DVDVR Message Board

AEW Scouting Report

Goodear

6 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

HoC, you are walking a thin line.  For further reference, see the saying under my avatar. 

Nope he is gone

Who else wants to fucking piss me off today

• Thanks 8

• RIPPA unlocked this topic

Does anyone know if AEW signed any new since Goodear started doing this (based on the rogue starting point he used in the first thread)?

I figured it might be helpful for folks using this thread as a resource to know who has to be gone back and done

(If anything on those two sentences made sense)

26 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Does anyone know if AEW signed any new since Goodear started doing this (based on the rogue starting point he used in the first thread)?

I figured it might be helpful for folks using this thread as a resource to know who has to be gone back and done

(If anything on those two sentences made sense)

I don't think they did aside from Sting.  Unless Hook got added recently but I haven't checked the site yet.

Oh, and thanks a lot for taking care of that issue before.  It's gonna be nice to resume discussion about talent without having to see ignored users part of it.

• Like 3

I'm pretty sure The Acclaimed and Jade Cargill also got added to the roster page as I was going down the list which is why Bowens got such a brief shot. I skipped Jade assuming I could go back at the end and maybe have some data to look at but she got sucked into the BBV as soon as she arrived and has yet to emerge. I'm going to skip Sting too for now since, if he ever wrestles again, its not fair to him to project him out.

Trent?

It's funny how negative this list seemed to start and how strong it's finishing up. Seems the good parts of the roster are in the later stage of the alphabet. What I love most about Trent is that he wrestles so angry. He frequently projects that he's legitimately annoyed or strait pissed even when he's working Dark and I would recommend watching for that moment during his matches when he flips that switch usually during a strike exchange. It's probably his best characteristic that has really gone unreported on. This is saying something as Trent has lots of positive qualities including some good offensive moves (pretty much all of them are executed really well) and some really good wobbly leg selling which Rey Fenix also does to good effect. 

Trent's got a bad habit of running his fingers through his hair a lot. It's his Ted DiBiase tights adjustment that once you know to look for it, you see it all the time. You're welcome! 

Trent to me, is the best wrestler in the Best Friends triad match-to-match although Orange Cassidy tends to get more attention and arguably has higher highs than Trent. Trent's issue is that he tends to get lost in the shuffle in such a large roster when he could be featured much more prominently. Right now, he'd be lucky to get one of those random title shots that Scorpio Sky and Rey Fenix got where they would get good matches out of the champion, but the likelihood of a follow up is minimal.

• Like 3

Wardlow

Wardlow is such a beast and with his limited experience, he's really coming along nicely as a power heel. I think if the Jake Hagar match showed us anything, its that Wardlow is better off working with some smaller guys rather than having Hoss fights right now. Working with smaller guys is obviously going to be easier since he doesn't have to walk a line between being dominant and also not making the other big guy look good. Wardlow doesn't seem to have that level of experience quite yet and is better off not having to worry about maintaining that balance. So when he gets to act more dominant, Wardlow presents better. Obviously, his offense is really good with the F10 and his swanton being very nice and his elevated corner knee strike being a great murder move. 

Booking wise, Wardlow is suffering a little because he had to just stand there for quite some time and only now is he able to talk more. I would want AEW to establish some more character traits for him in order for him to be more than the guy that stands behind MJF. 

I'm so psyched for Will Hobbs. You have no idea.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Goodear said:

Trent?

Right now, he'd be lucky to get one of those random title shots that Scorpio Sky and Rey Fenix got where they would get good matches out of the champion, but the likelihood of a follow up is minimal.

Considering he is out with a torn pec yes he would be lucky to get a title shot ?

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Goodear said:

Booking wise, Wardlow is suffering a little because he had to just stand there for quite some time and only now is he able to talk more. I would want AEW to establish some more character traits for him in order for him to be more than the guy that stands behind MJF. 

Speaking of booking I just remembered MJF berating him talking about how he owns him. Considering there's been no hints of that since he said it I wonder if they dropped it. Because that would be baffling unless they find a way to circle back to that. 

13 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Speaking of booking I just remembered MJF berating him talking about how he owns him. Considering there's been no hints of that since he said it I wonder if they dropped it. Because that would be baffling unless they find a way to circle back to that. 

I was thinking about that recently too and with how the commentators are putting Wardlow over it looks like he'll eventually get a babyface push. AEW has been pretty good with building storylines so they'll probably go back to MJF berating him while the Inner Circle falls a part. I could see him and possibly Sammy or Santana/Ortiz coming out it as babyfaces as well.

• Like 1

Will Hobbs

Or Powerhouse Hobbs if you run the AEW roster page constantly battling with the alphabet. 

Hobbs is a wrestling genius and no one noticed and should be given the goddamn keys to the goddamn kingdom. Get your 7 star matches out of here and give me the smartest wrestler in AEW. How smart is Hobbs? Let me give you several examples that you can find on your own.

Example one: Ricky Starks vs Will Hobbs: watch this one for the finish where Hobbs gets up for the Rochambeau ala Ray Traylor taking the slingshot suplex for Tully Blanchard. Here’s a 300 pound guy taking a power finish from a much smaller guy with a secondary finish that would have worked fine. But not for Hobbs, his job is to get Ricky over and he gets up for the holy shit finish.

