can e-mail the ballot back to [email protected] or fax it to 408-244-3402 or mail (please do so by November 25th) to Wrestling Observer, P.O. Box 1228, Campbell, CA 95009-1228.

Please check by every category you are familiar with

I FOLLOWED THE HISTORICAL PERFORMERS ERA CANDIDATES

Ole Anderson
Bob Armstrong
Hollywood Blonds (Buddy Roberts & Jerry Brown w/Sir Oliver Humperdink)
Jerry Brisco
June Byers
Buddy Colt
Wild Bull Curry
Cowboy Bob Ellis
The Fabulous Ones (Stan Lane & Steve Keirn)
Pampero Firpo
Black Gordman & Great Goliath
Archie "Mongolian Stomper" Gouldie
Rocky Johnson
Sputnik Monroe
Blackjack Mulligan
Johnny Rougeau
Enrique Torres
Von Brauners & Saul Weingeroff
Johnny "Mr.Wrestling II" Walker

I FOLLOWED THE MODERN PERFORMERS IN U.S/CANADA CANDIDATES

Tully Blanchard & Arn Anderson w/J.J. Dillon
Nikki Bella
Junkyard Dog
Bill Dundee
Edge
Charlotte Flair
Bill Goldberg
Matt & Jeff Hardy
Kamala
Rick Martel
Jon Moxley/Dean Ambrose
Paul Orndorff
Randy Orton
C.M. Punk
Seth Rollins
Sgt. Slaughter
Trish Stratus
Rick & Scott Steiner
Ultimate Warrior

I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN JAPAN CANDIDATES

Cima
Satoshi Kojima & Hiroyoshi Tenzan
Yoshiaki Fujiwara
Hayabusa
Kota Ibushi
Kyoko Inoue
Tomohiro Ishii
Naomichi Marufuji
Tetsuya Naito
Kazuchika Okada
Meiko Satomura
Katsuyori Shibata
Takashi Sugiura
Akira Taue

I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN MEXICO CANDIDATES

Los Brazos (Brazo de Oro & Brazo de Plata & El Brazo)
Sangre Chicana
Psycho Clown
Los Hermanos Dinamita (Cien Caras & Mascara Ano 2000 & Universo 2000)
Dorrell Dixon
Pirata Morgan
Mistico/Caristico
Octagon
La Parka AAA
Huracan Ramirez
Rito Romero

I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN EUROPE/AUSTRALIA/NEW ZEALAND/PACIFIC ISLANDS/AFRICA

Sypros Arion
L'Ange Blanc (Francisco Pino)
Big Daddy
John Da Silva
Roger Delaporte & Andre Bollet
Dominic DeNucci
Billy Joyce
George Kidd
Killer Karl Kox
Kendo Nagasaki
Jackie Pallo
Rollerball Mark Rocco
Johnny Saint
Ricki Starr
Adrian Street
Jose Tarres
Otto Wanz

NON-WRESTLERS

Lord James Blears
Dave Brown
Bobby Bruns
Bob Caudle
Jim Crockett Jr.
Bobby Davis
Joe Higuchi
Jim Johnston
Takaaki Kidani
Larry Matysik
Stephanie McMahon
James Melby
Don Owen
Reggie Parks
Morris Sigel
Tony Schiavone
George Scott
Mike Tenay
Ted Turner
Stanley Weston
Grand Wizard

Interested in seeing the percentage Kazuchika Okada will get as a first ballot Hall of Famer, what the comeback does for CM Punk candidacy and the performances of Akira Taue, Tetsuya Naito, Kota Ibushi and Tomohiro Ishii. I can see Punk, Taue and Naito getting in at some point.

Edited by The Natural

I’ll research it myself at some point, but are there any teams in the HOF who were together as briefly as Tully and Arn?  (Edit: I checked.  No, there are none).  They only teamed for a little over two years.  I loved watching them work, and they won titles in two national promotions, but that’s a really short run, relatively speaking.  

Edited by Technico Support

There's a lot about the Hall of Fame that doesn't make sense and the whole situation with tag teams is one of them. Dave's only recently started to say that guys can get in twice through being in a tag team and a singles, or through being in two tag teams, and there's plenty of tag teams made up of two HOF guys that realistically should have gone in in the inaugural class but didn't - Ray Stevens should be in thrice over between  his singles career, team with Patterson and team with Bockwinkel. Stan Lane should also be in twice for being in the Fabs and the Midnights. I don't think Tully and Arn as a team are HOF worthy just because of how briefly they teamed but they are both HOF worthy in their own right.

• Like 2

Taue should be in twice for singles and the Holy Demon Army. Not sure how many Misawa teams qualify, but at least Misawa/Kawada and Misawa/Kobashi. Not Misawa/Ogawa though. Ratboy ain't deserve it.

• Like 1

On the radio show today - Dave said he thinks Okada and George Kidd are the two "no brainers" on the ballot

So that says to me that Dave is just gonna put George Kidd in no matter how people vote

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Most disgusting promotional tactic - Bruce Mitchell on Observer Radio.

What exactly does this have to do with the topic of the WON HOF?

4 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Didnt we used to have a separate thread for that? Or was it always just in the omnibus thread? 

This is the thread now

I made the mistake a few years ago of making a dedicated thread for one year.

• 1 month later...
On 12/7/2021 at 5:08 AM, The Natural said:
When do we find out who gets in? Thanks.

Whenever Dave feels like it

And I don't mean that to sound flippant but it very much is whenever Dave gets around to it.

For example - the ballot only went out at the beginning of the Nov. Last year the results were posted before the end of Nov. So he is already behind last year's schedule

I am sure there is a "due date" on when ballots need to be submitted but after that it is when Dave has the time to finish the writeups.

There was one year he didn't post them until like April. Usually he will randomly say on a radio show or in the WON "okay the HOF issue is the next one".

If I had to guess - it will be mid-January at the earliest. (I think Dave was supposed to go to Japan for the 1/4 show but I think that is off now due to COVID protocols.)

• Thanks 1