DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 11/25/2020

7 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

I hear you. But at the same time, I'm focused on what they're trying to do (what I'd called "too much") and the results ("muddled, confusing personas where people don't know quite what to latch onto"). To use your own analogy regarding prestige TV, if they were serving me up The Sopranos (or hell, even The Deuce), I'm not going  to complain. But I don't want to see shows or movies try to be that, crawl up their own butt, and fall well short. If all you can make me is a decent Tom Cruise action movie, I say K.I.S.S. and be as good at that as possible.

All of this. It's about the execution, not the idea. Don't shoot for Mulholland Dr and give me Southland Tales. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

I know we all have our own line for where that separation of church and state should be, but the equivalent would be Oberyn and the Mountain hugging after trial by combat, no? 

I was thinking "ar some point" during the whole story, not necessarily "at some point" during or immediately after the actual match. Even I can see that that wouldn't work?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Starks never really did anything for me in the NWA, but man oh man is he great in AEW. He's quite good when he sits on commentary for Dark too. 

They absolutely miscast him as a face in NWA. He's got one of those inherently punchable faces. I just wish he wasn't so overexposed.

I like Southland Tales.

The wierdest AEW fan theory I've seen is that the booking of Hangman is Kenny working through his issues over the last few years. Basically that Hangman is Kenny, Kenny is Kota Ibushi, the Young Bucks are NJPW and FTR are the WWE. Or something.

• Like 2

Kenny has absolutely become the surrogate Ibushi and Okada in AEW. I don't think he's quite as good at that as he is playing the guy chasing the ace but he can learn and this new persona is definitely better suited to it than regular ass Kenny Omega we got in year 1 of Dynamite.

• Like 1

Also wanted to note the first three matches, which took us past the first 45 minutes of the show were John silver, will Hobbs and top flight, all virtual unknowns just months ago. And all are people that it seems like the majority of us want more airtime. Good stuff. 

• Like 4

Thought the show was good, but man, MAN I am sick and fucking tired of Taz's ECW style "shoot" bullshit. Fuck all that. Last night was the peak of that. Stop fucking name dropping Tony Khan. Stop name dropping other executives. Stop talking about Cody and others as VPs. Just fucking stop. It's so incredibly cringey too me and it doesn't work.

Also, fat fuckin' Taz can't even get his sausage arms around skinny Cody for a proper Tazmission and Cody has to look stupid as fuck selling that lame shit. Just, ugh, just stop. The moment Taz became a manager I fucking knew this is where we would be headed and shoot stuff doesn't work because no one thinks it's a shoot. No one. We're now probably a week or two weeks away from Taz coming out and being like, "You wanna shoot, brotha, then I'll shoot."

That was the worst shit about WCW and I just don't want to see that ever again. It worked in ECW because ECW was the outlaw fed and we were all, like, 14 and 15 and shit and thought that was real and cool.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Goodear said:

There’s a difference between having characters with flaws and every character being an asshole.

Wait. What? 

Are you insinuating that every character on Dark and Dynamite is a 'hole? If so, that truly makes your Scouting Report thread a fascinating thought experiment. 

Also, I'd argue that Aubrey Edwards, Excalibur, Riho, Shida, Best Friends, Scorpio Sky, Jurassic Express, Top Fight, and Sonny Kiss, at the very least, are all pretty much Lawful Good.

Certainly I'd agree that you don't want every character to be a 'hole. Then you'd get, let's say, AEW = Westworld and I hope that we can all agree that would be terrible. 

25 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

Also, I'd argue that Aubrey Edwards, Excalibur, Riho, Shida, Best Friends, Scorpio Sky, Jurassic Express, Top Fight, and Sonny Kiss, at the very least, are all pretty much Lawful Good.

Aubrey doesn't put up with Jericho's shenanigans and isn't as wacky as some of the other refs. Excalibur is lawful neutral at best.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Thought the show was good, but man, MAN I am sick and fucking tired of Taz's ECW style "shoot" bullshit. Fuck all that. Last night was the peak of that. Stop fucking name dropping Tony Khan. Stop name dropping other executives. Stop talking about Cody and others as VPs. Just fucking stop. It's so incredibly cringey too me and it doesn't work.

Also, fat fuckin' Taz can't even get his sausage arms around skinny Cody for a proper Tazmission and Cody has to look stupid as fuck selling that lame shit. Just, ugh, just stop. The moment Taz became a manager I fucking knew this is where we would be headed and shoot stuff doesn't work because no one thinks it's a shoot. No one. We're now probably a week or two weeks away from Taz coming out and being like, "You wanna shoot, brotha, then I'll shoot."

That was the worst shit about WCW and I just don't want to see that ever again. It worked in ECW because ECW was the outlaw fed and we were all, like, 14 and 15 and shit and thought that was real and cool.

I didn't find it shooty at all. Taz came out wanting to talk to an EVP about making the FTW Championship legitimate. It's not like they don't talk about Cody, The Bucks and Kenny as being EVP's... it was lore before the first episode of Dynamite even ran. It's not like the Russo era WCW of writing for the tiny geek culture internet audience. 

The Tony Khan call outs are so lame because when he eventually appears on screen as an authority figure (and if the volume of name drops does not abate it will become absolutely without question that at some point he will), he won’t be some roided, jacked up egomaniac carny promoter-to-the-bone McMahon type, he’ll be a skinny nerd who had an analytics business and is physically & charismatically dwarfed by the talent. Gotta get rid of those name drops and keep the guy firmly out of the picture. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jiji said:

Kenny has absolutely become the surrogate Ibushi and Okada in AEW. I don't think he's quite as good at that as he is playing the guy chasing the ace but he can learn and this new persona is definitely better suited to it than regular ass Kenny Omega we got in year 1 of Dynamite.

Playing the ace is a lot harder a role to play then playing the chaser of the ace. 

And yeah, I'm not a fan of the worked shoot stuff, though Taz complaining about the lack of respect of FTW belt makes sense, thought it should never get any respect because ti's an unsanctioned belt.  Maybe use it to set up Cage/Darby some more, have Darby "win" the belt then destroy it?

I get Gordi's prestige TV comparison. The thing is that Tony Soprano and Walter White are the heels. It's easier to be a nuanced heel, they can be doing bad things for the right reason and all that. It's much harder to be a nuanced face because the extremes that a villain goes to get the job done can be excused by his villainous nature and is still for a greater good but if a hero does it, it's a failure of his character. I don't want to cheer for Vic Mackey, for instance.

5 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

We're pretty convinced in my house that it's going to be revealed that Hangman is the one who attacked Moxley before the contract signing

So based on what Moxley said ("I don't know who you got...") either -

A) The attacker attacked from behind
B) The attacker was in disguise
C) The attacker is someone Moxley doesn't know, and may be someone completely new to the company

Edited by The Green Meanie

On 11/26/2020 at 3:48 PM, El Gran Gordi said:

Also, I strongly feel that, for the majority of modern fans, booing the bad guy and cheering the good guy is no longer the point.

True,

They are tired of that same old simplistic theory of "Good guys" vs. "Bad guys" 

844e9f985ba30fc402d9fc98950ca4a1.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/26/2020 at 10:35 AM, J.T. said:

In Mox's defense, it's not a very original catchphrase so I wouldn't accuse him of stealing it from Balor.  

Agreed, I thought if anything it was poking at Kingston since he was using that line during his Impact run in 2018.