Example 2: Hobbs vs Orange Cassidy. Will is still in ‘get these people over’ mode and how’s he do that with Cassidy? He takes one Orange punch and goes home for the night secure in the thought he just hammered the star over. Why? Cause that’s how you get people over!

Example 3: Hobbs vs John Legacy (I think, whatever) Will’s time to get over and he doesn’t make the mistake of taking thinking he’s already over so he just cleanly dismantles his guy with some power offense, swatting the guy out of the air, forcing a tests of strength, three suplex variations in a row, clean decisive finish! That’s how you do it! You hit more than 2 moves in a row Brian Cage!

Example 4: Hobbs and Starks vs Cody and Darby. An honest to god hot god damn tag where Darby barely escapes to tag out rather than the cold tags AEW guys do all the time where no one is there to even try to stop people. Hobbs works a rag doll bear hug! 

Hobbs is GREAT.  Star in the making. Should be AEW champion after Hangman.

• Like 3

This them?

The WWF roster for February 1993 was as follows: Hulk Hogan, Tito Santana, "The Brooklyn Steve Lombardi, Brett "Hitman" Hart, Randy "Macho Man" Savage, Jim Powers, "The Birdman" Koko B. Ware, "The Model" Rick Martell, "The Million Dollar Man" Ted Dibiase, Virgil, "Hacksaw" Jim Duggin, Shawn Michaels, "Mr. Perfect" Curt Hennig, Luke Williams, Butch Miller, Typhoon, The Undertaker, Brian Knobbs, Jerry Saggs, "The Mountie" Jauques Rougeau, Mike "I.R.S." Rotundo, Beau Beverly, Blake Beverly, "Skinner" Steve Keirn, "Tatanka" Chris Chavis, "The Rocket" Owen Hart, Barry Horowitz, Papa Shango, Crush, Fatu, Samu, Scott "Razor Ramon" Hall, Bob Backlund, Yokozuna, Matt "Doink the Clown" Borne, "Terrific" Terry Taylor, Damian Demento, Marty Jannette, Bam-Bam Bigelow, Rick Steiner, Scott Steiner, Jerry "The King" Lawler, "The Narcissist" Lex Luger, The Giant Gonzales, Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake TOTAL ROSTER: 45

Cause let me tell you I have opinions on Damien Demento.

Edited by Goodear
  • Like 2

They should get Cody on commentary and he can tell us they're booking him like Evolution Batista in the same way he did with Darby being Sting at the start of the pandemic.

Why doesn't this board have a Cody logo emoji? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Who wants a six month review?

Nobody?

Tough.

Aaron Solow

Last Time: New Signing

Since Last Time: Came in as a member of the Nightmare Family where he mostly teamed with Lee Johnson but was part of the faction that turned on Cody and became The Factory.

What Now?: Solow isn't completely untalented although I think we would be hard pressed to put him on the top tier of AEW in ring talent. I would put him on the same tier as a Alan Angels who doesn't embarrass but doesn't always impress either. He's clearly the most sound of the Factory trainees while having the lowest upside of the three. He seems to be mostly around to provide the meat of tag matches and eat losses. I would say this isn't a terrible spot for a guy with few superlatives and serves decently as the second tier coach for the guys with less experience. I would love to see him put together some increased form of identity in order to find a persona of his own beyond "the fourth guy". Hopefully with more shows coming down the pike, AEW will give the shows some singular identities and do some sort of pseudo brand split where different talents are highlighted more frequently with actual angles. This can give Solow some sort of opening to establish the identity he desperately needs. 

• Like 4

Abadon

Last Time: 

Abadon has one of those gimmicks that should stir creative ideas instantly. Honestly, if you can't look at Abadon and have 3 good booking ideas, you should not be writing for wrestling. She's the type of character that should always be up to something if only for the spectacle ... Working skills are less important to a character like Abadon but she does some of the little things right. She should never lock up. She shouldn't out think anyone ... All in all Abadon may not be ready for a big push but she is someone who should be featured in the undercard a lot. She needs booking protection in that she really shouldn't be beaten flat but can eat pinning combinations and disqualifications. She's a spectacle wrestler and AEW doesn't really have those (especially in the maligned women's division).

Since Last Time:  Abadon spent a lot of the last six months on the Youtube shows outside of a short series with Shida for the women's title. She ended up eating Shida's running knee finish and was beaten pretty flat with no outs. All in all, she spent a lot of time making occasional appearances on the Youtube shows and recovering from an injury from a match with Tay Conti.

What Now?: One of the things that are needed for a healthy women's division is to have things going on that don't revolve around the actual women's title. Abadon could be helping by working the B or C feud in the division as a roadblock or serving as the Abdullah the Butcher working outside of the title picture. As she currently stands, Abadon can serve as a puzzle that an up and comer like Red Velvet has to solve in order to move up the card. Instead she has spent much of her time spinning her wheels. I do believe that Abadon is a bit of a missed opportunity thus far. She leaps off the page in terms of look but they haven't been able to make her reality match that presentation. One could argue they've had similar issues getting Penta Zero M into a position where his cool look pays dividends. I can't say that Abadon isn't holding up her end as she continues to work her gimmick effectively by wildly flailing at the opposition like a zombie/lunatic would.